Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 12:00 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I just don't understand why people have decided that the only preferred way to die is by lethal injection.
I can't speak for others. It's just what I personally would like. We aren't expected to shoot, hang, suffocate, etc. our pets when it's time for them to die, so why should we have to do it to ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 12:22 PM

226 posts, read 214,501 times
I think that assisted suicide should be legal and performed at a hospital. I think that they should ask you to sign a donor's card in return for services rendered and then the moment you are dead they should harvest any useful organs for transplant in those who need it. Let's face it... if someone truly wants to commit suicide they will find a way. At least this way some good can come out of it.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:44 PM

396 posts, read 421,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I just don't understand why people have decided that the only preferred way to die is by lethal injection.
Because believe it or not some people do care about others even though they want to end their own life. Call me crazy but I would think of the person who had to clean my brains off a wall. I'd think of my friends and family left behind who couldn't get one more visit with me because my head was blown from my body.

I once saw a talk show about people who made failed suicide attempts with guns. They had parts of their face blown off and were paralyzed. Freaky stuff. I was a teen when I saw the show but it stayed with me.

I have years of experience working for a vet. I've helped euthanize many an old or sick dog and cat. Euthanasia is the way to go. First they get a strong sedative that puts them unconscious. Then they get the euthansia injection. It's the easiest and most painless way to go. And no body parts blown to pieces.

All of the vet employees agreed that if we could choose the manner of our death this would be it. Now if there is no euthanasia when I'm old then I may have to get creative. Or I may chicken out. But whether I actually kill myself or not, I know if I'm helpless, I'll WANT to die. I know me.

And I'm 100% against euthanisia that could be made by a family member about another family member. I'm for a person deciding they want to kill themselves and they have made this decision when they are of sound mind and body.
Will it make God angry? Let's hope God isn't a being that wants us to suffer long and hard before we die. Maybe God will have some mercy on me. Not to mention how is a quick suicide any different than someone who smokes and just takes a longer time to kill themselves. Killing yourself slowly is ok but quickly isn't?

Old 09-03-2017, 01:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
There is a documentary, "The Right to Die in Oregon", in which some moved there in order to be able to have assisted suicide. It's been a while since I saw it, but there is a process they go through to do so. You might look it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I believe I watched it on Netflix a few years ago. Instead of moving to Oregon, I hope that assisted suicide becomes legal in my state. However, I'd also want to be able to use that option whenever I want and not just when I'm terminally ill.
Yes, in Oregon and also Washington State where it's legal several doctors must declare a patient has a terminal illness in it's last stages before assisted suicide can be done.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post

Call me crazy but I would think of the person who had to clean my brains off a wall. I'd think of my friends and family left behind who couldn't get one more visit with me because my head was blown from my body.
This is an Elder Orphan thread. Elder Orphans do not have any family. (or none that are emotionally close)

And brains are rarely found on a wall.

And one's head is not blown away from the body.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-03-2017 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 02:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Take a sedative or benzo, along with opiates. It's a sure way to die. Think Heath Ledger. Mixing the two causes respiration (breathing) to stop. Drug users die from mixing the two all the time.

Or use Fentanyl patches, too many of them or mix them with other drugs. They are massively stronger than even morphine. Think Prince.

People used to kill themselves with large overdoses of common drugs like aspirin or massive doses of other common drugs.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-03-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 04:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, I in contrast had a wonderful mother and was more than happy to "sacrifice" a few years out of my life to make the end of hers more endurable. I also think it would do young people a world of good to see family caring for the elderly instead of warehousing them in institutions or throwing them away like trash (or, worse, have them feel obligated to check out lest they burden anyone). But different strokes!
I would have given anything to have had more time with Mom. She and I were absolutely joined. I'd go and sit with mom when we'd both be reading and it was all that we needed, just the nearness. Both Dad and I knew she wasn't feeling really good, but not as bad as she must have. Or maybe she was just tired, as it was the only thing she'd complain about. But I'd been sick for years after high school but had had surgery and was doing great, and Dad was doing well.

Mom had felt less than good, like she had a cold. She was very tired, and had a doctors appointment the next day. I had a night class and Dad was getting the evening together with her. She had been in bed most of the day and didn't look good. She said she'd see the doctor early, but she was making something at the stove when she just... How do I describe it? It was like everything which held her together failed. She just crumbled onto the floor.

Dad lost it. I called the emergency, who sent an ambulence. They got there very quickly. She wasn't breathing. They tried for an hour and said she was gone.

Dad just lost it after that. I took refuge in school and trying to start in a job, and grieved so much for mom who was also my best friend and tower of strength. Dad just crumpled. I stayed with him for a couple of years. He could fix food for himself and drive where he needed. He liked when I cooked but he did okay. I had a serious boyfriend, and the stress at home was going to kill my job. Dad wasn't okay with me moving out. My friends were all terrible people. And so on.

Dad moved on his own. I called and wrote but didn't have the money to visit readily. He seemed more and more lost. We were going to see about talking to the doctor when I got a letter from a neighbor saying we needed to come and see about him. So we did. My fiance by then and I tried, but he was in the hospital with untreatable cancer. He hadn't written me about it or even called. When I got there he didn't know who I was. Most of the time, he didn't remember Mom either, but sometimes she was in the other room getting dinner. After his death, we found out the cancer had gotten into his brain.

Sometimes I wished that Dad had left this world the same way mom did, fast and clean. After she died, he didn't want to live. When its my time, I want it end like Mom. No plans to take in a 'roommate' but I'd be okay with that if it helped, especially someone to keep my pets. The worse fate would be to be like Dad.

When I'm old enough to need one, I'd be okay with a roomate who could help when needed. I hate things like hospitals and living by someone else's schedule. I'd rather not even know if it came to it. But my son lives with my dil and her father, and he's brought up the idea of me coming to live with them. I'd do it. Just not yet, but my son would already be willing.

As for 'limitations', I've had to readjust to a whole lot of them in my life, and have come to an understanding with life about that. When I can't manage with things, I won't grieve, especially if family is there and I think will be, and like all of them, there will be something special about it which gives something new.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
The "Elder Orphans: Ageing Without Support" thread has devolved into the "Nobody Loves Me: Might As Well Eat Worms" thread. The problem with shooting off your head is that you might live (in a vegetative state, compounding your misery).

Old 09-04-2017, 06:55 AM

703 posts, read 612,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The "Elder Orphans: Ageing Without Support" thread has devolved into the "Nobody Loves Me: Might As Well Eat Worms" thread. The problem with shooting off your head is that you might live (in a vegetative state, compounding your misery).
Have to look at the bright side. If one is taking such an action they are alone by definition.

Even a .22 at that close range will kill you outright. OK, but maybe your trembling hand slips and you do "miss" and hence don't get killed instantly.

You are all alone and unconscious. There will be no help. No 911. You will bleed out shortly with no one to help you and be unaware that any of this is happening.

I think the fears of "missing" and ending up in a vegetative state are overblown

Old 09-04-2017, 07:07 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Take a sedative or benzo, along with opiates. It's a sure way to die. Think Heath Ledger. Mixing the two causes respiration (breathing) to stop. Drug users die from mixing the two all the time.

Or use Fentanyl patches, too many of them or mix them with other drugs. They are massively stronger than even morphine. Think Prince.

People used to kill themselves with large overdoses of common drugs like aspirin or massive doses of other common drugs.
Really? I've heard dosing is tricky. And let's see, do you KNOW if he actually INTENDED to kill himself that time or was it accidental? And if it was intentional, do you know how many times he had tried and failed? No, I didn't think so. Unless you're in healthcare you could botch this up too but go ahead and be glib about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement