U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 04:07 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In this modern world, divorced women without children do not get alimony!! (except in rare cases)

And divorced women without children do not get child support!

(and we're talking about the elderly without children in this topic of Elder Orphans (except maybe those who are estranged); and elderly do not get child support either)
Chill. PriscillaVanilla said, "Divorced women get alimony, child support or half the marital assets."

I don't see how that's so awful. And some women do get spousal support, regardless of what you believe. Some men get it too when their ex-wife is the higher earner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:19 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Chill. PriscillaVanilla said, "Divorced women get alimony, child support or half the marital assets."

I don't see how that's so awful. And some women do get spousal support, regardless of what you believe. Some men get it too when their ex-wife is the higher earner.
I've never heard of a divorced woman getting alimony in this day and age. A divorced woman would just keep on working or if she were a stay-at-home, she'd get a job. A divorced, disabled woman might get some alimony or maybe she would go on disability--I don't know.

You do divide the assets in a divorce though. When I was divorced, we split the house and contents. It can get messy but that's what happens.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:47 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Funny enough, but as a woman, I don't believe in alimony. Marriage shouldn't affect women and their decisions concerning their entire life's financial matters.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:48 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,440,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Funny enough, but as a woman, I don't believe in alimony. Marriage shouldn't affect women and their decisions concerning their entire life's financial matters.
I agree. (as a woman) I am strongly against alimony!

Last edited by matisse12; 08-20-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 05:05 PM

12,180 posts, read 6,935,590 times
I had a relative who was an "elder orphan". He had alienated all his family members over the years, immediate and extended. He befriended an employee/acquaintance who promised to be there for him in exchange for being the sole heir of his substantial estate upon his death. The arrangement worked out well for all concerned.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-20-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,438 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've never heard of a divorced woman getting alimony in this day and age. .
Lots of women get alimony, these days it's mostly temporary alimony (in most states). And some men get alimony too. I personally know a woman who has gotten alimony from two of her ex-husbands. She hasn't worked in many years and lives off alimony payments.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't believe in alimony either. I think it should be abolished. Some women can still get awarded lifetime alimony, the man has to keep paying even if he becomes sick, disabled or has another family with small children to care for. And his ex-wife never has to go back to work. He has to keep paying her until he dies.

So it's no surprise that lots of men these days are not wanting to marry anymore. Why should they? The system is stacked against them. If they wind up marrying the wrong person, and they live in the wrong state (lifetime alimony state), they're gonna pay for it for the rest of their life.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:41 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,440,673 times
It's difficult to find statistics on alimony. (since it does vary by state) I did find the following, though definitely not the best authoritative sources, by any means:

"Contrary to what many people believe, alimony is awarded in only about 15 percent of all divorces, according to Gayle Rosenwald Smith, a Philadelphia lawyer who specializes in marriage and family law."

"Alimony awards have always been very rare, going from about 25% of cases in the 1960s to about 10% today, said Judith McMullen, a professor of law at Marquette University. In one study of Wisconsin cases, she found it was only 8.6%."

And then according to the most recent U.S. Census, 450,000 were receiving alimony.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-20-2017 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 07:12 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,851,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
This is exactly what people were complaining about. We are talking about elder orphans and you bring up people whose children have moved! Those children can get on a plane or write a check in an emergency. It is not the same as being an elder orphan!
Most probably don't have kids who can just write a check or hop on a plane at the drop of a hat. These seniors IMO should have moved closer to their family instead of complaining. I mean it's no secret that we will get old and need to plan.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Most probably don't have kids who can just write a check or hop on a plane at the drop of a hat. These seniors IMO should have moved closer to their family instead of complaining. I mean it's no secret that we will get old and need to plan.
Yes, they could have chosen to live closer to their adult children if it was truly a concern for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement