Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 08:57 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The only thing is, you need to make sure your marriage will last and maintain good relationships with your children so that they'll be around as a support system.
I'm sure his children will be thrilled to discover that were created so that they could care for him when he was unable to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 09:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Only one of many selfish reasons people have children (and people call the childless-by-choice "selfish"), but they might be in for a rude awakening. Likewise getting married to have a support system; plenty of confirmed bachelors suddenly decide to tie the knot when they get that first worrisome PSA number! However, spouses die and divorce; **** happens.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:12 AM

"The only thing is, you need to make sure your marriage will last and maintain good relationships with your children so that they'll be around as a support system."

I'm genuinely curious what level of "support" people are expecting from their families... Can you specify what, precisely, you think they'll actually be doing for you?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm curious what these arrangements are.

Should you be found dead in your dwelling - who does the mortuary call?

Should you be found unconscious in your dwelling - who do the emergency services call?

Should you need need some sort of care that you are unable to completely manage (finding, hiring, paying for) temporarily or permanently - who is going to take care of that for you?

Who picks you up after surgery? Stays with you for the mandatory 24 hours?
1. If I'm dead, I don't care what happens to my body.
2. If I'm found unconscious, I would be taken to get medical assistance. No one else needs to be notified.
3. Most physical & mental decline doesn't happen overnight. I can look into setting up assisted living or nursing home care way before it's needed. I would have savings or LTC. If things start going downhill, I will move to ALF in a heartbeat. I don't care about staying at home.
4. After surgery, one can hire a home health aide to cover the time after surgery.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"The only thing is, you need to make sure your marriage will last and maintain good relationships with your children so that they'll be around as a support system."

I'm genuinely curious what level of "support" people are expecting from their families... Can you specify what, precisely, you think they'll actually be doing for you?
That depends on the person, their situation and their family's situation.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I'm sure his children will be thrilled to discover that were created so that they could care for him when he was unable to do so.
Our purpose in life is to help others. Don't you agree? You don't want to help your elderly parents?

Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
The nicer thing to do would be to just kill yourself before you become elderly instead of bringing a child into the world just because you don't want to grow old and alone. What if that child ends up growing old and alone? Oh well, sucks to be them! At least YOU got taken care of, right?
Don't people marry so they won't be alone? The same could be said for the childfree people who marry. They're selfish because they are using another person so they won't be alone in their old age.
So they'll have someone to help them when they are old.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
Don't people marry so they won't be alone? The same could be said for the childfree people who marry. They're selfish because they are using another person so they won't be alone in their old age.

Every time I married, I was thinking about my current state of happiness. Never married for future security. And certainly didn't have children with an eye to having a future caretaker.

All that is behind me now and I am happy to be the in control of my own future...... so far

Old 08-21-2017, 03:15 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Sure they do. But marrying someone who already exists isn't the same thing as choosing to bring another life into this world. Besides, I don't think of marriage as any kind of guarantee that you'll have someone around because that person will be old too...or dead by the time you need them.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:14 PM

The amount of hubris (assumption-making) surrounding this subject is astounding. You have no guarantee of anything with anyone. Rely on yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement