Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:40 AM

14 posts, read 10,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Money is only part of the picture. One needs to figure out what you are going to do with yourself with all that free time.

Totally agree - that is why we (my wife and I) are starting to work on designing the retirement lifestyle plan.

We're looking at what type of jobs we could do/want to do, how many hours, for what periods etc to keep the income up but enjoy how we do it.

Also looking at travel, where we want to go - holidays, temporarily living someplace else, short breaks etc

I guess we are mainly looking at the first 10-15 years post day job - retirement homes and care provision is not on my horizon yet, maybe it should be, maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Look at a ROTH as part of your retirement investing. I think a lot of people miss this.
What is ROTH? (I am a bit lacking in my financial education, trying to rectify that!)

Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 AM

I like the concept of testing out the goals by living on the money you expected to have in retirement - that seems like a very smart thing to do!

Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
I have been retired for a year.

If you asked me when I was 50 what my retirement goals were, they would have been TOTALLY different than what they are today.

In the last four years, I rediscovered an artistic pursuit that I'd enjoyed in my 20s and started really delving into it. Since then, I've had my work in art galleries and won awards for it. Now, I wake up every morning thrilled that I get to do this each day. I'm having a ton of fun.

None of that was even on my radar ten years ago.

This has reminded me that I'm not some fixed in stone person. Five or ten years from now, I may very well have reinvented myself again and be doing something completely unexpected. Or, life could very well take an unexpected turn that I can't predict today.

And, so, if I had to give one "goal" for retirement, that's it:

Go with the flow, enjoy today, and welcome the unexpected, where ever that may lead.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

In the last four years, I rediscovered an artistic pursuit that I'd enjoyed in my 20s and started really delving into it. Since then, I've had my work in art galleries and won awards for it. Now, I wake up every morning thrilled that I get to do this each day. I'm having a ton of fun!
That is interesting - how did you rediscover the artistic pursuit?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatsLaMoore View Post
I like the concept of testing out the goals by living on the money you expected to have in retirement - that seems like a very smart thing to do!
Ha! We kinda do that, every time we go out in the boat, or (very rarely) have nothing to do but cruise around in the convertible, we say we're "practicing being retired".

Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hey OP
I definitely have goals. lol, I'm a "list maker" from way back.

1) research a beach community to be a snow bird in./beach house
2) spend considerable time in france.
3) find a charity to support or get more active in my church

first, I do try to remember that objectives change. my number 2 and 3 have changed over time. My number one has been pretty consistent. Now I had to make it a goal if I plan on purchasing a beach house. I don't have the funds to just pop down to florida and buy real estate.

I'm planning on retiring in 2 years at 58. I'm now researching various locations and starting January I plan on visiting the top three.

Do you think you will need to work at all to supplement your retirement income? If so, what are you considering?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatsLaMoore View Post
That is interesting - how did you rediscover the artistic pursuit?
I was stressed out with my job and my daughter bought me a sketchbook because she thought drawing might help me relax.

One thing led to another.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:12 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times
My goals: first, take a nice long vacation to "get away from it all". Second: downsize all the then-unnecessary tools and vehicles and office paraphernalia. Third: take little side trips when we can and feel like it.

Gonna be nice not to be so tied down. I. Can't. Wait.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:18 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

If you asked me when I was 50 what my retirement goals were, they would have been TOTALLY different than what they are today.

In the last four years, I rediscovered an artistic pursuit that I'd enjoyed in my 20s and started really delving into it. Since then, I've had my work in art galleries and won awards for it. Now, I wake up every morning thrilled that I get to do this each day. I'm having a ton of fun.

None of that was even on my radar ten years ago.

This has reminded me that I'm not some fixed in stone person. Five or ten years from now, I may very well have reinvented myself again and be doing something completely unexpected. Or, life could very well take an unexpected turn that I can't predict today.

And, so, if I had to give one "goal" for retirement, that's it:

Go with the flow, enjoy today, and welcome the unexpected, where ever that may lead.
I'm enjoying my oil painting class. I have exactly 3 paintings at home that I like looking at them. It also adds to my perspective when I travel. I now can appreciate the old masters. Plan to visit to more museums next year when I go to Europe again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement