U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,301,716 times

Advertisements

Had a neighbor clean out two kitchen cupboards and take MOST everything to a homeless shelter she works with. I've wanted to do this for a long time finally as she was offering to help me and for her work today I gave her $15. She and her husband drove 2 boxes to the shelter. She's out of work now and doing odd jobs. Good feeling to get rid of the stuff I haven't used in some yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 04:46 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,710,800 times
Giving stuff away is a good way to down size.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:49 PM

31,717 posts, read 20,009,652 times
I know we are moving in about 3 years, so I always have a box going of stuff to donate. It feels good to keep the closets and stuff clean and organized.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-11-2017, 05:11 PM

What I kept was a pyrex meatloaf pan thinking I may put another meatloaf together one of these days.

I kept two dinner plates from my marriage franciscan ware. Brought back memories.

But let a lot go.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:15 PM

2,386 posts, read 7,769,734 times
I have between now and end of October to thin out my belongings in a 1 BR apartment before retirement and moving out of this way over-priced place (over $2K per month!). I work on just one closet at a time and box up things that are keepers and set aside the other things that are donations / giveaways.

I am most likely going to move the stuff that I keep into a storage place until I find a new place to live on a permanent basis. I have plans for a few long trips so I'll be without permanent living place for 3 or 4 months. I am setting up a virtual mailing address for banking, insurance and ID purposes so that will not be a problem.

By taking my time and focusing on just one closet or one room at a time instead of working on the whole apartment, it is easier to make progress towards downsizing.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:13 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,881,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What I kept was a pyrex meatloaf pan thinking I may put another meatloaf together one of these days.

I kept two dinner plates from my marriage franciscan ware. Brought back memories.

But let a lot go.
Franciscan Ware---were they Desert Rose? I have a set I inherited from my mother. I can't bear to part with them....at least, not just yet.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:15 PM

1,064 posts, read 491,812 times
Nothing makes me feel better than getting rid of stuff.

But even just reading about other people getting rid of stuff is great. You all made my evening.

:-)

Old 08-11-2017, 07:19 PM

13,265 posts, read 6,356,923 times
I've been try to get rid of stuff in my house. I've made progress so far. I listed my kid's textbooks on Amazon and I sold 3. They were not cheap, typical Computer science textbooks, but I priced them lower to sell them quickly. I sold two almost two brand new books for $65 each. I will do more to downsize.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Franciscan Ware---were they Desert Rose? I have a set I inherited from my mother. I can't bear to part with them....at least, not just yet.
No not Desert Rose but I know that was a very popular pattern back then. They were beautiful and my pattern is what seemed good back then, it's still pretty and simple. But I know my daughter won't want what's left so out they go.

I just sent my friend an email thanking her again for her time and work. Made my day.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No not Desert Rose but I know that was a very popular pattern back then. They were beautiful and my pattern is what seemed good back then, it's still pretty and simple. But I know my daughter won't want what's left so out they go.

I just sent my friend an email thanking her again for her time and work. Made my day.
MaryleeII

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5270985...=sr_gallery_32

Heritage is the pattern I got back in early 60's. I have one plate left. Over the years many pieces were broken and lost in earthquakes. Back when I got married I was very Early American and now am not at all. But I am glad to have 1 plate left. Desert Rose goes back to 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or