U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:27 PM

4,974 posts, read 3,458,710 times

Advertisements

I had a hard time giving up the second knife set. One set had attachments on each side for utensils but the second one was high quality. I chose the utility one & gave the second one to my niece who could not afford to buy anything like that.

Wish I'd had such a nice aunt when I was young!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:42 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,281,254 times
Quote:
This is where I would draw the line... having to pay for extra storage... have met a few that did this and in the end lost it all because of unpaid storage fees...
Just a few thoughts about storage and storage unit stories....
I am fascinated that we Americans have soooo much stuff that we'll pay other people to just hold it for us. I've traveled a bit, and I don't think any other country has a booming storage industry like we do in the States. It's crazy.

Isn't it so interesting that -- as we all know -- even as we have gotten older.....we (well, many people) are looking at, and thinking about possessions differently from before. The only thing I'm keeping now of inherited stuff s photos and vital records, except for VERY minimal clothing and decor items. And I'm not buying stuff, because I'm getting rid of what I already have!

As for storage units it has never even dawned on me to pay for a storage unit for anything. Thank goodness I've never even had to pay for one for a month when moving. Never had temporary time between moves. Other than that, I just can not see PAYING someone to hold my stuff for me. That in itself means I have too much stuff. I'd dedicate a bedroom, family room or garage to being all storage, before I'd pay some place else for storage. To me, that's financially insane. Especially long term.

Even if I were in the military overseas, I'd sell most things. And just buy new when I returned. And that would keep my personal possessions down to a manageable level, anyway.

My mom died two years ago, and I still have a lot of stuff. But I'm donating what I can. When I moved back home -- between MY stuff and HER stuff...this place literally did look like a storage unit.

My brother's storage unit has his stuff, AND his children's things. To be fair, he does sell things. So some of the stored stuff is his "inventory".....but a lot of it is HIS because when he moved in with his girlfriend she was living with her parents and the house was already chock full. 20 years later he still doesn't have his own closet And one of his kids moved back home, so her apartment furniture had to go somewhere. So.....storage. Just got the 2nd unit last month...total for the 2, must be at least $300 a month. The good news is, I guess, that what he sells can offset the cost of the storage. Maybe.

Then I had a coworker whose last in-law died. His wife wanted a couple of things, but their house was already full. And his adult kids (the grandkids) are already in apartments or their own house.....and they "didn't know what they wanted from the inherited items" so.....THAT stuff all went into storage. It's 2 years, at 2K a year. He's said the stuff IN THE UNIT, isn't worth the money he's spent on storage! I shook my head and shrugged my shoulders as in, "you're the one whose paying for it." But as that's a marital situation.....I didn't say much more.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:23 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
I'm invested in some storage units... never a customer.

It has proved lucrative indeed... high demand here and even if the renter defaults the open door auction always recovers delinquent rent with small crowd of regulars bidding...

Old 08-23-2017, 10:35 AM

1,573 posts, read 580,683 times
MEO -- Speaking of knife sets, I found a brand-new carving-knife set which I am guessing was a wedding present to my parents in 1951, still in the box! So I passed it on to my younger daughter and husband, and I hope they enjoy it. My own parents actually liked using an electric knife after they came out!

Old 08-23-2017, 10:46 AM

31,664 posts, read 19,968,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Got another text book sold. I also going to tackle the kid's box Disney videos next. A whole big box in my garage. I need to ask my kids if I can get rid of them.

I ripped and burned all DVDs to a good size external drive. Works well because I plug that in to my TV and play directly from the drive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-23-2017, 12:52 PM

13,228 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I ripped and burned all DVDs to a good size external drive. Works well because I plug that in to my TV and play directly from the drive.
That's is too high tech for me.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That's is too high tech for me.

It's pretty easy, but people learn what has value to them. That just means you really don't have a motivation to keep copies, which is great.... less stuff.

(As I sit here backing up electronic books, music, photos and videos because I do NOT get rid of this stuff.....)

Old 08-24-2017, 04:01 PM

2,611 posts, read 1,362,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's pretty easy, but people learn what has value to them. That just means you really don't have a motivation to keep copies, which is great.... less stuff.

(As I sit here backing up electronic books, music, photos and videos because I do NOT get rid of this stuff.....)
This interests me. What kind and size external drive would you recommend? I'm not a tech know-nothing, but I'm a tech don't-know-much.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
This interests me. What kind and size external drive would you recommend? I'm not a tech know-nothing, but I'm a tech don't-know-much.
Depends on what you have....

I have thousands of pics (my hobby is photography), and most are in raw format so they take up a huge amount of space, I have 1000s of ebooks, lots of movies, videos...

I HAVE been weeding through them.

I have a 5 TB backup drive, which is great, but my computer ran out of memory.... so I also moved some original pics, graphics stuff and videos to the backup.... so yesterday I made a back up of the orginals on the back up drive............

My movies are on a dedicated drive (1TB?), so then I have to make a back up of those....

I probably have 10 TB of external drives.... Would be easier if I saved everything to a cloud somewhere.... but I don't want to pay.

Plus being on external drives lets me move stuff from computer to computer......

Bottom line? External storage is cheap, so make use of it!! I think I got the 5TB for $100 at Costco and the costs are always coming down. The software to rip the CDs to electronic was about $55 AND that gives access to 5 other audio and video software (editing, converting, etc.).

Old 08-24-2017, 04:15 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
As big as you can. In fact get multiple ones. 2tb or bigger. I personally have four 2tb drives 2 of them house my collection of audio books, and kindle/ebooks. The other two are personal information and photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or