Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

More and more elders are aging without the support of family/spouse. What to do without a support network? This new Facebook group seeks to help. Some good ideas in this post. Worth a read -- and maybe participation?

'Elder Orphans' Facebook Group Creates Community For Adults Aging Alone | Here & Now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
I checked that out about a year ago. At that time most weren't elder orphans. Even the article mentions kids that live far away. That means you are not an elder orphan! No spouse and no kids not far away or estranged or anything else.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I checked that out about a year ago. At that time most weren't elder orphans. Even the article mentions kids that live far away. That means you are not an elder orphan! No spouse and no kids not far away or estranged or anything else.
Exactly my experience. I joined but quit after a few months. I think the final straw was a post by a woman who posted about her very expensive vacation with her friends and sisters. This is more of an elderly social group than anything else. I get the feeling the administrator of the group loves publicity for herself too.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:12 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
I remember looking at that site and I wasn't inclined to get involved.

I'm 73. My only family is a cousin in her 80s in a different state and an aunt in her 90s in a different state. We support each other via phone calls, I guess you could say, but they both have immediate families in their kids with whom they live. I had no kids. I guess I'm an elder orphan, which is kinda funny since I was adopted at (actually before) birth 73 years ago.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:12 PM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
To me, it's the natural progression of life.

By the time an individual is 'elder' they should not be so dependent on parents. Not saying it doesn't hurt to lose them but that's the way it is.

(and Yes, I've lost both of mine.)

Old 08-17-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
To me, it's the natural progression of life.

By the time an individual is 'elder' they should not be so dependent on parents. Not saying it doesn't hurt to lose them but that's the way it is.

(and Yes, I've lost both of mine.)
It has nothing to do with parents. It is about people with no spouse and no children.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It has nothing to do with parents. It is about people with no spouse and no children.
Or other family members either nonexistent or estranged. At least that's how the group was advertised when it first started. But it hasn't turned out that way.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
More and more elders are aging without the support of family/spouse. What to do without a support network? This new Facebook group seeks to help. Some good ideas in this post. Worth a read -- and maybe participation?

'Elder Orphans' Facebook Group Creates Community For Adults Aging Alone | Here & Now
I got banned from that group for posting things of a political nature. Because it's considered political now for senior citizens to want to discuss potential cuts to Medicare and Social Security.

And I found it ironic that many, if not most, of the members weren't orphans at all, but had grown children.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
IMO, this is going to be a much bigger issue than people give it credit for going forward. There will be a growing number of seniors, while maybe not orphaned by this article's definition, that are going to end up marooned in economically unviable areas.

I'm probably among the last generation where small towns and rural areas were economically viable places to live at one point. Many current seniors are retired here and are unwilling/unable to move. Younger Boomers and some Generation X were able to secure good jobs in these areas, but many of their Millennial and younger children have had to move major cities to find decent work.

I foresee a lot of elderly in these areas being unwilling or unable to move closer to their children. The children can't comeback to the hometown to care for them. There is probably going to be quite the cottage industry in these areas for nursing homes, home health aides, "lower end" senior care, etc. There will probably be levels of service that end up being offered that aren't even mainstream offerings yet.

I had this discussion with the grandmother yesterday. She is 81 with mobility issues and we live in our hometown that has a poor economy, but used to be better off. She stays with my aunt about half the time, who is getting laid off soon at 56 years old. My employer is potentially merging with another company over the next month, which leaves my job shaky as well. At 81, having lived in the same house since 1967, and not having lived in another town since my grandfather's military service during the Korean War era, she's not going to be willing to move.

What are elderly folks like that going to do when they get up in years, and the younger family members have to move to keep themselves afloat? For her and many others, there aren't many options. Depending on their health, they may be able to stay in their homes with some adaptation to the space and some level of care. Many others will have to go to an ALF. Many of these seniors are going to end up effectively orphaned in small towns and rural areas that don't have a lot going for them.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post

And I found it ironic that many, if not most, of the members weren't orphans at all, but had grown children.
That's what I found there too. I got into a few arguments about that. I am sure I would have been banned if I didn't leave on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement