U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 11:20 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,389,547 times

Advertisements

I agree it would "solve the problem," but I think it's also potentially a slippery slope; just my opinion. Even in other countries (and states), they won't "inject you" but help you to do the deed yourself. However, if you get to the point where you're enrolled in a hospice, simply say you have pain; you'll get all kinds of morphine. It's called the "double effect."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 11:23 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I only want someone to help me die when I can no longer care for myself. It's a much simpler request than requiring someone to help me out indefinitely until I succumb to whatever fate has in store for me.
Assisted suicide/euthanasia is a completely different issue. We're basically operating under the assumption here that the elder orphan wants to continue living.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:35 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 11 days ago)

9,524 posts, read 3,654,679 times
Most childfree people say they love their lifestyle and have no regrets. But here, I am seeing some misgivings amongst certain people or fears that in their old age, they will be alone. Even if they are still healthy enough to care for themselves. No offense, but could it be that the childfree lifestyle isn't that great in the elderly years? It's just a question.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM

I'm childless by choice and have absolutely no regrets. I realize that we all DIE ALONE. Children or no children, spouse or no spouse. That said, I doubt if there's anyone who isn't a little afraid of dying and/or dying "alone"... Again, children or no children, spouse or no spouse. In general, I believe the childfree have a more realistic view of what's coming in their later and final years than do the "childed." I see a lot of parents and grandparents expecting others to populate their lives, and that in general isn't happening in our society today.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 AM

11,129 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Most childfree people say they love their lifestyle and have no regrets. But here, I am seeing some misgivings amongst certain people or fears that in their old age, they will be alone. Even if they are still healthy enough to care for themselves. No offense, but could it be that the childfree lifestyle isn't that great in the elderly years? It's just a question.
I have no fear or apprehension whatsoever about aging alone. I have the financial resources to cover all of my known needs. What else would I need?

Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 AM

189 posts, read 106,742 times
Quote:
It is a tradeoff, no doubt about that. I am married and have two stepchildren, but no children of my own. I'm sure I can't count on them to help if their mother should pass before me, but this is the result of the decision I made many years ago not to have children. Of course, having children is no guarantee of help either!

Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Well, I for one am child free by choice and the majority of my friends all through my life have been the same. None have ever had one moment of regret. We are all in our elderly years. I am not near them because I have moved a long distance away but I've kept in touch and they are all very happily living out their lives some single, some married. None have ever thought about having kids to depend upon as insurance of being taken care of in their old age. Being child-free has nothing to do with that. Being prepared for old age is called planning whether one has children or not.

If people have regretted their decision not having kids, it would be because they thought perhaps they made the wrong decision not to raise a family but I've never heard anyone who was child-free say "I wish I had kids so I would have had someone to take care of me in my old age." If they did, they were deluding themselves.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:57 PM

13,761 posts, read 12,725,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree it would "solve the problem," but I think it's also potentially a slippery slope; just my opinion. Even in other countries (and states), they won't "inject you" but help you to do the deed yourself. However, if you get to the point where you're enrolled in a hospice, simply say you have pain; you'll get all kinds of morphine. It's called the "double effect."
But I'd rather hire someone to kill me than to just give me morphine. I mean, people get abortions and someone helps them do it, but if I say that I want someone to help me abort myself, why is that such a big problem? It shouldn't be.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:05 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,057,486 times
My mother had five children and at the time of her death, they were stepping over each other, bickering and backstabbing, all trying to be the favorite son. She died alone in a hospital bed, even the staff wasn't aware of her passing. One of my brothers found her dead with her mouth open during a morning visit before heading off to work.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:26 PM

Honestly, I think a lot of parents today spoil their children and grandchildren in the hope that they'll "repay" them with their company and assistance when the time comes. What actually happens is that they, in turn, devote themselves to THEIR children and grandchildren (and I mean to to a ridiculous degree). What might be a better so-called investment might be honoring and caring for their own elderly so as to model and promote "caregiving behavior." We have a youth-worshipping society that doesn't have time for the elderly, but I guess that's yet another topic for yet another thread, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement