U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 PM

2,074 posts, read 865,132 times

Advertisements

My dad has been in and out of Rehab /nursing facilities over the past year. The people seem to care, place is clean (they don't accept medicaid) food ok. But for all that it just seems they stick you in rooms and don't pay much attention unless it was time for therapy. There was someone in the family there most of the time and we were having to constantly remind them of misc. things. When we suspected a bladder infection, which we pointed out because of the cloudiness and discolored urine (had a cath. so could see it clearly) We had to ask over and over again for them to do something, which I thought was odd, shouldn't they notice these things. Of course it was a infection which affects his physical and mental status. Apparently this affect is very common in older guys with bladder problems. This type of thing happened more than once, is it apathy or neglect?

This was not outright neglect but if we were not there would it ever been checked on. What about those who don't have someone looking out for the constantly.

I have a feeling apathy is very common even in the best places.
If apathy is present in the best places I would be not shocked of abuse of the not so great places. To take away an avenue to punish places who neglect will make it easier without repercussions to neglect. There has to be a better way.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 08-11-2017 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 02:47 AM

4,451 posts, read 2,626,458 times
I've had plenty of my share of hospital stays, have been at the bedside of loved ones in the care of health care facilities.

You are right, they don't pay attention except for the routine Drs visit daily and the change of staff. God help you if you need anything during shift change!!

They are really thinly stretched, sometimes 15-20 patients to one nurse. And nursing assistants are I'll equipped to do more than change dirty linens or aid to the toileting. And they are stretched and stressed too.

Fortunately I have mostly been able to ambulate, and am fairly self sustaining and self sufficient, even without visitors.

In one 12 Month rolling period I spent a total of 8 months in the hospital for various reasons.

But heaven help those who need something, especially at shift change. They should have at least one floater nurse available then. Otherwise you gotta wait at least an hour for anything you need the nurse for..like a pain med dose.
Best service I saw was a change to procedure that involves the outgoing nurse and incoming nurse go door to door with the brief reporting the patient they are passing, instead of looking solely at charts during handoff. That at least put the patient, room, and ailment front and center in person rather than the dark recesses of off limits room exclusive to nurses.

I liked that idea. That was at my last bout of pneumonia which lasted 15 weeks.

It's hard to be a caretaker, I know I was one for my mother for a solid 14 years if my younger life (ages 9-23) and often in older till her passing. Fortunately I also had a sibling and father to share the burden.

I think it's sad that you can't sue for wrongdoing.
But they are often overworked, overwhelmed and haven't much time to devote to each of their patient on their patient load.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,677,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The fox in the hen house may be the laws and costs we now have because of the frivolous law suits.

So you are saying that right now the reason nursing home care is frivolous lawsuits. Do you know that for a fact?
Not only are there many frivolous lawsuits but that they win in court and pay out big sums? Is that also fact?

The average person manages to live their life never having to sue or being sued.

So even though most people never sue anyone, there are so many frivolous lawsuits that that is why nursing homes are so expensive.

We all have different standards. Some people think anything they disagree with is abuse. Anything that goes wrong is the doctor's or hospital's fault.

True, that is what the court system is for. Judges have been know to throw out egregiously frivolous lawsuits.

Some suits are needed but they are few and far between.

xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,677,255 times
Interesting article about arbriation clauses (not related to nursing homes)

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/b...f-justice.html

Basically this and all the other areas is a stripping of rights in favor of corporations.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:08 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,463,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
...I don't know about the specific of 3rd party arbritation here but I have heard that it has been a disaster in other situations where these 3rd party arbritation offices? can be extremely poorly run with little oversight and downright corrupt.
One of the key differences is legal discovery. With ADR (alternative dispute resolution), you usually do not have the right of discovery. That's a big drawback.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 08-12-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,463,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't know how successful lawsuits are. My great aunt died in a long term care facility because when she complained of not having an appetite they gave her milk shakes 3x a day for a week, they only stopped when she went into diabetic coma and died. I guess the nursing staff who was giving her the milkshakes never noticed that she had diabetes.

Her son tried to sue and couldn't find an attorney who would take the case - the reason was because she was so old, the attorneys said it's just about impossible to get a settlement when someone over 90 dies unless there was physical abuse.
That is a shame, and such things as that are all too common. I wonder what goes through the minds of the employees in nursing homes -- do they just not give a darn? How could they NOT know she's diabetic -- don't the administer insulin?

It sounds like her son tried to find an attorney to take the case on contingency. Instead, he could have hired an attorney directly, paying the attorney fees out of his pocket. It gets expensive, but he could also have been awarded attorneys fees if he won.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:06 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,260,089 times
I read something in our local online news that really sickened me and I think the father of this young man has every right to sue, if that is what he decides to do.

His son is about 30 years old and many years ago he was in a horrendous car accident that left him completely dependent, and for lack of a better term, in a vegetative state. He currently lives in a group home. His father visits every day and on two of those visits at separate times has discovered maggots in his son's larynx opening.

I can't imagine finding that in a loved one who is completely unable to help himself.

What is wrong with some of the people we depend upon to give decent care to our loved ones and at some point, to us when that time arrives?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:33 AM

9,224 posts, read 9,295,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Frivolous lawsuits are out of control and it all adds to the the cost of everyone.
Which isn't the topic here. The topic here is specifically about suing nursing homes. If you want to have a general discussion about frivolous lawsuits, I suggest you to the Great Debates of Poitics forums and post specifically on frivolous lawsuits.

The same goes for the posts from Thinkalot.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 AM

25,360 posts, read 41,506,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't know about the specific of 3rd party arbritation here but I have heard that it has been a disaster in other situations where these 3rd party arbritation offices? can be extremely poorly run with little oversight and downright corrupt.
This is not bothering me.

You don't know. But have heard. "can be extremely poorly run" etc, etc, etc...

It is a complex issue with various sides making various allegations. I actually have higher priorities which affect my living family more.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,249,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Mistreatment, neglect, abuse, etc is best reported to the state's Department of Health and the CMS, i.e., Medicare complaint avenues. Nursing home are certified by these entities in order to receive Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement. Complaints by consumers must be investigated and places do get shut down if they are not in compliance with care standards.
Agree 110%. Suing nursing homes is an industry here in FL. In many cases, the suits are becoming the retirement plans of adult children suing on behalf of mom/dad in the nursing home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or