Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,228 times

Advertisements

For those of you who use smart phone with limited data:

I just got the new "T Mobile One 55 +" plan. The details are:

Starting August 9, if you are age 55 and over, T-Mobile wants to hand you a special T-Mobile ONE unlimited deal that us young pups can’t touch. For just $60, under a special T-Mobile One Unlimited 55+ plan, you can get two lines of unlimited data, including taxes and fees.

At $60 for two lines with this 55+ plan, you get unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE data not only in the US, but in Mexico and Canada too. You also get free in-flight GoGo texting and data while traveling and unlimited 3G tethering.

In order to get the $60 price, you do need to sign-up for autopay. Also, if you are a current T-Mobile customer, you won’t be automatically enrolled once you hit 55. Instead, you’ll need to contact T-Mobile and make the switch.

If you use alot of data on the go, this is a pretty good deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:25 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,665,222 times
To me this is just "okay". I'm on Tracfone pay as you go (AT&T Coverage). For 2 phones we are averaging about $29 a month. We don't have unlimited anything. We pay in advance for what we use. While we don't do much video streaming we never hesitate to jump on web to look things up at any time.

Another factor in favor of T-Mobile if this is your thing, is that you can get the MLB-TV baseball package (every game except your local team) for free if you are T-Mobile customer.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:00 AM

215 posts, read 258,723 times
We also use Tracfone at $20 a month for two on Verizon. Pay for the year and we are done. And we have Ooma for a home phone just because I still like to have multiple handsets throughout the house. I hate talking on a cell phone and trying to keep it nearby.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Thanks for the info OP . . .for me though, I'll stay with the Verizon unlimited talk/text/data for $30/mo.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:26 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Not sure why people above are commenting on their own experience using a TracFone limited data service. That has absolutely no relevance to the OP. The OP is describing an excellent deal for people who have a desire or a need for unlimited data (or at least several gigs) at a very reasonable price. Obviously people who don't need or want such data can get cheaper deals with a pay-as-you-go plan. But again, you're not the audience for the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Thanks for the info OP . . .for me though, I'll stay with the Verizon unlimited talk/text/data for $30/mo.
I take it that is something that you've been grandfathered into because afaik, Verizon has no such plan available for anywhere close to that price at this point in time. In fact, I just checked their website, and they are advertising unlimited data for $80 for one line, and that is with a $5 discount for autopay.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Not sure why people above are commenting on their own experience using a TracFone limited data service. That has absolutely no relevance to the OP. The OP is describing an excellent deal for people who have a desire or a need for unlimited data (or at least several gigs) at a very reasonable price. Obviously people who don't need or want such data can get cheaper deals with a pay-as-you-go plan. But again, you're not the audience for the OP.

I have to agree and my guess is that some of these TracFone people have kept a landline and are paying more than $60 a month for landline service.

Mrs5150 and I both have iPhones and we have no landline. So our total phone bill is just under $85 a month with Verizon. We use a lot of data per month, but only need a 4gig plan, because of home Wifi and public Wifi. I think that senior plan is great except for one thing. T-Mobile's coverage. It's fine in Urban areas, but is poor once you get out of town. T-Mobile doesn't have coverage where I live and I am not that remote. ATT and Verizon work great in my area.

Nice T-Mobile plan and perhaps Verizon will do something similar. Until then I'm OK paying an extra $25 a month for a phone that works.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:47 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
This does sound like a good deal, but just make sure to check your area coverage first. We live about 5 miles from center of downtown Dover, DE (capitol of the state) and we are in a T-Mobile dead zone. Found that out the hard way when we installed a Simplisafe system and it refused to connect to dispatch. They sent me a Verizon replacement cell board and works perfectly. Also had next door neighbors who came from NJ with T-mobile and found this to be a dead zone. But if you can use it, that's great.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 AM

122 posts, read 225,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I have to agree and my guess is that some of these TracFone people have kept a landline and are paying more than $60 a month for landline service
You guessed wrong! With Ooma, the land line is $4.10 per month.

Great service and great price.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
My old AT&T account that I've had for 8 years is $47/month with unlimited long-distance. I very seldom call people but when I do call family I'm usually on the phone for a long time. No text package, as I don't text - at all (can't get some of my friends to understand that, then I get mad because I'm paying for the damn mgs).

Old 08-17-2017, 04:29 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I take it that is something that you've been grandfathered into because afaik, Verizon has no such plan available for anywhere close to that price at this point in time. In fact, I just checked their website, and they are advertising unlimited data for $80 for one line, and that is with a $5 discount for autopay.
I've had the plan for almost two years, it is a prepaid plan with unlimited talk/text/data. Not sure about anything being grandfathered in because a friend called our local Verizon store and was quoted the $30 rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement