Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 01:29 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
But I'd rather hire someone to kill me than to just give me morphine. I mean, people get abortions and someone helps them do it, but if I say that I want someone to help me abort myself, why is that such a big problem? It shouldn't be.
By "double effect," I mean enough morphine to kill the pain which (indirectly) also kills you by rendering you unconscious. If you're not awake, you can't drink, and you die of dehydration within a few days. Don't worry about it; like birth, sex, and a lot of other things, I think we all figure out how to do it when the time comes. Focus on enjoying life, would be my advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 01:36 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
By "double effect," I mean enough morphine to kill the pain which (indirectly) also kills you by rendering you unconscious. If you're not awake, you can't drink, and you die of dehydration within a few days. Don't worry about it; like birth, sex, and a lot of other things, I think we all figure out how to do it when the time comes. Focus on enjoying life, would be my advice.
That sounds easy enough but none of my grandparents died that way. They were all in their homes in various states of pain, discomfort, and helplessness being cared for by their children until they died. I wouldn't want to die that way even if I did have children. Hopefully one of these days, the powers that be will get on board with my ideas, but I'll try to stop worrying about it for now.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
But I'd rather hire someone to kill me than to just give me morphine. I mean, people get abortions and someone helps them do it, but if I say that I want someone to help me abort myself, why is that such a big problem? It shouldn't be.
Why can't you do it yourself? Hire a hit man.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why can't you do it yourself? Hire a hit man.
I don't think I should have to go through illegal means to do it. I do pride myself on being a law-abiding citizen.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Same. I just turned 30 and this is one of the reasons why I'm looking to marry and have children.

I don't want to be old without a support system.
Don't assume having children means you'll have a support system. They're not required to take care of you when you're old or ill. They will have their own lives and families. They may grow up and live on the other side of the country.

You're far better off coming up with a plan and discussing it with a wills & trusts attorney. Get it in writing! Figure out who to give POA to for a variety of things. Come up with a plan for pets, etc.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Our purpose in life is to help others. Don't you agree? You don't want to help your elderly parents?
I don't agree with any of this. People need to help themselves. People need to have personal responsibility.

I will NOT be taking care of my parents. They already know this. I will not pay for them. I will not provide housing to them. I will not do anything for them. I grew up in a VERY abusive home. I have siblings that they didn't abuse. Let them take care of them. Or better yet, figure out their own plan and figure it out like other people do.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Don't people marry so they won't be alone? The same could be said for the childfree people who marry. They're selfish because they are using another person so they won't be alone in their old age.
So they'll have someone to help them when they are old.
No, I did not marry my husband so I wouldn't be alone! I married him because I love him and wanted to build a life with him. We're not using each other so we won't be alone in old age. Heck, no one knows when they get married if it will last! Who says we're going to help each other in old age? There are plenty of people who can't help someone in their old age due to a variety of reasons.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:58 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
My two best friends and I are unmarried and don't have kids - I'm an only child and my friends are not close with their siblings at all. We're in our 40s and that stuff is unlikely to change. Ironically, all three of us are heavily involved in the care of our elderly parents, and we're currently discussing how we will handle retirement based on those experiences. I will move back to my home state after I retire most likely to be with them and the rest of my social circle there - we are discussing moving into a house together or buying properties close to each other.

I know some people feel anxiety about growing old alone, but it's not something that tends to worry us. We are each diligently saving for retirement and building support networks for that eventuality.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Why on earth is everyone giving this guy grief over wanting to get married and have kids so he isn't alone? That is why people get married! Its perfectly normal and common.
No, many people do not get married to have children. I don't know anyone who got married specifically so they could have children. You don't need to be married to have children.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:03 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
That sounds easy enough but none of my grandparents died that way. They were all in their homes in various states of pain, discomfort, and helplessness being cared for by their children until they died. I wouldn't want to die that way even if I did have children. Hopefully one of these days, the powers that be will get on board with my ideas, but I'll try to stop worrying about it for now.
But at least they weren't...ALONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement