U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 20,392,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No not Desert Rose but I know that was a very popular pattern back then. They were beautiful and my pattern is what seemed good back then, it's still pretty and simple. But I know my daughter won't want what's left so out they go.

I just sent my friend an email thanking her again for her time and work. Made my day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
MaryleeII

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5270985...=sr_gallery_32

Heritage is the pattern I got back in early 60's. I have one plate left. Over the years many pieces were broken and lost in earthquakes. Back when I got married I was very Early American and now am not at all. But I am glad to have 1 plate left. Desert Rose goes back to 40's.
How darling...you can get a plate hanger and hang it on the wall. I've got a few plates up.

I like that plate ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 12:08 AM

9,682 posts, read 15,867,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I've been try to get rid of stuff in my house. I've made progress so far. I listed my kid's textbooks on Amazon and I sold 3. They were not cheap, typical Computer science textbooks, but I priced them lower to sell them quickly. I sold two almost two brand new books for $65 each. I will do more to downsize.

I found the best way to sell books on Amazon is to price just a few cents lower than the lowest priced item. That way, your item pops up as the lowest priced. If people are shopping Amazon, they are looking for bargains, might as well be yours

Old 08-12-2017, 12:12 AM

9,682 posts, read 15,867,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
How darling...you can get a plate hanger and hang it on the wall. I've got a few plates up.

I like that plate ...

Oh, I love that, too! I would also suggest a wall hanger to display it!

My mother's desert rose does, indeed, go back to the 1940's. I remember it being the set we used for company, holiday dinners, etc. I read that Jackie Kennedy chose that pattern for use aboard AirForce One. Its hard to let go of my set, especially since my family is gone, at least I have tangible memory catchers!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:46 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,016,359 times
Japanese students told me that if they don't use it in eight months it's packaged clean to the alley, sold, traded, or given away. The best way to cure hoarding is to go work for a moving company for a month end. You'll come home and start packing "stuff" up.

Of course, photos (now scanned) and family memorabilia like war service, athletics, or career awards, etc. are exempt, but running a moving company for a decade cured me of accumulating. I like good tools but that's it.

We have one coffee cup from Eatons catalogue from the old original homestead. I still use it every day!!

Old 08-12-2017, 06:01 AM

1,062 posts, read 490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Japanese students told me that if they don't use it in eight months it's packaged clean to the alley, sold, traded, or given away. The best way to cure hoarding is to go work for a moving company for a month end. You'll come home and start packing "stuff" up.

Of course, photos (now scanned) and family memorabilia like war service, athletics, or career awards, etc. are exempt, but running a moving company for a decade cured me of accumulating. I like good tools but that's it.

We have one coffee cup from Eatons catalogue from the old original homestead. I still use it every day!!
I like this thinking.

:-)

Old 08-12-2017, 06:40 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,016,359 times
Default out it goes!!

Old 08-12-2017, 09:24 AM

13,235 posts, read 6,335,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I found the best way to sell books on Amazon is to price just a few cents lower than the lowest priced item. That way, your item pops up as the lowest priced. If people are shopping Amazon, they are looking for bargains, might as well be yours
I used to do that except Amazon used to pay me $3.99 for shipping. Now they don't. I called Amazon and they confirmed it to me. Plus Amazon takes a small amount in fee. I need to make sure I'm not sold at a loss, otherwise, I will donate to the library.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM

9,155 posts, read 8,669,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I used to do that except Amazon used to pay me $3.99 for shipping. Now they don't. I called Amazon and they confirmed it to me.
Hmmm...that's weird. I just tried to list a book for sale, and Amazon does collect $3.99 for shipping, which they credit to me as the seller. Do you live somewhere other than the US?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:50 AM

23,790 posts, read 8,268,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post

From what I know of the Japanese culture, they live pretty simply anyway. Simplicity. So many live in small houses and apts for starters.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:55 AM

13,235 posts, read 6,335,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Hmmm...that's weird. I just tried to list a book for sale, and Amazon does collect $3.99 for shipping, which they credit to me as the seller. Do you live somewhere other than the US?
In USA. Do you sell as individual? I got a customer service with a foreign accent, so I didn't believe his answer. But I asked him to check and he confirmed he was right. I may have to call again. Crazy!
I would price my books differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or