Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 06:49 PM

6,566 posts, read 4,957,949 times

Advertisements

I am not retired yet but on a major attic purging spree! My exh left a ton of stuff behind and it's been overwhelming. So much is up there I can barely move. I setup a shelving unit that used to be in the basement and that worked wonders to get some stuff off the floor. Turned one bin into an "electronics pile" and another box for CDs, disks and vcr tapes! Have already brought books to goodwill, tossed a lot of random junk, gift boxes, etc. Bringing some big items down tomorrow for scrap/trash. Very empowering and motivating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 07:07 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,720,695 times
This reminds me of a friend who lost her husband a couple yrs ago but he was a pack rat and had 25 of everything. Example, at a point he rode horses at their Big Bear cabin and he had 25 cowboy hats. He really left her with a ton to clean out and get rid of. They traveled the world a lot and had stuff from all over the world on their walls. Even a large sword.

No thanks and so glad I travel alone and am not choking on stuff.

Just occurred to me, thinking about the attic area, when my folks were gone my sister and I had to clean the house and get it up for sale...I don't think we even thought about the attic...wonder what was up there....I'm chuckling kinda.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,819,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No not Desert Rose but I know that was a very popular pattern back then. They were beautiful and my pattern is what seemed good back then, it's still pretty and simple. But I know my daughter won't want what's left so out they go.

I just sent my friend an email thanking her again for her time and work. Made my day.
I have Franciscan wear pottery...not Desert Rose but maybe Desert Gold...
Gold was so popular the year we married...
I don't use it but my daughter has offered to take it several times since she has married and moved into a home...

Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,395,310 times
Actually, I've been on a spree before reading this thread. Six good quality, like-new handbags donated, and one-quarter of the garage flotsam gone. There will be even more room once the donation stuff gets picked up. It's like I'm spring-cleaning and it's almost autumn.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:58 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,079,316 times
It sure seems like woman love to declutter and give away stuff easier than men. We are looking at moving in 2 years, and I dread to death getting rid of so much, and DW can't wait to get rid of as much as possible asap. I just have a hard time giving away stuff I paid good money for and may need in the future. I have no problem getting rid of knick nacky things. Or stuff I know I will never use. But I do enjoy my memory lane stuff once in a while.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:59 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,099,812 times
You folks will never believe this one! My good friends just moved to Europe last week and they gave me tons of stuff. So now, alas, I have even more stuff in my 3910 sq ft house. Among the goodies: a huge antique Georgian(the country) tapestry wall hanging, another one from Morrocco, about 20 Orthodox icons from Russia, some furniture, wine glasses, dishes, etc, etc.

Seeing their belongings in my home is comforting, since I'll miss them terribly. But.... it seems the more I attempt to give things away and lighten my possessions, the more stuff comes in. I haven't the heart to give away one item my friends gave me.

And oh yeah, they also gave me all their food and cleaning products.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
It sure seems like woman love to declutter and give away stuff easier than men. We are looking at moving in 2 years, and I dread to death getting rid of so much, and DW can't wait to get rid of as much as possible asap. I just have a hard time giving away stuff I paid good money for and may need in the future. I have no problem getting rid of knick nacky things. Or stuff I know I will never use. But I do enjoy my memory lane stuff once in a while.

Money comes and goes, we can't dwell on money we spent in our lifetimes...we'll drive ourselves NUTS.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
You folks will never believe this one! My good friends just moved to Europe last week and they gave me tons of stuff. So now, alas, I have even more stuff in my 3910 sq ft house. Among the goodies: a huge antique Georgian(the country) tapestry wall hanging, another one from Morrocco, about 20 Orthodox icons from Russia, some furniture, wine glasses, dishes, etc, etc.

Seeing their belongings in my home is comforting, since I'll miss them terribly. But.... it seems the more I attempt to give things away and lighten my possessions, the more stuff comes in. I haven't the heart to give away one item my friends gave me.

And oh yeah, they also gave me all their food and cleaning products.
Glad I live in 700 ft sq apt....the bigger the house the more we put into it. How about some pics around of your friends...all that stuff would never have a home with me, but it's me.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,410,625 times
It's fun giving stuff away - I'm always taking stuff to Goodwill or the local ministry thrift shop. Looking forward to doing more of that especially w/ bulky furniture I never use and only occupies space. I inherited it from others and they told me to not get rid of it because of sentimental value. But it is time to do so.....nice to know that others can use it and get it for a discount.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:34 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,362,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
we keep things out of attachment to the past or fear of the future.
Marie Kondo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement