U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,243,341 times

Advertisements

In the past I thought I wanted to move to a warmer state, etc. I just thought it would be nice to never have to wear winter boots, drive on ice, need heavy clothing to stay warm. I dreamed of living on or near the beach and just having a great time, enjoying all the perks I thought about.

But as I've gotten older (matured??), I've come to realize I like winter. I have read what people have said, got to get away from cold, snow, ice. But to be honest with you, that is the time of year I feel invigorated. Certainly more energy if only to keep warm when outside. I've enjoyed cleaning off my car (especially if I'm not pressed for time), and in occasions when no snow shovel available, I've dug out my car using a dust pan.

OK, so you think I qualify for the "home." Or the farm, whatever. But it is how I feel about it now and I have decided I'm staying in NY. Hope to visit some of those other places when I can and if I have enough $$, but to live?? I choose my home state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:42 PM

564 posts, read 296,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post
Lists like this make me wonder how one determines "best." High crime, high prices/COL, congested areas for a good number of those choices.
The lists are more of a hoot than a help. One Best States list will have State A at or near the top while another list will have it at or near the bottom.

This list seems not to have COL as a factor. Nor congestion.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 PM

982 posts, read 144,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
... This list seems not to have COL as a factor. Nor congestion.
I just re-skimmed the article accompanying the list, and they do measure affordability and also "quality of life," with very interesting results.

Last edited by barb712; 08-18-2017 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 07:00 AM

156 posts, read 110,489 times
What is "best"? These articles are more "click bait" than any use - except for forum and dinner table discussions.

Based on a weighting system that is often not defined or the personal preference of the author another "best" article is spewed out for some to agree and others not!

From my experience all countries, states, towns and cities have a variety of areas and communities - for many different reasons some may be very attractive while others are definitely not!

Old 08-19-2017, 07:29 AM

954 posts, read 1,443,025 times
Sorry, but the last place I'd want to retire would be to any big city. Lived in plenty of cities while I was younger and working. Most of this list is hardly even worth visiting. Find me a country home in the woods of rural east TN or the outskirts of a small town in the Hill Country of TX, now we're talking a relaxed retirement. But personally I've had enough of the stress of big city living.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 AM

5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
But personally I've had enough of the stress of big city living.
Curious = what stresses you out so much about living in a big city during retirement? Big cities often have nice suburbs where things like crime, traffic, etc. aren't much of an issue especially to a retiree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
He didn't want to be in Florida with the median age of 90. (his words not mine). He said he wanted a youthful vibe.
I think this is mostly South Florida. Cities like Jacksonville and Tampa have a median age that is similar to Atlanta, while cities with big colleges like Tallahassee and Gainesville are much younger.

We've been considering Georgia (or FL, SC) to settle in when we move back to USA, not sure yet though. Warm weather no problem.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:16 AM

5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But Orlando is better than, say Louisiana. I love summer, love heat, and living in Kansas City we have a lot of humidity in the summer. But I have never been so miserable as when we were in Louisiana. I can't remember if we flew into Baton Rouge or New Orleans, but it was hot and swampy and stinky and even the rental car smelled musty/swampy like it had been wet.
Interestingly the average humidity in the places you mentioned are about the same, with Orlando barely higher overall and Big Easy a slightly wetter low.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ity-annual.php
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ity-annual.php

City, Avg, High, Low
Orlando 75%, 89%, 56%
Baton Route 74%, 88%, 56%
New Orleans 74%, 86%, 61%

New Orleans sure does have a lot of other environmental challenges though.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:23 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Sorry, but the last place I'd want to retire would be to any big city. Lived in plenty of cities while I was younger and working. Most of this list is hardly even worth visiting. Find me a country home in the woods of rural east TN or the outskirts of a small town in the Hill Country of TX, now we're talking a relaxed retirement. But personally I've had enough of the stress of big city living.
I wouldn't want to retire to a truly major city like Atlanta either, but a lot of folks (especially those who have never lived in small towns or rural areas) don't realize that a lot of things in rural areas and small towns are not what they seem to be.

I live in a small town in northeast TN. We have a good patch of woods on our property. My immediate area is mostly fine, but once you start getting into the more rural areas, things start changing quickly. You may not have a family doctor or urgent care around 45+ minutes. It might be over an hour to a small hospital, possible a couple of hours back to Knoxville for more serious stuff. Some sophisticated medical needs aren't able to be treated effectively here. There may be only one grocery store in town, with sky high prices. That cellular reception people are accustomed to - well, you may not have that for miles around. If you need a contractor, there may not be anyone local who can do the work, and you may be having to call someone from Knoxville, who will charge you an arm and a leg for their time/gas for the service call. Drugs and property crime related to drugs/people looking for drugs is a major concern. Many of the truly rural folks have families that have been there for generations are often not that welcoming to outsiders.

There are many, many things like this that people don't often think of. Anyone can see a pretty picture or brochure of a place and think it's quaint country living, but the day to day reality of the living there is often quite different than imagined.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Curious = what stresses you out so much about living in a big city during retirement? Big cities often have nice suburbs where things like crime, traffic, etc. aren't much of an issue especially to a retiree.

I think this is mostly South Florida. Cities like Jacksonville and Tampa have a median age that is similar to Atlanta, while cities with big colleges like Tallahassee and Gainesville are much younger.

We've been considering Georgia (or FL, SC) to settle in when we move back to USA, not sure yet though. Warm weather no problem.
Agreed. I lived in an affluent suburb of Indianapolis (maybe the most affluent city in the state), and while the traffic congestion during rush hour is a problem, that won't impact a retiree much. Otherwise, the area has a fabulous cost of living for what you get, crime is a nonissue, there are excellent amenities within the suburb itself, you can get to downtown Indy within half an hour outside of rush hour, etc.

Aside from lousy winters and a lack of natural scenery, living somewhere like Carmel is much easier than back in the sticks of Claiborne County, Tennessee for instance.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
............ He didn't want to be in Florida with the median age of 90. (his words not mine). He said he wanted a youthful vibe.

Well, you know the old saying: You can always tell you are in Florida because the cars in front of you appear to be driven by headless people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement