U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:24 PM

1,345 posts, read 469,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
That link only speaks to TOURIST visas, not residency visas.
Hence my comment about finding further links/info therein.

The best source of information would come from the countries own official webpages in which the OP may be interested. All the foreign countries links are in english (in which the OP posted), and since the links all go to the countries Wash DC based embassies or english websites, it would be a good place to start IMO. As others have stated, a single up to date web based source is likely not available, so I offered something else I thought the OP may find useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 06:48 PM

30,067 posts, read 47,312,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Not only do they have their own priorities. It goes just a bit more than that. There are things people can do to improve their situations. But living in paradise doesn't mean you are living large.

I recently returned from a trip to Hawaii. We remained on only one island cause we had a short time frame to be there. Most of our stuff over the 5 nights in Honolulu I noticed something I didn't expect. I guess I should have but I was surprised to see homeless people of both sexes and multiple ethnicities sleeping on the street. Sure we have them in many places but of all the places to fall into disrepair on an island in the Pacific that costs a lot to get off from in order to change circumstances. I guess it is better to be homeless in Honolulu than it would be homeless in Buffalo NY.
The history of Hawaii has certain number of people who basically "camp out" and live without many of the social ties that other people consider normal...
The weather -except the rain--lends itself to being homeless and many people can build shelters from found materials...

We saw many homeless in San Francisco when we have visited there...because of the weather mainly we were told--not just the expensive housing itself since the people are jobless and unemployable...
In the cooler months they go someplace warmer then return supposedly...

Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 AM

7,096 posts, read 3,457,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Hence my comment about finding further links/info therein.

The best source of information would come from the countries own official webpages in which the OP may be interested. All the foreign countries links are in english (in which the OP posted), and since the links all go to the countries Wash DC based embassies or english websites, it would be a good place to start IMO. As others have stated, a single up to date web based source is likely not available, so I offered something else I thought the OP may find useful.
Better idea to go directly to individual country's immigration website. One google search and you're there. I also continue to recommend active up to date expat forums in the countries you have in mind....the more local the better. Reading the laws of other countries (often in their language) may not help everyone understand the on-the-ground true experiences.

Here in MX to get a green card, the process starts in your nearest MXN consulate to where you live in the US. These consulates do not always interpret the immigration laws the same and have the power to ask for different forms of documentation as they see fit. Some ask for translations of bank accounts, others don't. Some ask for apostiled marriage certificates, others accept copies, some don't ask at all. I went through the Orlando MX consulate and was in and out in 1 hour with my provisional (to be taken to MX to be finalized there). There was another expat wannabee at their office who showed up with little documentation and little understanding of the process and its requirements. Whereas I had sought help far in advance from other expats going to my same MXN town, asking them how things were done at the Orlando Consulate. It's not like you just walk in the door with your US passport and come out with a green card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or