U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:46 PM

16,368 posts, read 10,358,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It has nothing to do with parents. It is about people with no spouse and no children.
apologies. to me, 'orphan' pertains to loss of parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 12:53 PM

5,798 posts, read 4,851,439 times
Well most people who are "elder" have no living parents, so it would seem that sometimes people can be a bit too literal. Usually I'm the one accused of that crime.

I have never expected that anyone would be there to care for me in old age. I never desired or had any children, and I wouldn't prevail upon them if I did, except to be the executor of my will. I've always been fiercely independent and don't expect that it will ever change.

Having had to deal with MIL's dementia these last 10 years, I can now see that I will probably, at some point, need a fiduciary to deal with my bills etc, if I should start to develop dementia. In that case I would probably have to select a niece or nephew to assist, and I'd make sure they were amply rewarded before and after my passing.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:59 PM

9,703 posts, read 18,891,498 times
Japan has the same problem with lack of elder care and they're starting to use robots. Might be an answer to elders who want to age in place who don't have family support where they live.

If one is looking towards becoming an 'elder orphan' by any definition of the term, making friends with younger people may be the best thing. Many elder folks have spare bedrooms, if they had a younger companion to live with it could be the same as family perhaps. It would also give the younger folks a place to live and something useful to do. If the elder orphan is a tre elder orphan, then the younger caregiver can even inherit and will have a really good reason to become 'family'.

Just because there isn't a family in place, doesn't mean you can't replace them with a new 'family'. This way you get to pick your family, too.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:08 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,220,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I got banned from that group for posting things of a political nature. Because it's considered political now for senior citizens to want to discuss potential cuts to Medicare and Social Security.

And I found it ironic that many, if not most, of the members weren't orphans at all, but had grown children.
Yes, that's political.

HOW is it not? LOL.

Not to mention discussing POTENTIAL cuts? So not real things that are only a big dramatic political ploy and talking points?

Old 08-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
pish

an "orphan" is a child with no parents.

I miss the "women retiring on their own" thread. The current "retiring on a shoestring" thread has good information.

There are many services for the elderly in the rural areas of TN, and I'm guessing other states as well. Me, I want to pick and choose how much I ask the government for help while I'm still able. Many people wait too long. If churches aren't filling in where there is a need, I think the members should be asking themselves why.

I am so glad I don't have anyone interfering in my life. I may feel differently in years to come. I have had to live with the consequences of my decisions all of my life. I don't expect the end will be any different.
Oh I remember that. Years ago.

It got shut down because MEN were complaining about it being for women.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
On a day to day basis, they are effectively orphaned.

Many people aren't going to have significant funds to help. It would be extremely expensive to replicate all the stuff my aunt and I do (for free) with paid help. "On site" family support is essential. You can "come home" for the big things, but again, flying back and forth with regularity is too expensive/cumbersome for most people, especially if they have demanding careers or their own children to take care of in the new location. Both of these are better than nothing and can help in a true crisis but the day to day gist of it is that the elder is mostly alone.
No they are not ORPHANED. Not even CLOSE. Not even in the same BALLPARK.

"Cumbersome"???

"Demanding careers"

LOLOLOL wow.

Maybe you mean selfish, disinterested, ungrateful and/or estranged.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
This is exactly what people were complaining about. We are talking about elder orphans and you bring up people whose children have moved! Those children can get on a plane or write a check in an emergency. It is not the same as being an elder orphan!
Seriously.

But you can talk to the wall.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:20 PM

1,566 posts, read 779,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes, that's political.

HOW is it not? LOL.

Not to mention discussing POTENTIAL cuts? So not real things that are only a big dramatic political ploy and talking points?
But that's precisely when they need to be discussed, so people are aware and actual cuts can be prevented. By the time the cuts are implemented it's too late.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
But that's precisely when they need to be discussed, so people are aware and actual cuts can be prevented. By the time the cuts are implemented it's too late.
What do you mean "BUT"?? Somehow you feel you have to explain to me that I don't understand why SOME PEOPLE might want to focus on politics?

Nah, I think I GOT IT.

You're arguing for political discussion that is PROHIBITED.

So you mean so they can be POLITICALLY ADDRESSED.

I rest my case.

It's up to every website owner to decide if they want the aggravation of politics on their site.

But that's cute you think this is the first time Politicians have tried to scare the crap out of Seniors over "cuts". hahahaha.

More like the past 40 years is like it.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:24 PM

Here's what the article said:

Are you an "elder orphan?" Also called unbefriended adults, they are people aging alone, without kids.

But now, they have a Facebook group with about 5,000 users since it began last year. You have to be 55 or over, live without a spouse and not have children. Or, if you do, they have to either be estranged or live far away.

So yeah, THAT site is for estranged or distant PARENTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement