U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 06:46 AM

156 posts, read 110,754 times

Advertisements

If you have enough (whatever amount that is?) money I'm sure there'll be a way to retire in most countries. For example New Zealand requires a minimum investment of about USD550 000 and Australia has requirements based on where you'll live.

However on the cheaper side the Philippines also has a Retirement program with a number of options. As do Belize and Nicaragua.

However every country has its own varying levels of bureaucratic sludge that you'll be required to patiently trudge your way through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 08:06 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,673,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saengseon View Post
Thailand has retirement visa over age 50. Cambodia has a "business" license which is $300 a year and gets you an open one year visa. Malaysia has retirement visa as well, a bit on the expensive site.

The 10 year visa for Thailand is transferable. You can sell it.
Don't you have to pay for this? Like 5 or 10,000 dollars?

Old 08-19-2017, 08:10 AM

8,208 posts, read 11,927,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
If you have enough (whatever amount that is?) money I'm sure there'll be a way to retire in most countries. For example New Zealand requires a minimum investment of about USD550000 and Australia has requirements based on where you'll live.
New Zealand's requirement's are much more involved than that. You need to invest NZ$750,000 (USD$550,000 as you said), but then you also need to show that you have another NZ$500,000 to live on, plus an annual income of NZ$60,000. You also need to maintain your own health insurance. Moreover, this retirement visa is only for a temporary two-year period (which is renewable) and it is only for people over the age of 65. My wife and I actually looked into this after our month-long visit to NZ a couple of years ago, but found we didn't qualify due to the age restriction.

Here's the official info from the government's own website:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...t-visitor-visa

Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 AM

779 posts, read 525,443 times
Patmil.

Canada does not have a retirement visa program, but US citizens can VISIT Canada for up to 180 days at a time. The actual rule is.........up to 180 days IN Canada then 180 days OUT of Canada. That is exactly the same rule that Canadians who visit the USA have to obey. Some US citizens own properties in Canada, but that does not confer residency status.

US visitors to Canada may not work, attend any type of school , or make use of any social service here. Visitors are strongly advised to purchase travel medical insurance before arriving in Canada for an extended stay.

XXX.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:17 PM

9,893 posts, read 3,282,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Does anyone know if there is a website that lists countries around the world that offer a retirement visa and what the requirements are? Before I go researching every country individually, I figured I'd ask if this work had already been done for me. Even within just the EU, I know it ranges from countries that do not offer a retirement visa to something that require you be over a certain age with a certain income to some that do not care about your age as long as you have sufficient support.

Thanks!

there are a bunch of sites that give you a good guide, but go the the Gov sites for the countries you think might work, they are the real source. many accept folk based on monies and little else. a lot of western countries require the average person to also change status after a set amount of time... but there are ways around for those with money and willing to figure it out. investment is the primary tool to skirt all the rules.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:42 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,020,756 times
With the digital age major countries now can track your coming and goings. In Canada, for instance, you have a residency formula to keep your medical and senior benefits current. Even in the USA you're leaving will affect your claiming of Obamacare (actually, imo Kennedy care) so you just don't "waltz" up to the border every six months, and then go back with impunity.

Belize, as an example, pulls LARGE. AT last look you need 5,000 US cash flow monthly from pensions. That's pretty steep.
I'd decide on what country you really want to go to and focus directly on that destination, and see what written agreements exist between that country and your home.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:46 PM

2,850 posts, read 3,941,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
First off I have to speak up. They are not offering anything. Every country has immigration rules. Some are more restrictive than others. The more restrictive the longer it takes to get a permanent residency visa and the more money required. With enough time and money you could even emigrate to Russia and China.

The real key and the point you should be asking is what countries have easier requirements to show to get a residency visa in retirement? That question asked in Google came up with several sites. I picked one of the links here.

The World's 7 Most Retiree-Friendly Nations | HuffPost

Belize
Columbia
Ecuador
Malaysia
Nicaragua
Panama
Thailand
Puffpost, as usual, is putting out useless and mostly false or outdated information. Malaysia is NOT a retiree-friendly nation. I lived there for 17 years and investigated their Malaysia My Second Home program very thoroughly. They kept raising income requirements and forcing retirees to buy the most expensive houses (which are poorly constructed) at the request of politically-connected real estate developers. There are no advantages to being a retiree there and several other countries are much more attractive in many ways.

Also, the current prime minister -Najib Razak- is the linchpin of the largest embezzlement scheme in world history. He has robbed from his fellow Malays (and Muslims) and doesn't blink in ripping off foreigners living there. There are also disappearances of non-Muslims who are seen to be a threat to the government. (They don't usually disappear Muslims for religious reasons.)

Scratch Malaysia off the Puffpost list. Probably Thailand also. Based upon info provided earlier in this thread, Ecuador and Peru still sound like good deals.

BTW, Colombia is not spelled Columbia.

Last edited by Teak; 08-19-2017 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
New Zealand's requirement's are much more involved than that. You need to invest NZ$750,000 (USD$550,000 as you said), but then you also need to show that you have another NZ$500,000 to live on, plus an annual income of NZ$60,000. You also need to maintain your own health insurance. Moreover, this retirement visa is only for a temporary two-year period (which is renewable) and it is only for people over the age of 65. My wife and I actually looked into this after our month-long visit to NZ a couple of years ago, but found we didn't qualify due to the age restriction.

Here's the official info from the government's own website:

I was just indicating the magnitude of some of the hurdles - all countries have varying degrees of requirements (constantly being enhanced by the "bureaucratic sludge" and political agendas) for all kinds of visas.

But in most cases if you have enough money you can live or retire anywhere.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Patmil.

Canada does not have a retirement visa program, but US citizens can VISIT Canada for up to 180 days at a time. The actual rule is.........up to 180 days IN Canada then 180 days OUT of Canada. That is exactly the same rule that Canadians who visit the USA have to obey. Some US citizens own properties in Canada, but that does not confer residency status.

US visitors to Canada may not work, attend any type of school , or make use of any social service here. Visitors are strongly advised to purchase travel medical insurance before arriving in Canada for an extended stay.

XXX.
Although they don't have a retirement visa from what I understand if you have enough money there are various business schemes that would permit you to live in Canada.

Canada seems to be one of the ultimate examples of visa "bureaucratic sludge" - pages and pages of various programs divided into categories and then even subdivided into regions [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-20-2017, 04:40 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,855,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Puffpost, as usual, is putting out useless and mostly false or outdated information. Malaysia is NOT a retiree-friendly nation. I lived there for 17 years and investigated their Malaysia My Second Home program very thoroughly. They kept raising income requirements and forcing retirees to buy the most expensive houses (which are poorly constructed) at the request of politically-connected real estate developers. There are no advantages to being a retiree there and several other countries are much more attractive in many ways.

Also, the current prime minister -Najib Razak- is the linchpin of the largest embezzlement scheme in world history. He has robbed from his fellow Malays (and Muslims) and doesn't blink in ripping off foreigners living there. There are also disappearances of non-Muslims who are seen to be a threat to the government. (They don't usually disappear Muslims for religious reasons.)

Scratch Malaysia off the Puffpost list. Probably Thailand also. Based upon info provided earlier in this thread, Ecuador and Peru still sound like good deals.

BTW, Colombia is not spelled Columbia.
Point made and taken, thanks for clearing that. I just went through the list in the order without regard to the actual feasibility. No mention back on spelling. It happens. I am no genius.

I would have put my two cents in and both of those countries you mention Malaysia and Thailand would not have attracted my attention knowing all the troubles they have had over the years.

Add in one or two Central American countries and say the Philippines, Laos, maybe Vietnam and then you can whittle it down from there. I don't know if I actually want to emigrate permanently to another country. I might want to live there long term but I would still be traveling in an out of there on a regular basis to either visit family or find a new golf course to leave a divot in.

Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or