U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 03:14 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,761,444 times

Advertisements

Confused what this has to do with retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 PM

506 posts, read 261,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Confused what this has to do with retirement?
Some people who retire are grandparents. Some people on this board are grandparents, and they're retired. The name of the sub forum is "retirement".

Therefore retired grandparents might have something to say about being retired grandparents and how they interact with their grandchildren on this board.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:47 PM

6,310 posts, read 5,051,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
Some people who retire are grandparents. Some people on this board are grandparents, and they're retired. The name of the sub forum is "retirement".

Therefore retired grandparents might have something to say about being retired grandparents and how they interact with their grandchildren on this board.
Exactly - trying to see what makes us "old" retirees tick! Can't believe I was 53 when I first made an account here. I was reading the posts here long before that.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post

I'm well aware of the forum title. There are grandparents who are retired and those who aren't retired. The OP's thread doesn't really have anything to do with retirement. It's about family dynamics and dysfunctional families. I also wasn't the only one who asked what the thread had to do with retirement.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:25 AM

1,705 posts, read 885,896 times
Maybe it's looking at his grandparents that are alive, now they're retired, and he sees how they've been over the years and how they are now. It's hard viewing the various stages of seeing family members age and retire. Even harder dealing with difficult situations over time - At least he's kept in touch enough to know what went on.

I had wonderful grandparents on both sides, all were retired when I was growing up. I credit a lot of who I am and how I handle life from their interest and lessons. Retirement is a wonderful time to strengthen the bonds with family. Less distractions and more time to do what you want to do, what you hoped to do just as the role models you had when you were young.

I'll also add that there is a 'Grandparents' section under 'Parenting'. I smile at it because the threads are as old as the topic. Hardly any activity on there. !!

Old 08-23-2017, 06:00 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,055,575 times
My grandmother was a sad little Italian lady who lived with us. She never learned to speak English.

Yes, we try and be available to them as much as possible with our son being divorced and the kids being 2 hours away. They just spent last week with us and we had a fun packed week and now I'm stumbling through Clash Royale to better connect with the 11 year old and he put me on his team. I've learned to speak their language, do activities they'd enjoy, and throw out any expectations of how you think things should go. I'm not in their life to put pressure on them. They have parents... two sets of parents. I'm in their life to make memories.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:05 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,055,575 times
As far as being confused about what this thread has to do with retirement, I'm tired of posters wanting to kill a thread because its not tailor made for them. Grandparenting and retirement are a match for many of us.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:44 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Don't you ever get tired of creating threads to gossip about the negative attributes of your elderly relatives?
Not just retirees and grandparents. He has a lot of negative things to say about his friends and family on the non-romantic relationship forum who don't live up to his high standards as well. Sad to see someone so negative at such a young age.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
As far as being confused about what this thread has to do with retirement, I'm tired of posters wanting to kill a thread because its not tailor made for them. Grandparenting and retirement are a match for many of us.
No one said anything about killing this thread or any other thread. The OP doesn't have a question about retirement. His questions are about grandparents which there is a specific forum for. He's also notorious for threads about people he dislikes. He seems to have a lot of issues and flat out refuses to put anyone's advice to use.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:02 AM

506 posts, read 261,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
No one said anything about killing this thread or any other thread. The OP doesn't have a question about retirement. His questions are about grandparents which there is a specific forum for. He's also notorious for threads about people he dislikes. He seems to have a lot of issues and flat out refuses to put anyone's advice to use.
Just think if there were 3 less posts in here (from you), the thread might have died.

As it stands, see the forum sticky on this very subject: Please, don't report all general threads as off topic

"Not every thread that has been started here, even though there is a general forum for the topic, has to be moved immediately. Retirement forum has become much more than just a retirement issues discussion. If someone starts a general thread here, they usually know what they are doing so please, stop swarming us with reports."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or