U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Straddling two worlds
2,517 posts, read 799,044 times
Reputation: 1748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
They don't! I shuddered every time I heard my father talk that way to a waitress. Why do men think it's cute?
I also shudder to think what this guy thought was acceptable behavior when he was younger. No has always meant no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times
Reputation: 53465
Ah that Mainer humor

I think it depends on what kind of relationship you have with someone who is "older" and how long you've known them. I have a friend that I met on my late night dog walks and bike rides. He was 77 when I met him three years ago and I just stopped to chat with him. He looked so lost. It turns out his wife was divorcing him, and he was depressed.

At first it was just small talk and he seemed to enjoy the dogs. There were times about a year into the friendship that I never made it on my bike ride. We would sit and talk about everything for hours. That's when he told me things that he wouldn't tell a stranger. ( The mai tai's help too.) I never considered him a dirty old man, but rather a friend that was older that I could talk to about anything.

Had he been someone I had just met and we talked about those things, it may have been different. Sadly, I haven't seen him since before the 4th of July. I know somethings wrong, but I also feel like I'll see him again. I just wish I knew where he was so I could visit him now. Dirty old man? Nah. Just a lonely guy on the corner, and very much human like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Reputation: 32304
The "joke" related in the original post is just so lame, so junior-highish, that it's just not funny, in my opinion. Rather it's simply embarrassing. And I have a wide tolerance, and actually a great appreciation for, off-color humor. I feel sorry for the senior(s) who told it. Why do they think it's funny and clever to sound like a 7th grader at their age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Straddling two worlds
2,517 posts, read 799,044 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Ah that Mainer humor

I think it depends on what kind of relationship you have with someone who is "older" and how long you've known them. I have a friend that I met on my late night dog walks and bike rides. He was 77 when I met him three years ago and I just stopped to chat with him. He looked so lost. It turns out his wife was divorcing him, and he was depressed.

At first it was just small talk and he seemed to enjoy the dogs. There were times about a year into the friendship that I never made it on my bike ride. We would sit and talk about everything for hours. That's when he told me things that he wouldn't tell a stranger. ( The mai tai's help too.) I never considered him a dirty old man, but rather a friend that was older that I could talk to about anything.

Had he been someone I had just met and we talked about those things, it may have been different. Sadly, I haven't seen him since before the 4th of July. I know somethings wrong, but I also feel like I'll see him again. I just wish I knew where he was so I could visit him now. Dirty old man? Nah. Just a lonely guy on the corner, and very much human like the rest of us.
This is totally different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Arizona
182 posts, read 111,543 times
Reputation: 734
If I understood the OP correctly it was both the older man and older woman making the comments? If that's true, how come the old duffer is getting the heat and no one's talking the old dufferette ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times
Reputation: 9584
In 17 years when I turn 100, will I still be a dirty old man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 02:42 PM
 
6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
If I understood the OP correctly it was both the older man and older woman making the comments? If that's true, how come the old duffer is getting the heat and no one's talking the old dufferette ???
I wondered about that also, cuz I really couldn't tell who made the first comment. The older female or the younger one??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 02:44 PM
 
6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I wondered about that also, cuz I really couldn't tell who made the first comment. The older female or the younger one??
oh wait - he spoke first to the younger female and then the older female spoke up.

Maybe i'm not getting it - but I didn't see that as flirting, more of joking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
The question arose among us shortly after was at what age can you start getting away this.
It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of familiarity and what is said. It's just not a good idea to make certain comments to someone you don't know all that well. I have seen men in my senior apartment complex do this around women sitting in a group and chatting. It made the women uncomfortable because they didn't know the men and didn't know how to take the comments. Young or old, there's always those men who think a women just smiling at them is a come-on and means more than just a smile.

On the other hand, the men with whom the women were familiar could make jokes or flirt and everyone knew there was no harm in it. The women would laugh and respond.

Women have been taught to kind of be on their guard. It's just a matter of knowing a man well enough to know where he's coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,600 posts, read 19,939,787 times
Reputation: 45669
I think the intent of the flirter is important, as well as the sense of humor of the flirtee.

If the flirter really is hoping score, that's kinda gross, but if he is just having fun and being complimentary then it can be fun. I've dealt with all of the above.

I really don't see the harm.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top