U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:22 AM

31,628 posts, read 19,955,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've made a goal of staying off Amazon.

They seem to have stuff I need that I didn't know I needed.
If I use it then I needed it!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 02:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/y...imes&smtyp=cur

Nyt discusses related topic.....

Old 08-20-2017, 06:47 PM

4,967 posts, read 3,454,424 times
I'm finding things I 'lost' during my packing. A juicer that I never used because I had put it in an inconvenient place. I'll use it now, starting tomorrow, before I pack it away. Someone brought a bunch of apples & put them in the community room. Fresh apple juice tomorrow!

I'm also getting rid of so much. Some to family, some to a thrift store, books to the fall festival book sale.

I'm not taking anything I don't now use.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:28 PM

1,056 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If I use it then I needed it!!!!
If I've made it so far without it, then I don't need it. I may want it, but want is not the same as need.

:-)

Old 08-21-2017, 06:29 PM

4,967 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Isn't that the truth!

Old 08-21-2017, 07:49 PM

31,628 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
If I've made it so far without it, then I don't need it. I may want it, but want is not the same as need.

:-)

Abiding by that would remove joy from my life. No bueno.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-22-2017, 07:00 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,620,301 times
Oh boy..is this thread ever my life right now. I am cleaning out after having been an executor for a friend who passed and the clearing out to sell her home was a lesson. And she was neat and not overloaded with junk. But just the closets, shelves, books, collections from travel and holiday items and then the paperwork made quite a job for three of us who were working.

In my own clearing out of three people's stuff..deceased husband and son in another state..I have tossed or recycled seashells from beach vacations, nut and bolts, screws, nails, gazillion tools and scraps of metal. Glass jars, old towels, nonworking electronics..on and on. But I am trying to recycle. Animal shelter, scrap metal foundry, Goodwill, thrift shops, Best Buy and on and on. It is time-consuming and backbreaking but I can't bear putting all this stuff in the environment. Still have VHS tapes to figure out. Then on to shredding. Husband kept every paper from the beginning of time. Funny but as someone here said it is a way to stop hanging on to the past and look forward.

My life is consumed with this project. Maybe it is time to take a break...after a little shredding!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:56 PM

6,876 posts, read 7,276,074 times
I got rid of 8 boxes of dishes and accessories. A friend uses stuff like that for crafts and makes new decor items.

It's amazing how much stuff one can accumulate over the decades. (My brother is paying for TWO storage units!)

Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 PM

13,216 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Got another text book sold. I also going to tackle the kid's box Disney videos next. A whole big box in my garage. I need to ask my kids if I can get rid of them.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:23 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I got rid of 8 boxes of dishes and accessories. A friend uses stuff like that for crafts and makes new decor items.

It's amazing how much stuff one can accumulate over the decades. (My brother is paying for TWO storage units!)
This is where I would draw the line... having to pay for extra storage... have met a few that did this and in the end lost it all because of unpaid storage fees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or