U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 02:48 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,352,650 times

Advertisements

^^^True that the generation that lived through the Great Depression is soon to be only a memory... but, many I knew well were from this era where so many had nothing and little means to acquire...

Many of these same people are the type that would straighten bent nails, save nuts and bolts in jars and soup cans, same with little scraps ranging from wood to fabric.

Being a property manager for 35 years I see just how much people toss with much going to the landfills.

Like clockwork, around mid January the Christmas gifts would start to overwhelm the dumpsters... many were already broken... some simply wasteful...

A little girl wanted a pink Barbie bike and got it... a few weeks later it was next to the dumpster so I had to ask... the mom said the tire is flat so they were getting rid of it... it only needed air!

Having cleaned out a lot of homes bought As-Is in Estate Sales I have come across many things that interest me... still have a little 10x16 detached garage just the way it was when I bought the property 30 years ago... the workshop is just as the original owner had left it...

I hope to up-size when I retire... enough room to finally have a proper display of a lifetime of collecting automotive memorabilia and cars... 1905 to present.

Fully understand one person's dream is anther's nightmare... after that person is gone where is there still a problem... simply turn the items into cash or donate or call the 30 yard dumpster and start filling.

Where the problem is those remaining have guilt and the fear of tossing something valuable or missing something all together...

I tend to accept a lot of things and it has come back to bite me... my former boss gave me his car after he could no longer drive... NO ONE in the family wanted it 20 years ago... now several have hard feelings over it... I simply said I'm happy to give them the car if they pay the 20 years of storage costs ... $50 x 240 months = $12000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 05:31 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,352,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
It's fun giving stuff away - I'm always taking stuff to Goodwill or the local ministry thrift shop. Looking forward to doing more of that especially w/ bulky furniture I never use and only occupies space. I inherited it from others and they told me to not get rid of it because of sentimental value. But it is time to do so.....nice to know that others can use it and get it for a discount.
This I don't understand. It had sentimental value to the person who gave it to you? Has no sentimental value to you, does it? Should be no guilt giving away something like that, in my opinion.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:35 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,239,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
This I don't understand. It had sentimental value to the person who gave it to you? Has no sentimental value to you, does it? Should be no guilt giving away something like that, in my opinion.
They moved to independent care where the stuff couldn't be kept.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,881,967 times
Just a suggestion for getting rid of old clothes, curtains, rugs, etc---

Donate such to animal shelters, they always need such items to line the cages. I volunteered at an animal shelter and saw first-hand how great the need is. Anything washable is accepted. Towels, sheets, blankets, curtains, rugs, old clothing, etc can be used to line cages and make life a little more bearable for the animals.

If you donate such items to Goodwill, they just toss them unless they are in new or like new condition. They use old clothes to wrap up breakable items people purchase, talk about the ultimate recycling!

Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 PM

13,278 posts, read 6,356,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just a suggestion for getting rid of old clothes, curtains, rugs, etc---

Donate such to animal shelters, they always need such items to line the cages. I volunteered at an animal shelter and saw first-hand how great the need is. Anything washable is accepted. Towels, sheets, blankets, curtains, rugs, old clothing, etc can be used to line cages and make life a little more bearable for the animals.

If you donate such items to Goodwill, they just toss them unless they are in new or like new condition. They use old clothes to wrap up breakable items people purchase, talk about the ultimate recycling!
Oh no, I've been donating to Goodwill. No more. What about old pillows? Would that help animal shelter? I need to find my local animal shelter.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:04 AM

9,688 posts, read 15,881,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Oh no, I've been donating to Goodwill. No more. What about old pillows? Would that help animal shelter? I need to find my local animal shelter.
My local Goodwill even recycles old clothes, by using them as packing/wrapping for fragile items people buy. Imagine buying an item and having it handed to you wrapped in one of your donations

I really don't know about pillows for animal shelters, but just call and ask. When I volunteered, they would take anything washable. They do--nicely---ask that you remove old buttons, zippers, etc that could hurt an animal, however many don't. My job one day was to go through some donations and remove such. Even old socks can be used. We sliced them in half and used to wrap newborn kittens.

I do believe they will even take old, stuffed toys, something for an animal to cuddle, a comfort item. There again, call and ask. When you drop off your donations, you might just pick up a new fur friend!

Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 AM

39,322 posts, read 20,390,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
It sure seems like woman love to declutter and give away stuff easier than men. We are looking at moving in 2 years, and I dread to death getting rid of so much, and DW can't wait to get rid of as much as possible asap. I just have a hard time giving away stuff I paid good money for and may need in the future. I have no problem getting rid of knick nacky things. Or stuff I know I will never use. But I do enjoy my memory lane stuff once in a while.
Women are typically do the majority of keeping the house clean. Many also take care of the finances. Both are time eaters. A place for everything, not getting attacked by stuff when open a door.... Less stuff means it's easier to maintain a clean house and being organized makes you feel like you have life under control. With less stuff and being organized, life is simpler so you can enjoy the important things in life instead of being a slave to stuff.

The kids today seem to get what it took many of us years to learn. I've noticed they are opting for experience rather than stuff. Memory lane can be in your head when you think about the experience and smile.

Last edited by petch751; 08-14-2017 at 06:14 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 06:05 AM

39,322 posts, read 20,390,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
It sure seems like woman love to declutter and give away stuff easier than men. We are looking at moving in 2 years, and I dread to death getting rid of so much, and DW can't wait to get rid of as much as possible asap. I just have a hard time giving away stuff I paid good money for and may need in the future. I have no problem getting rid of knick nacky things. Or stuff I know I will never use. But I do enjoy my memory lane stuff once in a while.
A second thought is look around your house. If that was your parents things and you had the job of cleaning out how would you feel? My parents and in-laws were savers. We had to place Mom (no choice) and now we have to clean out her house. My brother and I DREAD it and feel overwhelmed. If you land in a nursing home what would you rather have.. your kids time used cleaning up your house or they use that time to visit you instead?

The common solution offered is to sell the stuff as if we are loaded with time. We didn't collect the stuff but we are left with the clean up. My mom will be MUCH easier than my in-laws. Oh god, I get dizzy just thinking about when that time comes, ever WORSE, DH will be towing some of the stuff over here. I'll have to stand guard to try to keep it to a minimum.

Last edited by petch751; 08-14-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,352,650 times
Not meant to offend but a person really is not required to do anything... I have bought several properties As-Is and it came with everything... mostly the kids if there are any or other relatives live on the opposite coast or even in other countries.

The physical clearing really is not that hard if there is no emotion involved...

I sort into piles... donation, trash, sell and keep... my keep has become very small... did find a couple of great books I am glad to have and a scrap book with pictures of the home being built back in 1922... kept that too.

One of my dear friends passed away at a retirement home... his only child and only granddaughter did not come for the funeral... it was left to the VFW and friends... I was really surprised but he lived in California, son in Florida and granddaughter in Minnesota... so had health issues.

Son... did ask for his father's gold watch, Service Medals and a few things that would fit into a 2x2 box... that was it.

I've had tenants become ill and pass in the hospital... again... no one from the family made the trip... some asked about bank accounts but how would I know?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-14-2017 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 07:33 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,817,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Money comes and goes, we can't dwell on money we spent in our lifetimes...we'll drive ourselves NUTS.
Spoken like someone with a fat bank account and an awesome income. Great job!

There are those of us who can't afford to be so cavalier with our funds. If there is real value to an item that can be recouped, it would be foolish to just give it away.

Unless of course, it really is just worthless crap.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 08-17-2017 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or