U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 PM

195 posts, read 106,870 times

Advertisements

My parents moved to FL about 30 years ago. I've been coming down to visit them for decades. I always promised myself that I would never wind up down here. Too flat, not enough deciduous trees, no seasons, etc. Wouldn't you know that i would marry a man who never asks for anything for himself, except that he would like to retire to FL!!!

After he was diagnosed with Parkinson's and dementia it became apparent that our big multi-story house on top of a hill was not the place to be, so we came down to Florida and bought a real fixer-upper because I like renovating houses. The plan was to spend some time down working on the house and the rest of the time up in GA until the house sold. I figured it could take a year the way the market was a few years ago. Well, it sold the first day. So, high-tailed it back to GA, packed up what we wanted to take and, luckily, the family buying it was moving from a house half the size so they were happy to have all the furniture we left behind. The first 6 months in FL was more like camping out than vacationing but I enjoyed it and now it suits me to a tee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 PM

Last year I bought a house down the street from me that needed a ton of work. The roof leaked so much that the ceilings were sitting on the floor. I renovated it by working on it 7 days a week while my husband took naps. I am his 24/7 caregiver and I can't leave him by himself for any length of time while he is awake, but he naps for a few hours each day so I would go down and do bite-sized chunks of work, like installing flooring in half of a room. It took a while, but it turned out great. I used it to lure my sister and brother-in-law to Florida. He was already retired but she is only 54 so she was still working. She quit her job and they moved here.
It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped and the moral of the story is... don't buy a retirement house for someone else.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:59 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,741,918 times
We moved from New England to NC almost 10 years ago. Four years ago, we downsized and bought a home in a Del Webb >55 community thinking this is what we wanted in retirement. While we've enjoyed the community and made wonderful friends, we don't love it and really miss being near the beach (we are still working but plan to retire within the next 2 years). We started looking on the NC coast and last month purchased a home in a small town, a couple of miles from the beach.

We will go down a couple of weekends a month until we move permanently spring/summer 2019. The new home is only 2 years old so there's not much that needs to be done except painting the interior. We both feel we made the right decision and can't wait to move.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:47 AM

1,137 posts, read 572,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
Last year I bought a house down the street from me that needed a ton of work. The roof leaked so much that the ceilings were sitting on the floor. I renovated it by working on it 7 days a week while my husband took naps. I am his 24/7 caregiver and I can't leave him by himself for any length of time while he is awake, but he naps for a few hours each day so I would go down and do bite-sized chunks of work, like installing flooring in half of a room. It took a while, but it turned out great. I used it to lure my sister and brother-in-law to Florida. He was already retired but she is only 54 so she was still working. She quit her job and they moved here.
It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped and the moral of the story is... don't buy a retirement house for someone else.
Not to go too far off topic, but are you having to evacuate? Is your house safe from Irma?
Fingers crossed for you guys...hope it leaves you OK.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:01 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,741,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Not to go too far off topic, but are you having to evacuate? Is your house safe from Irma?
I'm thinking your post was meant for me....(we just bought our retirement house near the beach).
Yes, we are very concerned about Irma. Our new home is not in a flood plain and it would take a 20 ft storm surge at high tide for water to reach our house. Hubby did a lot of research. The house is 2 miles from the riverfront and 5 miles from the ocean. One never knows what will happen and we continue to watch closely. We do have extra wind/hail insurance but not flood.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Thanks. We are about 6 or 7 miles from the ocean and right in the projected path but we won't be evacuating because my husband has Parkinson's and dementia and my mom has rheumatoid arthritis and a host of other maladies and my dog likes sleeping in her own bed. So,as you can see, this is not a group I could easily take on the road. We are battening down the hatches and keeping our fingers crossed.

I really hope we don't get flooded like Texas. I have a large pond in my backyard and it has a few alligators in it. They usually keep to themselves but I would hate to wake up one day and find one floating around in my kitchen!

Old 09-08-2017, 02:21 PM

13,349 posts, read 25,612,945 times
After months of the permit process and a $17k overrun on the kit house I bought, my builder sent me a picture last week of the ground breaking for my retirement house in Ridgway, CO. I will be retiring on Jan. 27 if the Benefits office ever calls me back to put in papers. My house should be finished by December (it's only 800 sq.ft.) but I'm not moving until end of April, so I don't care how long it takes. I'm working like cracy in my rather poor adjustment to the idea of being on a fixed income and not working for the first time since 1969.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:21 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,621,698 times
I lived in south fl and bought a vacay home in 2005 in the Blue Ridge mountains...my DREAM home...an 1886 farmhouse. I didn't realize how much I would LOVE living in the mountains in a small rural town in the country. I eventually sold the fl house and I never looked back. This really is my forever home so...YES...it worked out perfectly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement