U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:35 PM

10,346 posts, read 9,382,296 times

Advertisements

My feet have given me problems even when I was much younger and it's been difficult to find shoes that don't cause more discomfort. My heels are very narrow and only shoes that tie or the 'Mary Jane' style work so that the heel of the shoe doesn't slip while walking and cause blisters.

Also, now that I'm older the padding on the balls of my feet has diminished so that I require plenty of cushioning in that area.

Plantar fasciitis! Oh my! The only thing that keeps it at bay is ensuring my shoes offer adequate arch support, not going barefoot; and when my heel(s) begin to ache out comes the rolling pin so I can roll the arch of my foot back and forth on the pin to break up the scar tissue in the plantar region . . and that helps a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 01:36 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
At 68, my feet are still pain-free which I attribute to years of avoiding fashionable shoes.

I haven't worn shoes in my home for decades. In warm weather, I also go barefoot in my yard.
When I leave home, I wear Keen hiking sandals year round (with socks in cold weather).

I have a collection of ballet-type wide-toe flats in a rainbow of colors that I wear with inserts for dress occasions.

fwiw, I've been on pravastatin for 10+ years with no ill effects..

Old 08-12-2017, 01:49 PM

7,132 posts, read 2,931,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Easy! Just wear Crocs with socks. It may look uncool but comfort beats style any time for me. I wear smart wool or merino wool socks year around (light weight thin ones for summer, medium weight for spring/fall and heavy weight for winter). I only wear Crocs around the house or in my yard so I think I can get away with wearing socks.
Yep, Crocs with socks works. Giving them a dunk in the sink too. Just in case you hadn't found it, if you go to Crocs' official website they offer some other shoes that still have the benefits of the clogs. Search for Crocs Work. You don't always see those options if you shop on the other websites or in retail stores. Many are also slip resistant which is fantastic. I inherited my mom's malformed feet so have to deal with all sorts of tendinitis, bone spur, arthritis issues now. I wear Crocs pretty much all the time except in winter. Crocs on ice do NOT work!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:07 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,979 times
I have the perfect storm... hammer toes and flat feet. Surprisingly, my feet don't hurt very much. Fingers crossed.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:19 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,549,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My podiatrist said my foot pain is caused by arthritis, plantar facitis, bursitis, and tendonitis. Woohoo, a quadfecta of itises.

He suggested wearing rubber clogs with good (not drugstore) arch supports. Surprisingly effective, I rarely hobble around in pain any more.

Shoes with a 1" or higher heel and very soft, cushy soles are also helpful.
My feed don't like tight shoes and must have good toe room. My arch will sort of 'snap' and have to be massaged loose if shoes are too tight. Unless I can't wear them, I've gotten used to Bearpaw boots with a nice soft lining. They are cut wider so it doesn't crowd the toes. I wear them in winter for warmth and when they stretch out add a pair of chushy socks, and use them for yard boots.

I put soft pads in other shoes and the ones that are tight around your toes I just avoid. And I never wear true heels. I was in really fancy dress at one convention where I was working the dinner, and loved the dress but barely managed the shoes. The minute I could, off they came and they had a sixties retro band and I had a ball but it had already worn the shoes for the last time.

I say comfort over fashion anytime. Rubber clogs might be a good investment.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,443,375 times
Spent my life as a professional dance, 45+ yrs of ballet classes, danced in 5 - 9" heels for 10 yrs (age 47-57) as a stripper, and also always wore and still wear high heels. My feet are doing great despite 5 foot surgeries during my younger, ballet years.

Advice from foot doc: As we age, we lose the fatty layer on the bottoms of our feet, all those ligaments and tendons between those bones in our feet stretch. Thus, bigger feet. And... most of us have gained weight - thus, more stress on those feet. His advice: keep the weight off, at home, wear lace up, high quality orthopaedic-type shoes. No running around barefoot (like me) all the time !! Also, STRETCH those Achilles tendons daily and walk THRU your foot with each step - hell thru to the toes, straight and firm.

Those with medical issues - you have my sympathy.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:12 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times
I never wore heels even once in my life, and very very rarely any type of dress shoe. And I still have foot problems. (arthritis in feet)

One foot has a large protruding bone in a big knot on side/bottom of foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

I put soft pads in other shoes too.
What type of soft pads? Do you mean Dr Scholl's gel inserts or those soft inserts with tiny holes in them for sweaty feet but maybe to soften the feel of the feet too?

Last edited by matisse12; 08-12-2017 at 03:31 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 03:30 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,549,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I never wore heels even once in my life, and very very rarely any type of dress shoe. And I still have foot problems. (arthritis in feet)

One foot has a pretty large protruding bone in a big knot on side/bottom of foot.

What type of soft pads? Do you mean Dr Scholl's gel inserts or those soft inserts with tiny holes in them for sweaty feet but maybe to soften the feel of the feet too?
Yes, usually the ones with something plesh to put your foot on. I am not sure who makes them. There's a couple of places where it hurts to walk barefoot, so unless its on an even floor, I don't. For solid shoes or boots, when the lining gets flat, they make a soft arch support which covers heal to toe, and has a soft, wolly feeling surface. When boots lining gets flattened, I'll put these in the boots too. I haven't bought any recently but will be needing some for the still good to wear boots.

I find as my feet seem to have less 'padding' that my feet are far less tolerable of anything rough or hard.
And as my feet get less adaptable, I've found they don't do well getting cold. Something in the arch on one foot will lock, and has to be massaged loose. Thus, in the winter, I also use these little things which you shake and they get warm. Wear heavy socks, and place them where they are in the arch and they will keep your feet from getting cold. They're called 'Foot Warmers' and the last ones I got from Amazon. They make all the difference when its cold.

https://www.amazon.com/Heatmax-Insol...r=8-1&keywords

Old 08-12-2017, 03:40 PM

23,775 posts, read 8,268,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Spent my life as a professional dance, 45+ yrs of ballet classes, danced in 5 - 9" heels for 10 yrs (age 47-57) as a stripper, and also always wore and still wear high heels. My feet are doing great despite 5 foot surgeries during my younger, ballet years.

Advice from foot doc: As we age, we lose the fatty layer on the bottoms of our feet, all those ligaments and tendons between those bones in our feet stretch. Thus, bigger feet. And... most of us have gained weight - thus, more stress on those feet. His advice: keep the weight off, at home, wear lace up, high quality orthopaedic-type shoes. No running around barefoot (like me) all the time !! Also, STRETCH those Achilles tendons daily and walk THRU your foot with each step - hell thru to the toes, straight and firm.

Those with medical issues - you have my sympathy.
Oh those ballet feet have got to suffer. And 5 surgeries!!! No barefeet for me as I need good support to walk with stability. Having a hip replacement 7 yrs age really messed up my total body structure.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:41 PM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Those of you who wear Crocs, (and I have several pair), how do you deal with the sweaty, clammy feet caused by the plastic construction? Some of the Crocs I have are just yucky to wear, (even though they are comfortable).
I can't say I ever noticed that my feet were sweaty or clammy when I wore Crocs- whether it was the clogs, or the sandals, which I wear more frequently. I thought the little holes in the top of the clogs might be helpful to evaporate some of that sweatiness that might occur with the clogs. I've noticed that my feet do get sweaty ( and smelly) in the drug-store clogs but not the Crocs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or