U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 05:40 PM

23,920 posts, read 8,346,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Metformin does not cause neuropathy, that is a symptom of diabetes. That's why it is called DIABETIC neuropathy.

You can fool around with herbal supplements if you want but the effects of Berberine are about half (or significantly less) the effect you can expect from Metformin. On Metformin my A1c has dropped 4.5 percentage points; Berberine will drop your A1c less than one percentage point on its own.

Also Berberine is a "dietary supplement", not a "medication", and as such is unregulated by the FDA. This means that there is no guarantee of purity or even that a supplement labeled "Berberine" has any actual Berberine in it at all. Dosage and metabolization of the concoction is also variable. We also have no idea of the effect of long-term use of berberine.

Please don't fool around with your diabetes medication on your own. If you really want to do something to improve your Type 2 diabetes, lose weight (I KNOW how hard that can be, I guarantee you that anyone out there is unlikely to have a harder time of that than I do, due to an ACTUAL metabolic disorder) and get out and move around as much as possible. I know how hard THAT can be as well, especially after you've already put on the weight.

Nevertheless - those 2 things will do more to reduce your dependence on something like metformin than any amount of fooling around with "herbal supplements". Why trade one artificial dependency (metformin) for another (berberine)?
I don't have diabetes but I've read from others who do well on Berberine, some on C-D health area. Just an FYI.

And to those who talk so great about Crocs, I could never understand that one...these are plastic and maybe rubber. And hardly any support, if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 05:42 PM

23,920 posts, read 8,346,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Mycocide callus exfolliator foot cream. Solved my old-lady feet problems. I also have an Amope Pedi-Perfect that I use - but the Mycocide is pretty miraculous all on its own.
Without my looking it up is the Mycocide ,,,,,,, a drug.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:48 PM

1,927 posts, read 996,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Without my looking it up is the Mycocide ,,,,,,, a drug.
I think its an antifungal. "cide" is usually a clue

I scrub my feet with a brush (they usually need it) and then use a good thick foot cream like O'Keefe's..... or whatever is on sale. You have to keep it up. If you can sleep in socks, do it before bed. Diabetic socks are good for this because they don't bind.

Be careful getting up in the night!

Once they are healed, get yourself some sheepskin slippers

Old 08-12-2017, 05:58 PM

31,183 posts, read 13,676,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i get the weirdest cramps in my toes and foot . both feet , the toes go in opposite directions and cramp or sometimes i get them right in the arch of the foot .
wow does that hurt
It isn't necessarily plantar fascitis, I get the same thing from a lumbar disc neuropathy.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:04 PM

11,953 posts, read 20,430,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Can't help but asking, how do you avoid heal fissures from dry feet? I love going barefoot, and since I'm in Florida, going sock-less, but that seems to lead to dry feet and cracking. I'm now trying the pumice and foot lotion thing. It seems to be a losing effort. And I'm only 60.....
I use Curel foot lotion. It's got shea butter and doesn't have a big odor. Everyday in the shower, plug your tub to soak your feet. Then pumice lightly, and lotion up. At night, lotion up a lot, and put on socks for bed. If you can find them, use heated pedicure booties. Lotion up, put plastic liners on those feet and slip into the heated booties and bake for a half hour or so. Use the lowest heat...and if you have diabetes or neuropathy ask your doctor first...

It won't be today, but daily light pumicing and cream on your feet twice a day will heal those fissures. Essentially you have very hard skin and calluses...

Avoid those ped eggs or Amope files...especially if you're diabetic. Way to easy to go too far with them trying for immediate results. Your feet didn't get that in one day...don't expect it to work in one day.

I have diabetes, and since I started wearing Vionics my two calluses are GONE. I used a ped egg with my doctors approval for gently filing down the two calluses I had...one on the ball of my foot, and one one the side of the big toe. I used it weekly, and did five or six light swipes on my calluses. I just realized a few weeks ago, I hadn't used it in months.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 PM

3,861 posts, read 1,997,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Thank y'all for this thread. My foot/feet started hurting about two months ago, but I didn't know what was the cause. Got some Epsom salts, but haven't tried yet. Like most aches and pains, I though it would just 'go away' with time, as these things usually do with me.

Because of this thread, I now understand that it might be something completely new to me. I am 66 this week and Type-2, and attempt to control it with medication and exercise. But I have to admit that I cheat too often.

I usually only notice any foot pain after I lay down for the night. Several times, to the point where I'll uncover my feet from under the blanket because it is so uncomfortable. Once I'm asleep, no problems.

My first Medicare physician appointment is at the end of September. Had a devil of a time finding a doctor who accepts new Medicare patients, but this one does, and only diabetic patients. I will be sure to discuss the foot pain with him. So far, it isn't too bad. Just a minor annoyance, just like the tinnitus.

Thanks again. What a great forum this is.

I'm type 2. I can't stand the weight of blankets and sheets on my feet at night. I use a support frame that slips under the mattress. The blankets go over the frame to create an open cave for my feet. It's heavenly. If you haven't tried one, you should. A good one will cost about $50 or more though. Make sure it's rugged enough to withstand the weight of the blankets. Many frames are flimsy garbage.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 PM

174 posts, read 109,000 times
My mother is almost 87 and has neuropathy (not a diabetic) and arthritis in her feet and arthritis in her knees and back. Along with hammer toes too. It is hell for her to get around and she hardly complains. She just stopped driving, but she does take her little dog out for a short little walk. She recently got a cortisone shot, but I think that was more for her knees and it did help some. Have tried numerous shoes and medicines and only minimal relief. I feel for anyone who has to deal with foot pain. Her big fear is just not being able to walk at all and become wheelchair bound. She probably isn't too far away from that now.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:07 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,086,306 times
It's amusing that every post in this thread contradicts every preceding post.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:20 AM

4,350 posts, read 6,070,687 times
Age 67, arthritis in my toes, plantar fasciitis, and I still walk every day shooting for 10,000 steps. I'm always in search for a better shoe. Skechers Memory Foam only stays cushy the first few times I wear them. New Balance has let me down. I'm thinking of splurging, going to one of those running stores where they fit your foot to the proper shoe. Right now I've got two bandaged blisters from a new pair of Skechers.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:55 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,845,728 times
After reading this thread, I feel grateful that I (currently) have no foot issues.

I started wearing high heels when I was 14. Not every day but when getting "dressed up". I continued to wear them through the platform, pointy toe, skinny heel phases of fashion. When I was working in an office, I wore them to work every day, all day, and did so until I was in my 40s.

After that, I only wore them intermittently, and usually a slightly lower heel.

I'm 81 and now I usually wear Crocs for comfort or sneakers for support. I do have a pair of flats (pointed toe) that I wear on occasion.

I don't have diabetes. Neither do I have bunions, hammer toes, disfigured feet, achy feet, tired feet. MOF, my feet are probably the healthiest part of me! lol

I do feel very sorry for all of you who are suffering with foot issues and am unable to imagine how I would handle the ongoing pain. (I did have a bout of plantar fasciitis a few years ago but it resolved and it hasn't recurred.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or