U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:08 AM

2,845 posts, read 3,934,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Add in one or two Central American countries and say the Philippines, Laos, maybe Vietnam and then you can whittle it down from there. I don't know if I actually want to emigrate permanently to another country. I might want to live there long term but I would still be traveling in an out of there on a regular basis to either visit family or find a new golf course to leave a divot in.

Thanks for the input.
Yeah, after looking into retirement overseas I decided that it was too risky in the long term. Many of those countries are unstable politically and while the current regime may want foreign retirees, the next regime may not. I had significant money tied up in Malaysia and was lucky to get it out before the currency plummeted due to the Najib Razak embezzlement. His regime started out okay, but now he is becoming a dictator and killing off (literally) those that know of his dirty deeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 AM

7,095 posts, read 3,456,394 times
Key factors we considered before moving to Mexico were:
Weather...year round not just seasonal
Culture...one that we knew something about and admired, an easier language to learn
Healthcare...quality, availability, cost/ability to buy insurance or self-insure
Proximity to US....for family visits, non-emergency healthcare, and sometimes to take a break from a foreign culture, as much as we love it here

We are blessed in that money is not a major consideration for us. For others it is a huge factor, as we have many expat friends here who live on a literal shoe-string and many more that live at a much higher standard of living than they could in the US.

Everyone has their own priorities.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:05 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Key factors we considered before moving to Mexico were:
Weather...year round not just seasonal
Culture...one that we knew something about and admired, an easier language to learn
Healthcare...quality, availability, cost/ability to buy insurance or self-insure
Proximity to US....for family visits, non-emergency healthcare, and sometimes to take a break from a foreign culture, as much as we love it here

We are blessed in that money is not a major consideration for us. For others it is a huge factor, as we have many expat friends here who live on a literal shoe-string and many more that live at a much higher standard of living than they could in the US.

Everyone has their own priorities.

Not only do they have their own priorities. It goes just a bit more than that. There are things people can do to improve their situations. But living in paradise doesn't mean you are living large.

I recently returned from a trip to Hawaii. We remained on only one island cause we had a short time frame to be there. Most of our stuff over the 5 nights in Honolulu I noticed something I didn't expect. I guess I should have but I was surprised to see homeless people of both sexes and multiple ethnicities sleeping on the street. Sure we have them in many places but of all the places to fall into disrepair on an island in the Pacific that costs a lot to get off from in order to change circumstances. I guess it is better to be homeless in Honolulu than it would be homeless in Buffalo NY.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Not only do they have their own priorities. It goes just a bit more than that. There are things people can do to improve their situations. But living in paradise doesn't mean you are living large.

I recently returned from a trip to Hawaii. We remained on only one island cause we had a short time frame to be there. Most of our stuff over the 5 nights in Honolulu I noticed something I didn't expect. I guess I should have but I was surprised to see homeless people of both sexes and multiple ethnicities sleeping on the street. Sure we have them in many places but of all the places to fall into disrepair on an island in the Pacific that costs a lot to get off from in order to change circumstances. I guess it is better to be homeless in Honolulu than it would be homeless in Buffalo NY.
Trust me, there are no expats here living in the streets By living on a shoestring budget, I mean there are expats here with low SS payments (under 1K a month) who rent smaller homes and take the bus instead of owning a car. They still have very good lives here and likely better than what that income could by in most of the US.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Trust me, there are no expats here living in the streets By living on a shoestring budget, I mean there are expats here with low SS payments (under 1K a month) who rent smaller homes and take the bus instead of owning a car. They still have very good lives here and likely better than what that income could by in most of the US.
That wasn't my point. You are right that life in some low cost of living countries like Mexico or Ecuador can be easily accomplished on even SS income. You do have to go native though. That means you are not trying to live like the Warren Buffet.

I was surprised that I seen that in downtown Honolulu.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:28 AM

1,345 posts, read 468,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Does anyone know if there is a website that lists countries around the world that offer a retirement visa and what the requirements are? Before I go researching every country individually, I figured I'd ask if this work had already been done for me. Even within just the EU, I know it ranges from countries that do not offer a retirement visa to something that require you be over a certain age with a certain income to some that do not care about your age as long as you have sufficient support.

Thanks!
Are you American? It often matters who you are and where you are coming from also. I know Israel is very welcoming of Jewish people coming from just about anywhere (they even subsidize the immigration, even for simple retirees), but it is much tougher for non Jewish people to emigrate to Israel. Many muslim countries will not accept non muslims at all.

I lived in South Africa for 4 years, and had many people tell me that some countries like Australia was "friendly" to South Africans emigrating to Australia post 1994, but seemed to stick by their tougher standards for others, especially Indonesians. They desired the talent and skill that was coming their way I guess.

Personally I would research political stability, language and cultural compatibility, corruption, and COL issues before researching simple visa requirements if I was interested in relocating to another country.

The U.S. state dept has a drop down list of visa requirements for other countries here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...n/country.html

Many of the links therein have the related info on different visa types for the selected country, and links directly to the foreign countries own pages regarding visa requirements.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:58 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,529,269 times
Quote:

a lot of native Hawaiians rent their houses and live on the beaches, according to what I was told as i spent considerable time there. Make good $

also remember the movie "Midnight Cowboy" if you were homeless and catching as catch can wouldn't you prefer a warm hospitable environment?

FL is not only home to snowbirds but to the homeless who come and go with the weather. Lots of folks.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
a lot of native Hawaiians rent their houses and live on the beaches, according to what I was told as i spent considerable time there. Make good $

also remember the movie "Midnight Cowboy" if you were homeless and catching as catch can wouldn't you prefer a warm hospitable environment?

FL is not only home to snowbirds but to the homeless who come and go with the weather. Lots of folks.
totally agree. If I was to go homeless I think I would like to be on the streets of Waikiki.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Are you American? It often matters who you are and where you are coming from also. I know Israel is very welcoming of Jewish people coming from just about anywhere (they even subsidize the immigration, even for simple retirees), but it is much tougher for non Jewish people to emigrate to Israel. Many muslim countries will not accept non muslims at all.

I lived in South Africa for 4 years, and had many people tell me that some countries like Australia was "friendly" to South Africans emigrating to Australia post 1994, but seemed to stick by their tougher standards for others, especially Indonesians. They desired the talent and skill that was coming their way I guess.

Personally I would research political stability, language and cultural compatibility, corruption, and COL issues before researching simple visa requirements if I was interested in relocating to another country.

The U.S. state dept has a drop down list of visa requirements for other countries here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...n/country.html

Many of the links therein have the related info on different visa types for the selected country, and links directly to the foreign countries own pages regarding visa requirements.
That link only speaks to TOURIST visas, not residency visas. Though in MX I know many people who live her full-time on a tourist visa which is good for 180 days by going to the border for a quick re-entry. I have read that some countries are cracking down on exats using tourist visas when they actually reside in said country.

Panama Restricts Costa Rica "Border Runs" in Effort to Crack Down on "Perpetual Tourists" - Panama For Beginners

Old 08-20-2017, 03:00 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,603,555 times
Quote:

From what I've read, lots of homeless in Hawaii will panhandle in cities on the mainland and save up for a one-way ticket to Hawaii, where they continue their homeless lifestyle. Not all "homeless" are living in that circumstance due to being "down on their luck."

There is a sub-population of homeless that choose to live that lifestyle and move around the country based on climate and generosity of local services (shelter system, vouchers, etc), and of course, the prevalence of tourists for panhandling.

In Waikiki, they enacted a "sit-lie" ban on public streets due to extensive homeless in tourist areas, and police sweep the tourist areas frequently to remove homeless campers. However, the homeless just move to other cities on the island. Hawaii has the largest per-capita homeless population in the US.

One local example where I live was a Honda dealership that offered a full-time $10/hr job with benefits to a local panhandler who "worked" across from the dealer for 2 years. The panhandler turned down the job, saying he made more panhandling than anyone at the dealership (tax free!). So, the dealership put up a sign that asked people not to give $$ to this panhandler since he turned down a full time job offer. See link below.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...ip_goes_v.html

Last edited by xz2y; 08-20-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or