U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:59 PM

39,322 posts, read 20,396,556 times

Advertisements

I've been pretty fortunate health wise but now that I'm getting older I wonder, how do you organize your healthcare records. I was just at the doctor (new) and they asked me when this and that but I couldn't even give an estimated time. Along time ago I saw an older couple who used those binder plastic to put each paper that came in but that seems like too much work. idea's?

I've been contributing to my HSA for along time and built up a nice amount but when I have medical expenses I don't draw. I've read that should I need money for some reason I can match the medical dollar amount for previous years and draw that amount tax free (although I hope that does not become the case).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 03:52 AM

10,138 posts, read 12,400,312 times
In my opinion the big question is when do you turn 65 so you can sign up for Medicare benefits?

My wife and I have enjoyed Medicare for over 3 years now and have discovered there's nothing to keep track of. Like everyone else we pay for Part B coverage every month and we each have a Plan G as our supplement. The only thing planned G does not pay for is the annual part B deductible and coinsurance which is $183 per year. That's it, once we pay the $183 we are done with out-of-pocket expenses for the year not counting Dental and Pharmaceutical.

For Pharmaceutical we have silverscript Plan D which leaves as pain approximately $60 a month for out of pocket pharmaceuticals and most of that is for one pill but I take.

Dental can be the big surprise and we do carry a good dental policy but if you have something big happen, why could crown, even with a good policy you could end up paying six or seven hundred dollars for dental over the course of a year.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:12 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,262,186 times
Petch,

I carry a notebook (one for my husband, and one for me) to the doctor each time one of us goes. On a separate page I put the date, the time, the doctor's name. I then write down weight, blood pressure, O2, pulse, and anything the doctor has to say. If we get a test I ask that the results be put in the portal and I print out copies for each doctor that may need it. I write the name of the doctor on top of the test results that I want to give it to. Then I put it in the notebook. When I am at that doctor I give him the test result pages which his name on them. That way I am sure he has all test results that he needs.

I also keep an updated page of the medications (name of medication, strength (i.e. mg), dosage (i.e 1 tablet), and how often we take it (ie daily, twice daily, weekly), and doctor that prescribed it).

We each take in our separate note book. When we are at the doctor I hand them the list of medications for their records.

This does a number of things: it lets me research quickly when something was done, it assures that all doctors have current test results, it makes sure that all doctors have current medications on record, it lets them know that I am taking notes so they tend to be more attentive to our concerns, and it lets me review what the doctor said so that I don't forget things.

Edited to add: I also keep a file folder filled with tax information that I gather throughout the year. I put paid medical bills in there.... not that we ever able to use them due to the high medical floor on Schedule A.

Last edited by LookingatFL; 08-18-2017 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: To add information

Old 08-18-2017, 09:50 AM

6,307 posts, read 4,755,565 times
Medical records are now available electronically from almost every provider. Trying to maintain paper Giles is obsolete. Merely download and back up electronic files.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 AM

13,278 posts, read 6,362,704 times
I only keep blood work paper so I can compare year two year. I still have one from 20 years ago, that's how I know his cholesterol numbers have not gone up, it went down slightly.
I put paid medical bills in one big folder where I keep everything else. I keep 10 years of these. I purge older folders occasionally. But I go through them carefully to keep things I want to keep.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,140,736 times
It your legal right to receive a copy of all medical records and lab tests,etc. These are dated and a folder set up by date and cross reference to specific medical condition.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM

5,055 posts, read 6,032,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Medical records are now available electronically from almost every provider. Trying to maintain paper files is obsolete. Merely download and back up electronic files.
Bad idea! Most people who don't regularly work with electronic files haven't a clue how to maintain them so they aren't lost and can be read on a variety of systems and formats. For example, I had txt files on a thumb drive that couldn't be read, so I had to make all paper copies anyway. I would've switched providers, but I'm in Iowa and somewhat limited to my in-network options.

I now do both: I have a notebook for providers who aren't totally electronic and a thumb drive.

I'm not putting anything in the cloud! It's not private.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:44 AM

31,729 posts, read 20,017,197 times
Why do you keep records? My doctor keeps my records and I ask for a copy of my file if I'm going to change doctors. I ask for a copy of my labs to be sent to my house just because I feel better being able to compare, DH has online access to his.

I once needed an xray from 5 years earlier, and I just called the hospital and got a copy.

I'm curious because I think medical is a little different here, but we will be moving in 3 years. Medical is part of DH's pension, so we won't need to change providers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-18-2017, 11:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 1,676,474 times
In a perfect world, your doctor should have all your records. Since it isn't a perfect world, you need to be responsible for at least a miniumum of things: past surgeries and dates, current medications, allergies and any implants or conditions they should be aware of.

I took medical histories on patients for diagnostic imaging and some people are so unknowledgeable about their own conditions or felt like I was asking questions that were none of my business.

"Why are you asking this? My doctor has all this, he would have told you if you needed to know".

"I don't know what meds I take, but my husband/wife does. No, he/she isn't with me now."

"Yes, I have an implant, I don't remember what kind, when it was done or the doctors name that put it in".

We called their doctor's offices to get information, which worked if the office was open, but that made extra, unnecessary work for the doctors offices. Sometimes we were not in the "circle of care" locally to their doctor and we would have to fax a signed consent for a release of information.

I did MRI/CT scans. People got rescheduled if we couldn't get in touch with their doctor/office to get information on meds the patient was taking. Some were contraindicated with contrast materials we injected for CT scans. No one was going into our MR unless we knew exactly what was in their body and when it was put there and model numbers were needed sometimes.

We weren't being obstructionists, just trying not to kill anyone and wanted people to get good patient care. Going home without the test done didn't make anyone happy. Have your own medical information, typed or written on a piece of paper or on your phone available when you see different doctors or go in for tests. Don't count on anyone other than yourself having that information.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-18-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 11:37 AM

31,729 posts, read 20,017,197 times
Of course I would know all that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement