U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:47 AM

8,394 posts, read 9,141,441 times

Advertisements

Until I figure out a way to drive to Hawaii (where our grandkids reside) I'll keep flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 AM

1,802 posts, read 3,834,769 times
Used to be flying didn't bother me much. I flew for business back in the 80s and 90s almost every week. I have only flown 3 times since 9/11 and it's been a royal pain. And for some reason I seem to get singled out for extra screening. 5'2" redheaded, chubby Irish older lady....go figure. Anyway the last time I flew, my flight including 1 stop was to be about 4 hours. Charlotte to Newark to Syracuse. 12 hours after I left my house I finally landed in Albany via Minneapolis. I swore never again. Luckily the gate and flight attendants on that flight were very accommodating allowing me to board first and when I asked them about storing my cane I was told it was good to leave it right beside me...no problems. Although when our first flight was cancelled I almost got knocked down on the jetway by everybody else pushing to be first in line at the gate for re-booking. I just got on my phone while in line and booked a later flight while watching everyone else who had practically knocked me down book the next flight out only to have that one cancelled as well! I now have an artificial hip and I dread the thought of going through security with that.

My next trip to visit my daughter in CT was by Amtrak. Best non-car trip ever. Rest have all been by car. We actually have a cruisetour for Alaska booked for next year but I'm not sure if I even want the hassle of flying that far.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,987,396 times
It's crazy how various harmless people, especially older people, get singled out for extra screening. My DH had knee replacement surgery last year and I'm not looking forward to the metal possibly being a screening problem on this next trip. It used to be the surgeon would give the knee replacement patient a certificate verifying the new knee. However his doc office said the TSA no longer pays any attention to that, so they no longer issue one. Hope it's not a problem overseas.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:17 PM

31,630 posts, read 19,962,004 times
It's because they are not allowed to profile.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-17-2017, 12:20 PM

2,474 posts, read 904,415 times
I despise flying with a passion. Admittedly, it's because I'm old enough to remember when it was actually a pleasant experience at the airport!

I often trip security scanners and I think it's sometimes from having metal wiring in my sternum from a heart bypass long ago.

And I like to comment to Post #10. My husband was told that he had to have his cane in the overhead bin, so the attendance shoved it in there. When we handed the cane fell and thumped someone on the head.

Now that I am retired I am going to use Amtrak a lot more for trips to the next state.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:31 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,522,722 times
I remember RiverBird having some circulation issues in her lower extremities that made long flights inadvisable. I've had several skin cancers removed from my shins that required stitches and took six weeks or more to heal and was told not to fly due to possible blood clots. My dad's family has a history of strokes. Before each flight, I regularly take aspirin and do some simple exercises to pump more blood to my legs while seated on the plane. An older relative had arthritis in her back and could not tolerate the airport and plane seats or walking and standing for "long" periods but she was in her 80's. I've gotten bad colds on my last three trips and my eardrum ruptured after one flight.

Not all of us live in areas with easy direct flights. A friend in her early 70's lives in a more isolated area and has to take two flights to visit us in New Mexico. Her small airport has limited service and the first flight is at oddball times with the schedule subject to change. She often ends up missing her second flight due to this schedule change, weather, or mechanical issues and is stuck sleeping in the airport until the next morning (but she is too cheap to go to a hotel). So I have noticed that she now hates to travel and is limiting her trips these days.

I'm surprised that the retirees here have not mentioned more medical issues for being grounded.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:34 PM

2,430 posts, read 1,666,491 times
DH flies weekly and knows all the in and outs. None of it bothers him, if it did he wouldn't be in the job he has. His Mom flies back and forth to FL each year on a no frills airline and at 85 she has not had any problems. DH and her possess equanimity and never take things that happen at airports or on flights personally.

After years of 12-15 hour drives to see relatives and two day trips back and forth to NY and FL with pets, I like flying these days. My road trip tolerance is much shorter after years of doing too many of them. If given a choice, I'll choose a plane.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-17-2017 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM

530 posts, read 537,963 times
... At this stage of the game (newly-retired, and DW not-yet-retired), we plan to use the airlines for visits to Family members, flung all over the U.S.A.
I try hard to find an aisle seat that's open; even if it's the last aisle seat at the back of the plane. Like many who've already posted so, restroom access becomes mandatory, usually after a couple of hours in the air; it's simply a fact-of-life.
All that said, once DW retires full-time, we'll also be taking more road trips, "see-ing the U.S.A. in our CR-V" (not Chev-ro-let) as much as we're physically able. Stopping for a break is a lot less impactful that way.

As an aside, my parents quit flying right-after my Dad made the mistake of opening a secure door in the airport, and alarms sounded, "causing time to stand still", as my Mom stated it!
They stayed pretty-much home-bound, in their 80s, after that little incident! ... They both no longer cared about driving any great distance(s) in order to travel, so that kind-of put the 'kibosh' on traveling. Family members were encouraged to travel to see them, instead of the other-way-around.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:23 PM

3,432 posts, read 1,529,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It's crazy how various harmless people, especially older people, get singled out for extra screening. My DH had knee replacement surgery last year and I'm not looking forward to the metal possibly being a screening problem on this next trip. It used to be the surgeon would give the knee replacement patient a certificate verifying the new knee. However his doc office said the TSA no longer pays any attention to that, so they no longer issue one. Hope it's not a problem overseas.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Too much experience. With 2 artificial knees and one hip, I get pulled out EVERY time. And correct, they do not want to see the cards the doctors gave. Overseas and domestic, I get the added screening.

And we have LONG layovers in Quito no matter what. UGH.

Our household goods got shipped through the Panama Canal to Guayaquil, so I wonder if we could do that too??

Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It wasn't age-related issues that made me quit flying. It was the security hassles, the delays, the drunk co-passengers, but most of all the cramped and crowded seating. Also, sitting next to someone with an "emotional support" slobbering and panting shih tzu wasn't my cuppa.

For reasons that will remain forever cloudy, before I quit flying I was repeatedly pulled over for extra screening. Being groped and wanded wasn't "horrible" but it was damn sure unnecessary, intrusive, and inconvenient.
That hassle might have been tolerable if only the actual flights were passably pleasant.

DH is a intrepid traveler who is reconsidering after a seatmate on a DFW to DEN flight threw up on his feet.
This is pretty much where I am at. Although I have not been "selected" for any sort of special screening.

I will probably fly to Ukraine this fall for work, will be good to see the in-laws, but anymore I don't look forward to flying.

The age related angle is that I flew over 800K miles on Delta before 9-11. Back then, I was usually upgraded, security screenings were normal, the flights were not packed completely full. I know how it should be, and I know it ain't like that anymore. So I am not about to pay out of my own pocket for any optional trips.

And I may or may not decide this fall's Ukraine trip is my last one of those as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or