U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2017, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Central IL
15,253 posts, read 8,552,827 times
Reputation: 35688

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's because they are not allowed to profile.
That might explain why older women with artificial joints are occasionally chosen by some pseudo-random method they use...but doesn't explain if they are in fact chosen so much that they are actually "picked on" - that would imply a completely different profile being used!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 PM
 
3,099 posts, read 826,126 times
Reputation: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I'm flying to Europe in a few weeks and being in my early 70's, am concerned about I will do on an 8 hr flight. We did book 2 aisle seats so that I don't have to climb over any others all night on my trips to the bathroom. Also, I'm now on meds for a sinus infection and am very concerned about ears, etc if I can't get it cleared all the way up. (Why do doctors always start out with the weakest antibiotic ����). We toured Central Europe 2 years ago and I was totally exhausted by the flight home on British Airways. The plane was hot and stuffy, the food mostly bread, and there were smells emanating from some passengers!
No fun for sure to dread a flight.

We just returned from Europe where I had a terrible cold and, like you, was worried about the impact on ears - particularly since one ear already is damaged from a bad cold that resulted in an inner ear infection.

I loaded up on over the counter products but at the duty-free section of the airport for no particular reason just happened to sample a drink called "chilitrim" then walked about 50 feet or so from the counter before realizing that the congestion was gone. Just gone. Instantly.

Thought for second then put two and two together to realize that hot stuff can clear sinuses. I hightailed it back. The saleswoman assured me it would work for a cold. And doggone it - it worked like a charm. The soon as a descent began I pulled out the bottle, took several swags, and presto. No problem.

I just checked Amazon but it does not appear to be sold in the US. There are some similar online recipes - basically, its fruit juice with chili powder. Only small sips are needed - and, if hot enough, *could* be taken - so the bottle size should be small enough to clear TSA.

What IS available on Amazon, though, is a second product that I've bought overseas in duty-free. Evian Spray Water for the face. Like you, I hate the stuffiness - to the point that it becomes claustrophobic. The spray is super refreshing.

Other other thing I did for the first time that I found more relaxing than watching the video programming or even reading a book was to listen to an audio book. The combination of mind engrossing entertainment while being able to shut your eyes and drift away REALLY helped. If I couldn't SEE the plane I wasn't on the plane.

It does seem that more and more planning is required to keep making those long flights halfway acceptable.

Hope all goes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
9,255 posts, read 8,323,304 times
Reputation: 20114
I'm old or not old according to who you ask (I'm 52) and I hate flying because I mostly dislike other people.

Unfortunately, we fly.

Flying to Italy in September and dreading it like crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 09:12 PM
 
3,305 posts, read 1,354,075 times
Reputation: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I despise flying with a passion. Admittedly, it's because I'm old enough to remember when it was actually a pleasant experience at the airport!


I often trip security scanners and I think it's sometimes from having metal wiring in my sternum from a heart bypass long ago.


And I like to comment to Post #10. My husband was told that he had to have his cane in the overhead bin, so the attendance shoved it in there. When we handed the cane fell and thumped someone on the head.


Now that I am retired I am going to use Amtrak a lot more for trips to the next state.
I know someone who took Jet Blue and had a cane that he also needed in order to get up. Nothing doing, the steward was going to wrestle it off him and put it in the overhead and instead dropped it ON his head. The guy has major health issues (headaches and skin problems among them) and sued them.

Next time they treat you badly, just start asking if there are any lawyers on board.

I don't like flying anymore, either, nothing to do with age or health, but with the deteriorating experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 PM
 
5,163 posts, read 2,784,723 times
Reputation: 8275
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It's crazy how various harmless people, especially older people, get singled out for extra screening. My DH had knee replacement surgery last year and I'm not looking forward to the metal possibly being a screening problem on this next trip. It used to be the surgeon would give the knee replacement patient a certificate verifying the new knee. However his doc office said the TSA no longer pays any attention to that, so they no longer issue one. Hope it's not a problem overseas.
S
Anyone have any experience with this?



My husband had successful knee replacement surgery in '05, but we took one quick trip before the surgery. I've told this story before, but the TSA person was such an a--hole, it's worth repeating... I really hope he remembered this day for a long time.

We were at SEATAC, returning to SAN. My husband was in a lot of pain with a bad limp. The metal in the brace that he wore to help support his crippled knee set off the metal detector...this was pre-wanding, so they took him behind a curtain & had him drop his pants. The TSA jerk was on his knees in front of my husband, to "inspect" the knee brace. The thing is, my husband goes "commando"...quickest "inspection" ever! LOL!

BTW, the knee replacement doesn't set off any screening issues...but maybe have DH go commando, just in case!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 08-17-2017 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,275 posts, read 4,158,066 times
Reputation: 15718
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Flying is no big deal. Get TSA-Pre, or Global Entry, or Clear, and sail thru security.

Sure, I try to get aisle seating, because as you say, the bathroom breaks are a little more often. But for the most part, flying is not an issue.

Definitely get PreCheck at the very least, especially if you don't fly internationally. You get to keep your shoes and belt on and you get through much faster. I've flown twice in the past two weeks and there was no line for PreCheck either time, vs 20 or 40 people in the regular line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 02:11 AM
 
Location: R.I.
980 posts, read 607,104 times
Reputation: 4258
Last year my husband and I took a roundtrip flight from Boston to Paris and Paris to Barcelona which was our departure port for an Italian coast cruise. We flew upgraded coach on Air France which gave a good amount of seat and leg room which made our 7 hour flight to Paris pretty comfortable. On the return trip home our flight was delayed a few hours but this worked to our advantage as we were upgraded to business class and those seats turned into beds and I slept all the way home while my husband watched movies the entire time while drinking nice French wine and for this reason I got stuck driving home from Boston during rush hour.

We felt very safe during our entire trip because there was a significant police presence everywhere, but now reflecting back prompted by this recent terrorist attack which our hotel in Barcelona was smack in the middle of the Las Ramblas and we walked multiple times the same route those unfortunate victims walked is very sobering.

Last edited by Nightengale212; 08-18-2017 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: Add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
1,501 posts, read 1,192,298 times
Reputation: 3790
I have no issues flying, in fact I tend to enjoy it. I do take red-eyes, but I am one of those people that can sleep on airplanes. In fact, on a flight to London I slept for 8 straight hours. The flight attendant said she was beginning to worry that she wouldn't be able to wake me up.
I will fly business class on any flight over 4 hours, and am Pre Check so security is less of a hassle.
I love the hustle and bustle of airport and making up stories about who is flying and to where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Kalamalka Lake, B.C.
3,044 posts, read 4,020,006 times
Reputation: 3898
I lay off the coffee before a flight, always take the exit door window seat for the legroom, and get a direct flight if possible.
Then again, my flights are all less than three hours and non-stop. With two stops they easily turn into an eight hour ordeal.

I can't imagine what some people have gone through recently sitting on the tarmac for six hours dealing with an overseas flight. I think I'd just have to pay more and plan ahead.

One other thing is proper medical insurance. You get cut off from airline/ticket 5 million coverage at age 64 and by 70 I'd suggest you have a lot of your traveling done!! I do know active seniors in their nineties still flying EVERYWHERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2017, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Kronenwetter Wisconsin
289 posts, read 140,963 times
Reputation: 600
Just flew to visit my daughter in Anchorage. Flight was crowded but everyone pleasant. Security was a breeze. Seats are tight but for 5 hours i can deal with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top