U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:51 PM

13,903 posts, read 7,400,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Money is only part of the picture. One needs to figure out what you are going to do with yourself with all that free time.
For me, that's not an issue. The issue is the leisure things I like to do and have done my entire life cost money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 12:52 PM

15,230 posts, read 8,523,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatsLaMoore View Post
Totally agree - that is why we (my wife and I) are starting to work on designing the retirement lifestyle plan.

We're looking at what type of jobs we could do/want to do, how many hours, for what periods etc to keep the income up but enjoy how we do it.

Also looking at travel, where we want to go - holidays, temporarily living someplace else, short breaks etc

I guess we are mainly looking at the first 10-15 years post day job - retirement homes and care provision is not on my horizon yet, maybe it should be, maybe not.

Yes - I'm trying to figure out a travel budget based on annual number of "big trips" (longer than 10 days, possibly abroad) vs. number of domestic travel trips between 7-10 days vs. short trips of under 5 days. So maybe one big trip a year, 2 longish domestic trips, and 4 short trips a year. Based on recent trips in those categories estimating a budget of airfare/hotel/food etc. to see how reasonable that might be while considering that level of activity could very well slow down after 5 - 10 years.

In between that I'm trying to think of all the activities I enjoy doing - some seasonal, most not; holiday plans, etc. Between travel, hobbies, and home improvement, and social stuff it seems like a fair amount to "keep busy" with!

Old 08-16-2017, 01:05 PM

14 posts, read 8,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Already there, been retired 10 years.

4 top challenges.
1. Tracked our monthly and annual expenses and income on a spreadsheet for a couple of years prior to retirement, and reduced my take home pay to what it would be in retirement and put the rest in my 401K. .
Now that sounds like a good idea - more of the testing theory but increasing the investment/pension fund at the same time - smart move!

Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 PM

14 posts, read 8,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

In between that I'm trying to think of all the activities I enjoy doing - some seasonal, most not; holiday plans, etc. Between travel, hobbies, and home improvement, and social stuff it seems like a fair amount to "keep busy" with!
Are you thinking of these as pure enjoyment hobbies, or something you could possibly use as an income stream?

Old 08-16-2017, 03:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
Quote:
I am 56 yo and the concept of retirement is coming into focus. I would be really interested to know from those either in the same situation or already there:

1. What are your top 3 objectives in retirement?
2. What are your top 3 challenges in achieving those objectives?
3. What are you doing about the challenges?

Any input gratefully received!
I'm you're age.Early retiree (been retired nearly 8 yrs now).

1. Maintain fiscal and physical health, see as much of my country as possible.
2. Challenges: fiscally $$ -Spending too much for experiences (traveling, RVing takes money). I feel with the current financial markets, I'm okay w/ finances. Just got to make sure I'm good for the long run (if I live to 90 yrs+). Family (older parents) responsibilities - I want to be there for them as they age as well, physical ailments slow me down occasionally (physical health).
3. Taper travel to finances available, taper physical fitness to injuries or lack of (mountain bike, run, kayak) then do something each and every day, health permitting, spend time w/ parents weekly and when time permits.

for those in similar situation who enjoy RVing (I have a very small, affordable travel trailer/tow vehicle) - there are plenty of opportunities for "camp host" jobs at RV and State Parks - free stays in exchange for doing easy, low-stress work at the camp as hosts. Just one way I've seen where people accomplish the travel goal while spending less and also keeping a social contact with others that becomes lacking w/ retirement sometimes.

Last edited by BucFan; 08-16-2017 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 03:26 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,604,318 times
Two Words: FINANCIAL SURVIVAL!

Old 08-16-2017, 04:21 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
I am 56 yo and the concept of retirement is coming into focus. I would be really interested to know from those either in the same situation or already there:

1. What are your top 3 objectives in retirement?
2. What are your top 3 challenges in achieving those objectives?
3. What are you doing about the challenges?

Any input gratefully received!

Gosh, such a formal, complicated way to go about thinking about retirement! For me personally it was a lot easier and simpler. I just knew I didn't want the continuing responsibility and stress of full-time work. So I worked until my pension was adequate and retired. I always had lots of interests, so I knew there would always be interesting things to do, and that's exactly the way it worked out.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:02 PM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Thought provoking thread, yes. But I also had a very simple goal, not too complicated either. Didn't want to commute any more either.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:00 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
I'll be retiring in January, four months before my 65th birthday. When I first conceived of retirement, it came along with a pension statement from a job that I kept leaving and returning to, so I decided to stay at that job and go for the pension.

Later on, I started thinking about how I'd spend time in retirement. I thought "I ought to travel" but felt sort of a draggy feeling about it, like I was supposed to want to do it more than wanting to do it. Frankly, if I wanted to travel, during my work life is when I should do it- I get five weeks off a year (only two in the summer) and make good money. But after one big trip to Nepal to trek, I realized that I didn't really feel like travel (although acknowledged that my stressful night shift job was affecting my health and energy- hard to know what I'd feel like doing with some serious resting up first.

I had been vacationing in southwest Colorado for many years and thought of moving there during my work life and couldn't see how I could make that work. When I realized that I couldn't see a satisfying horseback riding life on the crowded annoying East Coast, I started thinking about living in Colorado in retirement. I started researching boarding stables/riding opportunities/volunteer with horses things and found a lot. Also realized that horses are not exactly a plan for frail old age and had better get out there sooner not later.

If I worked another year or two, I'd be golden financially. I just don't feel like it. I want to get out of the ever-increasing stress at my job, get off night shifts, and get going on my Colorado life. I expect to do some exercise every day- I used to, until nights got to me. There's swimming at the hot springs or the rec center and Nautilus, and I'd like to do some minor kayaking at the state park five miles from my new house. I want a vigorous life after the stress of night psychiatric work and I want it sooner and not later, hence retirement on Jan. 27.

I have also looked into other volunteer things to meet people and I really want to feel part of the community. The local theater needs bartender volunteers (beer and wine, I can do that!), therapeutic riding program/horse leader (I am not an instructor but have trained locally to handle the horse part), attend the lectures and films at the local former opera houses to bring culture to the masses in the old days! I find my chosen town to be remarkably friendly and look forward to meeting people, plus the average age is somewhat older. The community is aimed at sustainability and community focus and that will be a great thing to be even a small part of for me. My East Coast life has become increasingly unfriendly due to my awful hours and the traffic and ever-increasing cost of simply living here- people are pressured, closed off, working all the time, stuck in traffic, just under pressure.

Oh and dog rescue, as ever. I will continue to adopt senior dogs and might be able to help out some with local transport, so I'll get to drive around beautiful Colorado in my new-to-be Subaru.

Too bad I don't ski or smoke weed and barely drink but there are lots of other things.

I guess this is a lot more than three goals or challenges. Come to think of it, in my annual reviews at work, I always make up some workspeak nonsense for my goals. This year, it'll be to make it to January, and done.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:01 PM

2,775 posts, read 993,967 times
1. Have time for fun, exercise and stay healthier
2. No time clocks. Do what I want, when I want, as long as I want
3. Volunteer or charity work that I would enjoy and be an asset
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or