U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:31 PM

13,371 posts, read 6,390,348 times

Advertisements

I just booked to go to Europe on business class, maybe it will be a bit better than the cattle class. I've been joking to my husband that he needs to practice his posh British accent, practice saying "How do you do" ala My Fair Lady, because who knows, we might bump into some British celebrities or musicians at the airport. I hope nobody will puke on us.
But the real problem we have right now is I used my free companion ticket and booked using free avios, and I'm too cheap to pay for money to select my seat option, so I might not get to sit next to my hubby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 07:06 PM

7,073 posts, read 7,011,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
No fun for sure to dread a flight.

We just returned from Europe where I had a terrible cold and, like you, was worried about the impact on ears - particularly since one ear already is damaged from a bad cold that resulted in an inner ear infection.

I loaded up on over the counter products but at the duty-free section of the airport for no particular reason just happened to sample a drink called "chilitrim" then walked about 50 feet or so from the counter before realizing that the congestion was gone. Just gone. Instantly.

Thought for second then put two and two together to realize that hot stuff can clear sinuses. I hightailed it back. The saleswoman assured me it would work for a cold. And doggone it - it worked like a charm. The soon as a descent began I pulled out the bottle, took several swags, and presto. No problem.

I just checked Amazon but it does not appear to be sold in the US. There are some similar online recipes - basically, its fruit juice with chili powder. Only small sips are needed - and, if hot enough, *could* be taken - so the bottle size should be small enough to clear TSA.

What IS available on Amazon, though, is a second product that I've bought overseas in duty-free. Evian Spray Water for the face. Like you, I hate the stuffiness - to the point that it becomes claustrophobic. The spray is super refreshing.

Other other thing I did for the first time that I found more relaxing than watching the video programming or even reading a book was to listen to an audio book. The combination of mind engrossing entertainment while being able to shut your eyes and drift away REALLY helped. If I couldn't SEE the plane I wasn't on the plane.

It does seem that more and more planning is required to keep making those long flights halfway acceptable.

Hope all goes well.
Thank you, EveryLady, for the hints! I plan to try to make my own Chilitrim. Do you have an idea what type of fruit juice it contained? Chili powder supposedly is an anti-inflammatory!

I love audiobooks and listen every night when I try to go to sleep. I search for the ones with soothing voices.

My congestion has improved slightly, but several prescription meds do not seem to clear it totally up.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:15 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,829,969 times
I still fly to see relatives in Florida, but hate the flying experience.

I used to fly a lot in my job, taken hundred plus trips during my career. But the flying experience has changed a lot the past 45 years, the seats are a lot more cramped and the airport security process is annoying (but necessary). People have changed a lot too, the allowance for animals (yes, not just dogs) and behaviors are not the same as back then. Once I no longer have relatives in Florida, I plan to stop flying altogether.

I enjoy driving, not a chore for me at all to go 1000 plus miles on a journey.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:55 PM

15,443 posts, read 4,087,497 times
I mean - we don't really enjoy flying, but it CAN be reasonably decent if you set things up right and are dealing with flights up to 3 hours (NE to Florida, in most cases for us).

We have to go to my daughters wedding CA next month - not looking forward to cross-country, but will do it. Most of the time, tho, our left coast daughter comes here since more of the family is in the east.

I think some of you take it too seriously. I am able to "check out" of the real world (in my head and body) for a couple hours....and just ignore any of the BS related to it. Wifey uses headphones and her ipad but I usually don't.

I don't like to fly due to the waste of time, jet lag (east to west) and use of large amounts of oil. But I think I will be flying here and there until I hit about 75 after which time it would only be a very close family member funeral...if even that. One thing about getting older is that it's time for everyone to come to YOU.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:03 PM

31,783 posts, read 20,055,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I just booked to go to Europe on business class, maybe it will be a bit better than the cattle class. I've been joking to my husband that he needs to practice his posh British accent, practice saying "How do you do" ala My Fair Lady, because who knows, we might bump into some British celebrities or musicians at the airport. I hope nobody will puke on us.
But the real problem we have right now is I used my free companion ticket and booked using free avios, and I'm too cheap to pay for money to select my seat option, so I might not get to sit next to my hubby.
I would trade sitting next to my husband for business class anytime, anywhere. HUGE difference.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-20-2017, 02:42 AM

9,778 posts, read 7,063,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I have been flying since the age of four and now at 57 my health is pretty good but I am much slower in getting around.

There have been so many changes over the years and the days of empty planes and reclining seats and plenty of room are gone............and lack of food on coast to coast travel.

The planes now are full along with the overheads and those trying to bring everything but the kitchen sink in with them. Compassion and courtesy of passengers for the most part have vanished.

I still fly but arrive at the airport way in advance of my flight and take my time getting through the TSA and getting to the gate. I plan my layovers for no less than two hours due to delays and the size of some of the airports I fly into with the distance between terminals. I now stay on the plane until most everyone has gotten off to keep from getting trampled by those racing to the front and getting smacked by those taking their oversized carry on's from the overhead........
That's what I always tried to do when I flew, ie., arrive at the airport well ahead of the flight, scheduling layovers of 2-3 hours when possible, to allow for delays, contingencies that came up. I never used the overhead compartment on a flight, preferring instead to carry a bag that could fit my purse in it and fit under the seat. That often, but not always, eliminated some hassle. I won't fly anymore, though, my last flight was in 2010.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:28 AM

1,137 posts, read 572,365 times
For me, thanks to DW, air travel won't be over for a while, but I am 'praying' that flying for fun will be a lot different than for work. Once in a plane, trips are 'generally' OK (let's not talk lost luggage), but coming and going to the plane was always a pain. I was glad when my company stopped sending me on long flights to SE Asia last year. Prior few years were full of last minute 'get up at 4:00am, catch a flight to China/Korea' from Detroit, 12-14 hours one way, then only to arrive at the destination, go to a meeting, get two hours of sleep, and repeat. Then have to report the trip to the team a day later. Totally burned out. But DW was envious of me getting to 'travel the world'. Yea, right, couped-up in an center seat for 12-hours, then a similar same seat for another 13 hours in the dark/light. No sleep, bad food. Now she wants to travel, and I will gladly oblige and travel with her, but if I had my way, I would never be on a plane again. Prefer to drive 24-hours with rest stops than be in a commercial jet for two.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:14 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,769,401 times
Cramped seats

This is something I didn't bring up in my original post. Indeed, the airlines have made the distance between seats (fore and aft) smaller over the decades and if one is even slightly taller than average (as I am) the result is discomfort. I have always been a cheapskate, but for the first time ever I elected for pay about $60 each way for "Delta Comfort" for the recent flights which I described in the OP. That gives you six inches of extra leg/knee room, and I thought it was well worth it. The lateral room is still the same, i.e., rather tight, but to remedy that first class is required and that would have been a lot more.

I don't believe Southwest offers the extra room for an increased fare, and the details on other airlines may differ. I am just describing what I experienced on Delta and saying that I was glad I tried that option.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:43 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,464,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post

I was glad when my company stopped sending me on long flights to SE Asia last year. Prior few years were full of last minute 'get up at 4:00am, catch a flight to China/Korea' from Detroit, 12-14 hours one way, then only to arrive at the destination, go to a meeting, get two hours of sleep, and repeat. Then have to report the trip to the team a day later. Totally burned out. Yea, right, couped-up in an center seat for 12-hours, then a similar same seat for another 13 hours in the dark/light. No sleep, bad food.
Too bad your company did not or does not believe in the power of electronic meetings. It's just like being there. That would be much more sensible than the awful trips you describe. It really is nonsensical. All that you accomplish in being at the meeting in person can be done by televising each other on a screen - there are plenty of such systems available.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 PM

21,972 posts, read 14,450,483 times
I want to mention that there are things you can do to make flying more pleasant for yourself. We try to get roomier seats now, when they are available. I have bad knees and I need more leg room. We are usually preselected to go through security without having to take our shoes off. Once you are over 68, I think this becomes pretty standard. This speeds up going through TSA. I've traveled many times, and I've not had problems recently with how I have been treated. A number of years ago, yes. But in the last 10 years, not so much.

Another thing we try to do is to allow enough time between connecting flights. It is nerve wracking to have to run through an airport to a distant gate, trying to make a flight.

We've had mishaps. I won't fly United. If we go back to Hawaii, we'll go Hawaiian airlines or we won't go back. I like flying Alaska, and Southwest the best. But my next flight is with Delta. We'll see how that goes.

I have traveled many times on Southwest, and I've never had a bad experience. Pyewacket, I think I would have written a complaint to the airline. SW people are usually pleasant and even accommodating. I rather like flying them. It doesn't sound as if you had a good experience, and I think the airline needs to know.

I do agree that flying is not a pleasure. But sometimes flying is the best way to get to where you are going. So, I grin and bear it. There will come a time when I will not feel like going. So, I go now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or