Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:04 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times

Advertisements

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#3acbed2593c4

I suppose for most older retirees the change would affect the ability of children to sue a nursing home on behalf of their parents.
But I also worry that it will lower the bar on care and even abuse for everyone.
I don't know about the specific of 3rd party arbritation here but I have heard that it has been a disaster in other situations where these 3rd party arbritation offices? can be extremely poorly run with little oversight and downright corrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 11:18 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#3acbed2593c4

I suppose for most older retirees the change would affect the ability of children to sue a nursing home on behalf of their parents.
But I also worry that it will lower the bar on care and even abuse for everyone.
I don't know about the specific of 3rd party arbritation here but I have heard that it has been a disaster in other situations where these 3rd party arbritation offices? can be extremely poorly run with little oversight and downright corrupt.
I don't know how successful lawsuits are. My great aunt died in a long term care facility because when she complained of not having an appetite they gave her milk shakes 3x a day for a week, they only stopped when she went into diabetic coma and died. I guess the nursing staff who was giving her the milkshakes never noticed that she had diabetes.

Her son tried to sue and couldn't find an attorney who would take the case - the reason was because she was so old, the attorneys said it's just about impossible to get a settlement when someone over 90 dies unless there was physical abuse.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
The cost of care at these facilities have become very high. I'm curious how much is related it legal fees/payouts/insurance coverage by these health care organizations. Maybe only a small fraction? In another forum I post on a son is posting about the high priced cars he's driving due to a settlement for a parent in a nursing home. Like medical malpractice, these suits can get out of hand.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The cost of care at these facilities have become very high. I'm curious how much is related it legal fees/payouts/insurance coverage by these health care organizations. Maybe only a small fraction? In another forum I post on a son is posting about the high priced cars he's driving due to a settlement for a parent in a nursing home. Like medical malpractice, these suits can get out of hand.
What he does with the money from a settlement has nothing to do with whether the lawsuit was worthwhile. Can he only sue if he is penniless? Or is the suit about wrongdoing? Oh, he should donate it all to charity?

Old 08-10-2017, 07:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Frivolous lawsuits are out of control and it all adds to the the cost of everyone.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Unfortunately the potential abuse in nursing homes or by home health workers is high.

Like the 90 year who dies - who cares? There is however a pretty big spread of both ages and level of "sickness" in nursing homes. The one my mother was in for a few week had several younger people (30s?) with physical disabilities, people there for care till some thing healed like a bad break, all sorts. A visitor of my mothers roommate told me that the woman had been there for many years, that when she first was put in the nursing home it wasn't because she was too old or demented but because the husbands new wife didn't want to deal with her, and she seemed very sweet.

I don't think it should matter if someone is 90 if they are getting abused or neglected.

I think when you take someone's right away to sue you are really letting the fox in the hen house.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

I think when you take someone's right away to sue you are really letting the fox in the hen house.

The fox in the hen house may be the laws and costs we now have because of the frivolous law suits.

The average person manages to live their life never having to sue or being sued.

We all have different standards. Some people think anything they disagree with is abuse. Anything that goes wrong is the doctor's or hospital's fault.

Some suits are needed but they are few and far between.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM

840 posts, read 1,120,197 times
I don't know if the ability to sue nursing homes makes a difference in how they operate. A few years ago, a relative sued a nursing home on behalf of a parent who was staying there. The attorney said the nursing home would not admit to any wrong doing and would only settle out of court. Nothing about the lawsuit was in the newspaper and the nursing home was not held accountable. They did settle out of court and there is no record of the amount the relative received in any court documents.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Mistreatment, neglect, abuse, etc is best reported to the state's Department of Health and the CMS, i.e., Medicare complaint avenues. Nursing home are certified by these entities in order to receive Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement. Complaints by consumers must be investigated and places do get shut down if they are not in compliance with care standards.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Normally, you can still sue, even if you signed a waiver. Many businesses just hope you don't know that.

The reason is because you can't sign away your rights, without getting something in return. So, if the law says you can sue, and you sign something where you agree not to - you have to get something of value in return.

In other words, in a contract for anything, each side has to get something in return for agreeing to the contract. This is basic contract law, but unless you've studied contract law, you wouldn't know that.

If it's not an "agreement", where each side gets something of value that they have willingly agreed to, then it has to be a law of some sort that says one side has to do something or not do something, even if they didn't get anything in return.

So, if there isn't a law that says people can't sue retirement homes, then even if you sign something that says you agree not to sue - then you have to get something of equal value in return. What are the odds of that?

The only value in the law under Obama, whom I adore by the way, is just that it makes suing them easier. And if something is against a law, then it's also a crime, which has its own consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement