U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I can't imagine why someone would want to retire in Atlanta. The traffic is an utter nightmare. The city is nothing special like NYC. You don't have the weather advantages of FL or the scenery of CO.
Perhaps when they say Atlanta, they mean suburbs where you deal less with the issues facing the inner city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 AM

2,875 posts, read 1,403,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I can't imagine why someone would want to retire in Atlanta. The traffic is an utter nightmare. The city is nothing special like NYC. You don't have the weather advantages of FL or the scenery of CO.
I actually have a friend from NYC that retired to Atlanta. I asked him this summer why he picked Atlanta.

1) good mix of young and old. He didn't want to be in Florida with the median age of 90. (his words not mine). He said he wanted a youthful vibe.

2) actually likes the weather. He said it doesn't get "Africa" hot and humid nor does it get below zero often.

I do wonder why everyone mentions traffic, I'm assuming if one is retired traffic wouldn't be an issue because you wouldn't be dealing with it everyday.

My dad was in Manhattan, lol never worried about traffic because he could always go "off hours".

Old 08-17-2017, 09:25 AM

534 posts, read 249,837 times
When I visited Honolulu I noticed that the elderly were treated with more respect than here on the mainland. I saw bus drivers getting off the bus to assist a man in a wheelchair onto the bus, then helping to secure his chair into the handicapped space at the front of the bus.

I was on another bus when the driver refused to leave the stop until some teenagers (apparently tourists) gave up their seats to an elderly woman.

It was my thought, based on my short visit, that because the public transit system appeared to be elderly-friendly, this would be a good place to grow old in. My feeling was reinforced by a conversation with a native of Hawaii, living here due to the military, who said that she would return to Hawaii when she got old as she would get better care in the nursing homes there.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 AM

14,385 posts, read 7,921,507 times
No snow? Yikes. No way. Scottsdale would be too hot in the summer. Two hundred ninety nine days of sunshine sounds appealing, but no snow. I'd lean towards Salt Lake City. There are nine ski resorts within an hour. Oh Yeah!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 AM

21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I know nothing about Salt Lake City except it is a Mormon stronghold.
Then maybe you ought to learn a little bit more about it. You might end up being really pleasantly surprised. I love living in Salt Lake, but I'm not sure why anyone would choose to retire somewhere that has winters as long as ours. Otherwise, though, it's a great place to live, and not as conservative as you might expect.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:11 AM

8,763 posts, read 10,840,630 times
As most know, these ubiquitous "best places to live/retire/raise kids/etc" articles are subjective and meaningless. IMO, they are frequently compiled by newspaper of periodical writers who have writer's block, yet still must fill the page. Anyone can pick a random number of cities and then, based on available information, compare them to come-up with a fluffy "best list."

No one can either argue for or against the writer's arbitrary selection of cities or criteria ... and the space gets filled.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Then maybe you ought to learn a little bit more about it. You might end up being really pleasantly surprised. I love living in Salt Lake, but I'm not sure why anyone would choose to retire somewhere that has winters as long as ours. Otherwise, though, it's a great place to live, and not as conservative as you might expect.

Salt Lake City made my Top 10 list The two things that ruled it off the list included the winter (and a lot of snow) and traffic congestion. On the other hand, there are few cities of that size that have the cultural opportunities that SLC has. And restaurants stay open on Sunday.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:21 AM

31,630 posts, read 19,962,004 times
I'm in Hawaii, so I don't want to stay here. Tired of paying thousands just for airfare on every trip, tired of the heat and humidity.

I loved Scottsdale, AZ, but too hot.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-17-2017, 01:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 1,531,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Salt Lake City made my Top 10 list The two things that ruled it off the list included the winter (and a lot of snow) and traffic congestion. On the other hand, there are few cities of that size that have the cultural opportunities that SLC has. And restaurants stay open on Sunday.

After 10 years in Utah, I would never pick SLC either. Killer traffic with dangerous, long winters. Unless you're skiing in retirement, then good for you. The street-naming system alone drove me nuts. However, it is less than 50% Mormon these days....

If I was staying in Utah, I'd pick St. George for scenery and weather.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Perhaps when they say Atlanta, they mean suburbs where you deal less with the issues facing the inner city.
Many of the Atlanta suburbs are very, very nice. With that said, it's more traffic than I'd want to deal with, even as a retired senior who does not need to commute during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement