U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:43 PM

28 posts, read 12,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Unless you drive a fancy BMW, don't move to Scottsdale ! You will feel out of place.
Even fancy BMW tires will melt to the pavement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 PM

21,974 posts, read 22,151,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
The street-naming system alone drove me nuts.
That's actually hard for me to believe. The ease of being able to find an address anywhere in the city without ever having been there before is an enormous plus for me. I could have found my way home from anywhere in the city by the time I was ten years old. It's different, that's for sure, but virtually identical in concept to longitude and latitude.

The winters, though... I can't stand them, even though I've been told there are a lot worse places to live in the winter. Personally, I prefer warm weather, and would never move to someplace that had any more than about six weeks of cold weather a year. The traffic can be bad at times, but no worse than in any other city of that size. When Utahns complain about the traffic to Californians, it just cracks them up. They can't imagine how we could think of our traffic as bad. I guess that, like everything else, it's all relative.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:00 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,021,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's actually hard for me to believe. The ease of being able to find an address anywhere in the city without ever having been there before is an enormous plus for me. I could have found my way home from anywhere in the city by the time I was ten years old. It's different, that's for sure, but virtually identical in concept to longitude and latitude.

The winters, though... I can't stand them, even though I've been told there are a lot worse places to live in the winter. Personally, I prefer warm weather, and would never move to someplace that had any more than about six weeks of cold weather a year. The traffic can be bad at times, but no worse than in any other city of that size. When Utahns complain about the traffic to Californians, it just cracks them up. They can't imagine how we could think of our traffic as bad. I guess that, like everything else, it's all relative.

I would agree with you on both points. The street numbering system is pretty consistent and easy to follow anywhere in Utah.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,736,806 times
Well, linking to the article and reading the criteria by which they ranked locations, I might have a bit of a problem:
- Bingo Halls per Capita*: Full Weight (~2.50 Points)
- Quality of Public Hospital System: Full Weight (~2.38 Points)
Seriously?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:13 PM

13,053 posts, read 15,415,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
To me, it's the same thing as living in a swamp; humidity , bugs and more bugs. You couldn't pay me to live there. OH!!! And don't forget the Fire Ants!!!!!
But Orlando is better than, say Louisiana. I love summer, love heat, and living in Kansas City we have a lot of humidity in the summer. But I have never been so miserable as when we were in Louisiana. I can't remember if we flew into Baton Rouge or New Orleans, but it was hot and swampy and stinky and even the rental car smelled musty/swampy like it had been wet.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 PM

13,979 posts, read 7,446,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
No snow? Yikes. No way. Scottsdale would be too hot in the summer. Two hundred ninety nine days of sunshine sounds appealing, but no snow. I'd lean towards Salt Lake City. There are nine ski resorts within an hour. Oh Yeah!
My mom wintered in Park City for a bunch of years. I could easily live up on the benches and ski Alta/Bird all winter. I'm too much of a salt water junkie to live there year-round but as a skier, it's world class, close to an urban area, and affordable. The Mormon presence in SLC is also diluted enough that you're not overpowered by it like you would be in small town Utah.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:36 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,389,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I would basically reverse the list. I would prefer Honolulu as number one. COL might be high but boy is it beautiful there. I did find small condos running for under 1200 a month there downtown Waikiki.

Florida is not really my cup of tea for the humidity. Scottsdale sounds interesting but I have never lived in the Southwest. The closest I was to there was Palm Springs CA.

The lists do get people talking though.
IF retired military (which I think applies to you) there is actually "base housing" available to you to rent on Oahu, check this out!) https://islandpalmcommunities.prospe...ion/switch_cls[id]/66093/property[id]/204080/show_in_popup/false/kill_session/1/?_ga=2.143434353.534318711.1503052565-100422563.1498559290

Old 08-18-2017, 09:58 AM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,863,927 times
A word about Salt Lake City.... where we have lived since 1990.

We moved here and bought our first house in 1993. $92K.

Have since moved up and our house now on Zillow could sell for $350-$375K.

We won't retire here because it's not "home". It's become a popular place to move to - not just for retirement.

If I wanted all this traffic and craziness - I'd move to Southern California.....

I don't ever want to shovel snow again. Nope - we won't be staying here.

As for the LDS influence? Yeah. The state legislature is pretty much solid.... but there are plenty of non-faithful here.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I actually have a friend from NYC that retired to Atlanta. I asked him this summer why he picked Atlanta.

I do wonder why everyone mentions traffic, I'm assuming if one is retired traffic wouldn't be an issue because you wouldn't be dealing with it everyday.

My dad was in Manhattan, lol never worried about traffic because he could always go "off hours".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many of the Atlanta suburbs are very, very nice. With that said, it's more traffic than I'd want to deal with, even as a retired senior who does not need to commute during rush hour.

Eliza61nyc makes a good point about retirees being able to choose (to a certain extent) when and where they will deal with traffic. But I come down more on the side of SeriousConversation in my opinion that traffic is still a factor.

After all, there are still museums, concerts, and other attractions which may require driving during rush hour. Stuff like lunches with friends who may be on the other side of town. (I am assuming people do not wish to become house-bound just because traffic is bad).

Where you live in relation to places you go can make quite a difference. I am close (ten miles east) to downtown Los Angeles, so classical music concerts at Walt Disney Concert Hall are a snap for me, especially as they are frequently on Sunday. But there are also a lot of cultural events on the west side (UCLA and Santa Monica, etc.), most of which I just pass on because of horrible traffic. Not everything can be on a Sunday.

I am fortunate in having an art house cinema four miles from my house. I have sometimes even walked there to see a movie, then walked home.

Truly, I don't know how some people have the commutes they have and still retain their sanity. during the last 20 years of my 34-year career, I had a fairly short, and fairly easy commute. I was lucky. So, there are work-arounds, but traffic is still a factor.

The tremendous variety and quality of the cultural advantages of Los Angeles make the traffic worth coping with. If I weren't interested in the culture, I think I would consider getting out of here. But as it is, I don't have the slightest desire to make a change.

Which brings us back to Atlanta. As a large metro area, Atlanta has its culture too. But it wouldn't be enough to tempt me to cope with their traffic.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 AM

10,531 posts, read 8,781,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Well at least this one has Orlando on it. works for this Disney addict.

I don't know who wallethub is so can't say if it's worth the read but enjoy

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-place...iette-o-malley

top 3 are in Florida.
1. Orlando
2. Tampa
3. Miami
4. Scottsdale Az
5. Atlanta Ga
6. Salt Lake City Utah
7. Honolulu, HI
The vast majority of retirees I know didn't go anywhere when they retired. I think this is probably true of the majority of US retirees, but not being a glamorous lot, they don't get much attention, especially from industries who make a living off them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement