U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:25 PM

8,411 posts, read 9,162,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTONSC View Post
You guessed wrong! With Ooma, the land line is $4.10 per month.

Great service and great price.
Gosh I even bolted the word some and it was still missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
My old AT&T account that I've had for 8 years is $47/month with unlimited long-distance. I very seldom call people but when I do call family I'm usually on the phone for a long time. No text package, as I don't text - at all (can't get some of my friends to understand that, then I get mad because I'm paying for the damn mgs).
Time to get rid of the old plan. As a public service I went to the att site and you can get an unlimited talk and text plan for $30 a month. No more getting pissed off when someone texts you. Call 611 on your cell phone and make the change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 PM

662 posts, read 480,981 times
OP, it's an interesting deal, being for 55+ people with unlimited data. For me, my concern with all company plans is their coverage, as I find it very annoying to be out and have my phone not work. I'm thinking of going with google fi which automatically switches between Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular depending upon the strength of signal. I do wish it used Verizon too, but you can't have everything.

It's $20 for unlimited talk/text and $10 per gb. So for me, it will be $30 month. 4gb would be $60.

However, you have to use one of their phones, which are very expensive.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:21 PM

2,474 posts, read 908,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gosh I even bolted the word some and it was still missed!

Time to get rid of the old plan. As a public service I went to the att site and you can get an unlimited talk and text plan for $30 a month. No more getting pissed off when someone texts you. Call 611 on your cell phone and make the change!
I'll look into that. Does it include unlimited long-distance? I suppose I can let people text but I will not text back. I HATE punching msgs on phones.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 AM

4,769 posts, read 5,446,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I'll look into that. Does it include unlimited long-distance? I suppose I can let people text but I will not text back. I HATE punching msgs on phones.
Yes, the concept of local vs long distance is fading if not gone completely. It might also include unlimited international calling from the US. My Verizon plan does.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:35 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,215,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I've had the plan for almost two years, it is a prepaid plan with unlimited talk/text/data. Not sure about anything being grandfathered in because a friend called our local Verizon store and was quoted the $30 rate.
I'm in NYC and I was offered the $30. rate too but I wasn't crazy about the prepaid business. We have cell service with them now and I would rather have it added to our bill but they can't do that for some reason.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 AM

10,391 posts, read 9,403,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I'm in NYC and I was offered the $30. rate too but I wasn't crazy about the prepaid business. We have cell service with them now and I would rather have it added to our bill but they can't do that for some reason.
I understand your concerns. I just figured that I'd be paying my phone bill monthly one way or the other. All I have to do is go to their site and upload the funds from my credit card.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:54 AM

13,981 posts, read 7,452,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
OP, it's an interesting deal, being for 55+ people with unlimited data. For me, my concern with all company plans is their coverage, as I find it very annoying to be out and have my phone not work. I'm thinking of going with google fi which automatically switches between Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular depending upon the strength of signal. I do wish it used Verizon too, but you can't have everything.

It's $20 for unlimited talk/text and $10 per gb. So for me, it will be $30 month. 4gb would be $60.

However, you have to use one of their phones, which are very expensive.
This

In my travel pattern, Sprint and T-Mobile have sketchy coverage. I pay considerably more for a Verizon unlimited data plan but that's by far the best cellular coverage in my travel pattern.

Smartphones are only expensive if you need to have the cool recent release phone. A 2 year old model still works perfectly well.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:44 PM

^No argument there. I have a $75 dollar smart phone now, but I do use apps, and I find now, after 2 years (despite cleaning/wiping cache several times a week) the phone is getting fuller and fuller and I'll soon have to either remove a lot (which I don't want to do) or get a phone with more memory.

Once in my life I had the "cool" phone. I'm ready to treat myself again, for many reasons, not the least of which is I want mega data, and a video camera that can last through x-mas morning with the grandchild. . I also want to again be able to use my favorite app (that requires some systems I don't now have...gyroscope? other things? not sure, I just can't run it): google sky (just point the phone at the sky and you have a live view of the night sky above you, and can identify constellations, etc. as you move the phone. I might go with an iphone (which has a different, similar app), since my car is geared towards it. But then I'd couldn't use google fi for $30. Doubt I could find unlimited calls/texts & 10gb plan on the iphone.

Sorry for the digression of the on-my-mind shopping research.

If I were going low, the Ops idea might work for me. But frankly, nothing I've ever had has beat Verizon for coverage.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 16 days ago)

5,624 posts, read 6,706,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Not sure why people above are commenting on their own experience using a TracFone limited data service. That has absolutely no relevance to the OP. The OP is describing an excellent deal for people who have a desire or a need for unlimited data (or at least several gigs) at a very reasonable price. Obviously people who don't need or want such data can get cheaper deals with a pay-as-you-go plan. But again, you're not the audience for the OP.

I take it that is something that you've been grandfathered into because afaik, Verizon has no such plan available for anywhere close to that price at this point in time. In fact, I just checked their website, and they are advertising unlimited data for $80 for one line, and that is with a $5 discount for autopay.
That Verizon $30 prepaid price is just for unlimited talk and text. No data unless you use your own Wi-Fi! They've since eliminated that plan. The cheapest is the $40 prepaid plan with 2 GB of data.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Thanks for the info OP . . .for me though, I'll stay with the Verizon unlimited talk/text/data for $30/mo.
Katie: can you confirm unlimited data? This is unheard of at that price. Talk/text, yes. But you're not using wi-fi? Have you ever tried to watch several movies on your phone?

I once knew someone who said the same thing, but I didn't believe it then, and she was tech savvy, so I assumed she wasn't using that much data. She said she was "grandfathered" in, and insisted she had unlimited data.

I'd like to visit the store you got that from, if you're certain you can watch several videos on your phone without overage fees. That would rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement