Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:51 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times

Advertisements

I think this would fit in this forum. If not let me know. I usually think of odd questions and it seems to be rubbing off on my coworkers. We had two people in where I work today, both in their mid to late 80s. No relationship other than being retired and here at the same time. The woman was at the counter and when the man came in he started flirting (as usual) with our 30 something y/o treasurer before coming to me. After, on his way out he paused, looked to the treasurer and said "If you can't be good, dear, be careful." To which the woman at the counter quipped "If you can't be careful, name it after me." We all just broke up laughing.

The question arose among us shortly after was at what age can you start getting away this. If I tried it, even at 61, I'd be scolded or thought of as a dirty old man.

So, at what age do you change from dirty old lech to cute, flirty, old duffer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 01:29 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I think this would fit in this forum. If not let me know. I usually think of odd questions and it seems to be rubbing off on my coworkers. We had two people in where I work today, both in their mid to late 80s. No relationship other than being retired and here at the same time. The woman was at the counter and when the man came in he started flirting (as usual) with our 30 something y/o treasurer before coming to me. After, on his way out he paused, looked to the treasurer and said "If you can't be good, dear, be careful." To which the woman at the counter quipped "If you can't be careful, name it after me." We all just broke up laughing.

The question arose among us shortly after was at what age can you start getting away this. If I tried it, even at 61, I'd be scolded or thought of as a dirty old man.

You don't.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
i think this would fit in this forum. If not let me know. I usually think of odd questions and it seems to be rubbing off on my coworkers. We had two people in where i work today, both in their mid to late 80s. No relationship other than being retired and here at the same time. The woman was at the counter and when the man came in he started flirting (as usual) with our 30 something y/o treasurer before coming to me. After, on his way out he paused, looked to the treasurer and said "if you can't be good, dear, be careful." to which the woman at the counter quipped "if you can't be careful, name it after me." we all just broke up laughing.

The question arose among us shortly after was at what age can you start getting away this. If i tried it, even at 61, i'd be scolded or thought of as a dirty old man.

So, at what age do you change from dirty old lech to cute, flirty, old duffer? :d

never!!

Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Almost all men will turn into dirty old men at some point and it is never cute. Some of them might be demented in which case you might feel sorry for them, but that's it.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:04 PM

Wow. We must be odd up here in the sticks then. Do you folks all work in nursing homes? I could understand then. LOL

Old 08-10-2017, 02:12 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
This should be obvious, but if not I'll let you know...

The age where you *might* "get away with it" is in senescence, a stage of life where the organic life form begins gradual, but notable deterioration. While there is no magic number for when senescence begins, I can pretty well assure you that at 61 you're far too young. Entering senescence or in more general terms, becoming an "old timer" is something that (usually) begins after 70 or even 75 in many individuals. Diet, genetic predisposition, fitness, lifestyle and environment each affect health and vitality.

The reason why you would certainly be a "dirty old leach" right now is because you still have (though perhaps somewhat diminished) virility. You have enough strength, energy and sexual drive that could overwhelm or dominate a young woman.

When I was 18 I worked at a middle/working class country restaurant on the side of a busy interstate. We had all types walking through that door. The only men that "got away" with little flirty remarks were my classmates and the WWII veteran that was barely taller than me and probably weighed less too. As I recall he looked a little like George Burns, but was sweeter and more polite. A southern gentleman, but one who obviously still enjoyed the sights of young budding beauties.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:22 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

The age where you *might* "get away with it" is in senescence, a stage of life where the organic life form begins gradual, but notable deterioration. While there is no magic number for when senescence begins, I can pretty well assure you that at 61 you're far too young. Entering senescence or in more general terms, becoming an "old timer" is something that (usually) begins after 70 or even 75 in many individuals. Diet, genetic predisposition, fitness, lifestyle and environment each affect health and vitality.

The reason why you would certainly be a "dirty old leach" right now is because you still have (though perhaps somewhat diminished) virility. You have enough strength, energy and sexual drive that could overwhelm or dominate a young woman.

When I was 18 I worked at a middle/working class country restaurant on the side of a busy interstate. We had all types walking through that door. The only men that "got away" with little flirty remarks were my classmates and the WWII veteran that was barely taller than me and probably weighed less too. As I recall he looked a little like George Burns, but was sweeter and more polite. A southern gentleman, but one who obviously still enjoyed the sights of young budding beauties.
Exactly. For example Clint Eastwood, he can never get away with this, nor can Chuck Norris. Nor Vladimir Putin for that matter.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

That sounds like the guy that was in today. Although he doesn't weigh less. A big flirt but sweet and polite. He always looks around fro ladies before muttering words like "he77" and says it in a whisper. Sweetheart of a guy. Thank you. The ladies were wondering. I'll pass this on for our edification.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
It isn't so much about the age of who says what, but whether they actually mean it or not. The gay guy at one of our social groups is always saying the same flirty stuff to us and we all find amusing and laugh. Now if he were serious, we'd have to thump him up alongside the head or take away his chocolate or something.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:00 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
Quote:
They don't! I shuddered every time I heard my father talk that way to a waitress. Why do men think it's cute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement