Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 05:45 AM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

i think i told you , years ago money magazine did a story on us . they wanted to pit me and my planning against their team of pro's .

the one area we butted heads was i wanted to self insure .

they are against it for so many reasons . they were right and we changed our plan down the road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 06:11 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
"Unexpectedly" is often an obit euphemism for "committed suicide."

In the hospital?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
stupid question, what does CCRC's stand for?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:41 AM

continuing care retirement community

What is a Continuing Care Retirement Community? | Pacific Retirement Services

Old 08-22-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for way to many, self insuring is just words they use . there is no actual action plan or segregation of money for that purpose .

it is just business as usual -until they get punched in the face. then they realize removing so much from the assets cuts the community spouse's draw down to levels that will not sustain them .
Oh I don't think so. first let me say, my circle of friends that I have knowledge of their financial plan is 5. so it's very small. So don't use me as an example for any thing. lol

Anyhoo, I do have ltc money segregated and invested. I actually have 3 streams of income targeted. now for most here it's probably invested a little more riskier than some would but I've always been on the "risk" side
1) I have a combo life insurance with a long term care rider.
2) I have a hybrid annuity. the pro to this is that if I don't need ltc (and while 70% of elders will need it, 30% will not) and so far none of the elders in my family are in ltc. I do have a 99 year old aunt that has in home care but she's in her own home.

My 4 friends and my siblings all have similar set ups. I have not researched the cost of CCRC's, lol actually this is the first I heard of them.

So I'm sticking with that plan. I simply am not purchasing LTC insurance until the product gets better. This is just me, I am not in anyway an expert on anything. I do have a FP and we've gone over various scenario's now of course we can't envision every single situation but I'm ok so far with my plan.

I do reevaluate every other year.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:22 AM

236 posts, read 159,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
But the problem is, unless the industry has changed, the premiums are insane and the coverage pretty lousy.

I started with Genworth financial, which use to be a major player in the LTC insurance industry. Last year the raised everyone's rate 60% so a 250 a month premium suddenly sky rocked to 400 bucks a month. the next issues I have is quite a number of companies have dropped out to the point where today there are only a dozen or so. and if the insurer decides to drop out, usually the only recourse to get some compensation for claims is a law suit.

almost all policies with guaranteed premiums are gone.

Next, many times chronic conditions that are very manageable will kick you out or have a claim denied.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextave.../#3319604811a8

so after weighing all the pros and cons I'm still in the "no" category. I don't see any change to the industry to make me want to purchase.

as far as my assets go? I've never understood the mentality of saving money for retirement and then not wanting to take care of oneself when you need to. Evidently if I need LTC, living la vida loca for the rest of my life is off the table.

Nearly everything you've stated in this post is false.
The article in Forbes which you refer to is filled with misinformation.
The writer of that article, Richard Eisenberg, asked me to write a rebuttal which he published in NextAvenue.org

Here's the link:

The Case for Buying Long-Term Care Insurance

sao

Old 08-22-2017, 12:31 PM

i agree , i have gensworth and all they did is a few years ago bring under priced policies up to a normal level . no increase since

Old 08-22-2017, 12:35 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Mine went up, almost double the premium in 5 years. I think by the time I need LTC, it might go up 4 folds, at least.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Mine went up, almost double the premium in 5 years. I think by the time I need LTC, it might go up 4 folds, at least.
mine doubled too. not sure how that was false. I got rid of mine 3 years ago.

As I said, I reevaluate about every 2 years. last one I did was last April, I got a wild swing of quotes between 400-800 bucks a month for a standard plan with a payout of 2 years Nope.

The article says, not everyone should have LTC insurance but every one should have a plan. I can live with that. I have a plan.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 08-22-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
initially all the plans were way under priced as insurers went by statistics . the statistics showed usage was a fraction of what it turned out to be .

folks just burdened family and in many cases hurt them financially ,socially or just broke families up over the care . one sibling stepped up , the others stepped back and all hell would break loose between them .

once people had insurance they used it . no different than the health insurers found out . when people have insurance they use it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement