Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:46 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

And these stories are why, unless it's a matter of life and death, I am NOT flying again. My last flight was in April of 2007 when I flew from Fort Myers to NYC to see La Boheme at the Met. My sister and I hate flying so we took tranquilizers as soon as we boarded and we had an uneventful flight but the horror stories I'm hearing these days definitely scare me. Plus with fibromyalgia I just can't sit for 4 hours straight. I would never be able to stand up because my back and legs would hurt so bad. It's bad enough just being in the car for an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
My barber flew back in the winter from TN to AZ to see his grandson at age 90. He's the oldest I know personally to have flown. Grandmother and her now late sister flew from TN to CA several years back to see their brother, but they both had assistance at the airport in wheelchairs.

Agree with others that flying is generally an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. My local airport is small and expensive. Of the twelve flights out of there today, eleven are to Charlotte and Atlanta, with one to Orlando. Virtually anywhere I'd go, I'd have a layover in CLT or ATL. If it's shorter than say eight hours to drive, it's generally faster to just drive it.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:23 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Flying is no big deal. Get TSA-Pre, or Global Entry, or Clear, and sail thru security.

Sure, I try to get aisle seating, because as you say, the bathroom breaks are a little more often. But for the most part, flying is not an issue.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
We live about 2 to 2.5 hrs drive to major NYC airports. It's the drive to the airports which we dread and not the flights themselves.

Flying has become more of a hassle after 9/11 but TSA Precheck has made the security screening almost back to previous days.

We prefer flying our own little plane than commercial airlines but it is not practical for long distance trips. Flying above 30000 ft can be very enjoyable on clear days. I always try to book window seat and find it thrilling to look at the landscape below (rivers, lakes, mountain tops, hills, farm land, and the view of big cities at night are just incredible). Views of fluffy clouds floating around are even more spectacular with sunset or sunrise settings. One year, we got to see many fantastic firework displays on an evening flight from NY to Florida. I will also never forget the amazing view of the Arctic Circle from above when we flew from NY to Tokyo.

I hope that we both stay healthy enough to continue enjoy flying for many years to come. Yes, traveling becomes harder as we get older with all the aches and pains from arthritis, knees, back injuries, foot problems etc. However, I think that if one enjoys traveling, going to different places for new experiences or just visiting relatives, friends, one can find ways to minimize travel discomfort. We used to prefer direct flights but with my husband's bad back, if possible, we try to keep each flight leg no more than 4 hours. Inflatable neck and back pillows are also of great help. Whenever possible, we try to book our seats in the 2-seats aisle and select emergency exit row.

I was very surprised to read Pyewackette's account of being boarded last while in a wheelchair. In all the flights that we have taken, disable people and families with children are ALWAYS boarded first. Whenever my husband travels with a cane, we were always directed to short line or given priority security check and boarding. With a good ankle brace and stronger back, my husband no longer needs to use a cane. Sometimes, I joke that he should just bring it whenever we fly ;-)

When my husband was using a cane, he had a folding one so we never had issues with being asked to stow it in the overhead bin. If a cane can be properly stowed under the seat, I do not see any reasons for the flight attendant to make such request. It it was me, I would let him stow my cane then buzz him many times for my frequent trips to the bathroom regardless of my real need ;-)

Old 08-17-2017, 09:11 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
We're relative young and still fly to places. I always take more caution now as I often has to remind my husband to drain before we board. I have weak bladder but he doesn't. But I do worry if some unforeseen things happen and we will not allowed to use the restroom for hours. Who knows? My mind do wonder sometimes.
Recently we went to Canada and from Seattle to Canada we had to fly a Bombadier type of plane. We had to use stairs and carry our small carry on luggage. I wasn't sure I could do both so an airline employee had to help with my carry on luggage. I think when I get to be 70, climbing these stairs would be difficult.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
We travel twice a year and the minimum flight time is 5 hours one way. I hate sitting still, but it's not that bad - I do pay the extra for the extra leg room even though I am short.

Thank goodness for electronic devices that carry books, magazines, music, podcasts, classes, movies and TV shows.

We actually get excited just being in the airport (yay!! a chance to overpay on mediocre food!), DH is MUCH more fun on vacation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
I'm flying to Europe in a few weeks and being in my early 70's, am concerned about I will do on an 8 hr flight. We did book 2 aisle seats so that I don't have to climb over any others all night on my trips to the bathroom. Also, I'm now on meds for a sinus infection and am very concerned about ears, etc if I can't get it cleared all the way up. (Why do doctors always start out with the weakest antibiotic ����). We toured Central Europe 2 years ago and I was totally exhausted by the flight home on British Airways. The plane was hot and stuffy, the food mostly bread, and there were smells emanating from some passengers!

Old 08-17-2017, 10:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Flying is no big deal. Get TSA-Pre, or Global Entry, or Clear, and sail thru security.

Sure, I try to get aisle seating, because as you say, the bathroom breaks are a little more often. But for the most part, flying is not an issue.

I'm a career road warrior. As you say, TSA Pre and an aisle seat make flying bearable. I'm 6'2" so knowing the seat dimensions of the equipment on the route and avoiding the most offensive flights also helps. I don't fit in a 28" seat pitch seat.

The other thing I've been doing for many years now is avoiding red eye flights. I fly to Europe on the Boston/Heathrow morning flight. I won't go to Asia in an economy seat.

I'm commuting weekly on a 4 1/2 hour Amtrak train at the moment. It's fantastic compared to flying. No TSA. You can get up and walk around. Good air quality. You can bring all the food and liquids you want aboard the train. In seat power. Wide seat with good legroom.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:33 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I stopped taking red eyes. My theory was that I would sleep and arrive rested.

Just the opposite, massively sleep deprived so I would lose the first day resting or being super cranky.

I HAVE to have aisle seats (DH or myself).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 AM

888 posts, read 889,903 times
95-year-old WWII pilot still flying high | The Sacramento Bee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement