U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:25 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,448,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Can't help but asking, how do you avoid heal fissures from dry feet? I love going barefoot, and since I'm in Florida, going sock-less, but that seems to lead to dry feet and cracking. I'm now trying the pumice and foot lotion thing. It seems to be a losing effort. And I'm only 60.....

See a dermatologist and get a prescription for 40 or even 50% urea lotion. Rub it in your feet at night and put some plastic bags on your feet, then tight socks. It works! I have that problem - doc says it's some sort of genetic thing. I build some wicked calluses on my heels. You can also buy one of those callus scrapers with a small razor blade in it, but be really careful using one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 05:35 PM

37,169 posts, read 45,724,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
My feet are killing me!!!!!!!!! 70 years old and I just dread walking. I think it is a combination of diabetic neuropathy and osteoarthritis. I am getting with my doctor asap to see what she can do. Anyone else with similar condition?
Today, I was reminded about my shortcomings. I volunteer with the Lions Club at local schools doing vision screenings. I stood on my feet for 3 1/2 hours and I was in agony. My feet, knees and back hurt. I was able to sit occasionally, but I was very uncomfortable.

I signed up for two days next week, but I begged off of day two, because of my experience today. Too bad, because the actual job, vision screening grade school kids, is fun and satisfying.

I am 69, and it keep careful track of my health. If something is wrong, I fix it. I take a bunch of meds to combat my arthritis and my mindset is fake it til you make it. Getting old sucks, but I'm grateful that it's not worse.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:16 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,120,086 times
My bunions used to hurt when I was in my 50s, but they don't bother me anymore. They sure aren't pretty, but I wear shoes that hide them.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 PM

32,060 posts, read 36,706,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
First thing I did when I had trouble with my legs.
I first read a thread here on CD maybe 3-4 years ago about Statin Drugs and feet problems. It was surprising how many people reported a problem. My feet still are not 100% but much better after I changed drugs.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 AM

2,253 posts, read 1,474,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I first read a thread here on CD maybe 3-4 years ago about Statin Drugs and feet problems. It was surprising how many people reported a problem. My feet still are not 100% but much better after I changed drugs.
Holy cow! I'm dropping my Lipitor cold turkey.

Screw statins, they are garbage!

I had nothing but muscle pain, and such with Simvastatin, so doc switched me to Atorvastatin. Since then I'm now almost to the point where I can't walk anymore, headaches, skin is peeling on my hands, just horrible, worse side effects than Simvastatin. It's got to be side effects from this drug.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:45 AM

8,835 posts, read 7,732,605 times
At 63, last year, I started to get stabbing pains in my feet and legs. I have since been taking Vit. B-12 sublingual. My pains have decreased tremendously. Try it.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:25 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,790,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
At 63, last year, I started to get stabbing pains in my feet and legs. I have since been taking Vit. B-12 sublingual. My pains have decreased tremendously. Try it.
But what has caused your feet and leg pain? My mom has diabetic neuropathy like the OP. She's been on so many meds to try to manage the pain.....none have worked. I'd share this with here if I knew you had the same issue.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:22 PM

2,253 posts, read 1,474,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Where are you buying it from? What brand and such is it?

Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,140,800 times
I had my appointment with my doctor and after a day or two she called with the results of the x-ray. No break or spurs, some little os something or other along the tendon, but the she asked me a lot of questions and examined my foot and she thinks I have plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis. I think she might be right. I think I was too fixated on the diabetic neuropathy and blaming that for all my weird and painful symptoms. I am now doing some stretches, icing and whatever else I can figure out, until I receive further direction she has mailed to me. Any good ideas are more than welcome!!

Old 08-22-2017, 10:41 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,212,491 times
My wife inserts a pair of these in every shoe she has:
Barefoot Science | Our insoles help eliminate foot, back and body pain

You can buy them on Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or