U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:20 PM

18,613 posts, read 9,618,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatsLaMoore View Post
I am 56 yo and the concept of retirement is coming into focus. I would be really interested to know from those either in the same situation or already there:

1. What are your top 3 objectives in retirement?
2. What are your top 3 challenges in achieving those objectives?
3. What are you doing about the challenges?

Any input gratefully received!
1. Take care of health and fitness, spend time with friends and family, have fun
2. I already have some health issues so that's a challenge to minimize and overcome,
3. Really working to eat well and exercise regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:00 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,529,751 times
Getting ready to retire in 6 weeks and my list of goals is similar to most of the other responses:

1) Lose weight and get physically fit.

2) De-clutter my home and get it fixed up to sell so that I can downsize and possibly relocate to another state.

3) Make trips around the Southwest in the next year or so to visit national parks and resort/scenic towns before leaving the area permanently.

Challenges are:
1) Exercising seems to be tricky. I overdid it a couple of years ago which led to bursitis in the hip and resulted in the need for lots of physical therapy and strengthening exercises. I need to proceed carefully and include aerobic, strengthening, and stretching exercises and all of that can be time consuming.

2) Unknown home repair costs. I've had several unexpected repairs on my 60 year old home in the last few years. I have a good wad of cash saved to fund this effort but am concerned it could take more. A couple of months ago, I got a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) loan because it is recommended for those about to retire to cover unexpected costs and to manage cash flow. Now I am glad I have it (e.g., I have since learned that I may not be able to withdraw funds from my 401k for up to 4 months after retirement so the HELOC could come in handy).

3) The challenge is that I need to get in shape so that I can fully enjoy my trips and do the necessary walking and take short hikes. I don't want this to strictly be a windshield tour. I also plan to purchase an AWD vehicle with good ground clearance so I can go over rough roads.

These are mostly short term goals. Longer term goals are to relocate closer to family and to develop more of a social circle and activities so that I don't become isolated in retirement. I'm single and an introvert.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 08-16-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 08:53 PM
JRR

3,685 posts, read 2,231,690 times
My only goal is to enjoy each day as much as I can. Tomorrow is a walk in the morning, grocery shopping in the afternoon, a bluegrass concert in the park in the evening topped off by an ice cream cone at Cream City. At the end of the day I just plan on being happy and if so, I have met my goal.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:29 AM

4,856 posts, read 4,969,586 times
My simple current goals:

1. Take a brisk walk each morning. Enjoy the view and smell the flowers.

2. Throw away something every day. After a few years, we'll have de-crapified the house.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:56 AM

2,884 posts, read 1,409,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My simple current goals:

1. Take a brisk walk each morning. Enjoy the view and smell the flowers.

2. Throw away something every day. After a few years, we'll have de-crapified the house.
OMG I need to make this my goal. I've got crap from freakin 35 years ago. INSANE

Old 08-17-2017, 07:58 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,936,473 times
This is a great and very helpful discussion. I am 59 and looking at either retiring at 62 or 65. My finance person says 62 is doable, but now I'm wondering if I will miss my daily routine and interaction with people. Don't want to sit in the house all the time. There are a few organizations I volunteer with, and I could ramp that up.

I like the idea of living on a pared down budget to see what it's like.

Overall, the house will be paid off in 8 months and we'll be totally debt-free. But I do have two major capital projects (driveway and bathroom remodel) that I want to have done before retirement. And I have LTC insurance and a couple years' worth of savings stashed away, in addition to investment accounts.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:33 AM

14 posts, read 8,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My simple current goals:

Now that is a good idea - I think we need some de-crapifying too!

Old 08-19-2017, 03:20 PM

1,527 posts, read 635,798 times
I am happy to just wake up every day. If I do that, I feel I have accomplished something. If I get anything else done, it's icing on the cake.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:25 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,541,734 times
Just to get the Wife a place by the Ocean, a few nights out is fine....we've always lived a simple life. Her goal has become mine....I will get us there, so help me God

Old 08-19-2017, 05:14 PM

982 posts, read 607,771 times
My goals for retirement are to have no goals. After spending what will be nearly 50 years of accomplishing academic, employment, economic, etc. goals, the only goals I will be interested in retirement are those that happen on hockey rinks and football fields. Go Patriots Go Bruins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or