U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 10:35 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,977,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I had a relative who was an "elder orphan". He had alienated all his family members over the years, immediate and extended. He befriended an employee/acquaintance who promised to be there for him in exchange for being the sole heir of his substantial estate upon his death. The arrangement worked out well for all concerned.
That can work out well if you're at least somewhat affluent, and I'm referring to instances in which a companion/assistant makes a salary, not necessarily inheriting anything. I've known two older men, well into their 90s who had paid full-time personal assistants/ companions. Both of them did quite extensive travelling with their companions, cruises etc. I'd be happy to be someone's full-time paid companion, with a salary and room and board in a nice house, or traveling the world. I'm not sure how to advertise for that. lol I live near Palm Beach so there must be some affluent older people there who could use some help. I don't think these people peruse Craig's List though...

I also knew a man who lived in the modest condo complex at which I used to live. Out of the kindness of his heart he befriended an "elder orphan", a woman who needed some help. Unbeknownst to him, she was quite wealthy, and when she died left him a sizable fortune. He immediately moved to some luxurious condos downtown. And I don't think he befriended her on purpose to get her fortune. He was a very humble former Art teacher, not at all some sleazy guy trying to take advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:43 PM

5,209 posts, read 2,081,960 times
See, these stories are interesting... we never know. Different events occur for everyone, whether it is destined "Karmically" or what. There are no set situations or circumstances, just as everyone goes through life having different sorts of relationships, opportunities, stable employment or not, changes and unexpected occurrences or outcomes. Not everyone is identical, has the same capacity to achieve or attain, having different personalities, health issues. Some unfortunately do not know what they will be able to do, having ended up with little or no emotional or financial support, which is what I thought this topic was designed for.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 08-20-2017 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: More.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:14 AM

6,800 posts, read 3,862,667 times
One thing that a relative of mine did was buy an older mobile home in a senior park. The other residents were also very low income, but they were good companionship and helped each other as much as they could. They brought food when she was sick, and one even took her to the Dr. I think people help each other out quite a bit in many senior living situations. I do wonder what trustworthy help there is when one needs help paying bills or with other financial tasks.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:32 AM

356 posts, read 137,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
This is something that I worry about now and I'm in my 30s. I find the thought of getting old and not being able to take care of myself anymore to be absolutely terrifying.
Same. I just turned 30 and this is one of the reasons why I'm looking to marry and have children.

I don't want to be old without a support system.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:09 AM

11,127 posts, read 8,537,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Same. I just turned 30 and this is one of the reasons why I'm looking to marry and have children.

Really? What's the big deal? Take care of your finances and your health. Make provisions for the things you can anticipate.

I don't know why people are afraid when you have time to prepare.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:13 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, they could have chosen to live closer to their adult children if it was truly a concern for them.
Many people are simply unwilling to admit when and if they need help. Many do not deal with things preemptively and then it comes to a head in a crisis.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,387,974 times
I find it hilarious -- and a little sad -- that so many assume that because they have family, all will be well. You're still going to get old, you're still going to get sick, you're still going to die. We all are... Family won't prevent that, and -- nine times out of ten -- family isn't going to interrupt their own lives to provide nursing-home level care for you in the comfort of your own home (although I did for mine, I doubt if anyone will for me). Live and enjoy your life now and quit worrying; none of us will get out of this alive anyway!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:10 AM

1,924 posts, read 988,935 times
Quote:

I think you should be required to reveal that on the first date...... or before. Maybe just talk about it a lot

Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM

7,980 posts, read 11,659,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Perhaps I'm missing a bit of context here. I am single, no children. I've known for decades that I will retire alone. I am not an orphan. I'm not sad or afraid. I'm making the necessary arrangements.

Were these "orphans" not expecting to be alone?
I'm curious what these arrangements are.

Should you be found dead in your dwelling - who does the mortuary call?

Should you be found unconscious in your dwelling - who do the emergency services call?

Should you need need some sort of care that you are unable to completely manage (finding, hiring, paying for) temporarily or permanently - who is going to take care of that for you?

Who picks you up after surgery? Stays with you for the mandatory 24 hours?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 10 days ago)

9,515 posts, read 3,649,616 times
Quote:

I think it's a good idea to think about it now while you are still young. If that is important to you. I know a man who didn't marry until he was 56 years old. And it was only because he started getting scared about growing old with no one to take care of him. He married a woman close to his own age. Most young women I know won't date men in their 50s. Although for years, he had been the town Casanova. I had gone out with him a couple of times, years ago. He was a jerk for sure. I saw his wedding registry online a while back and found out he was getting married.

The only thing is, you need to make sure your marriage will last and maintain good relationships with your children so that they'll be around as a support system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement