U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2017, 11:21 AM
 
Location: equator
3,463 posts, read 1,543,057 times
Reputation: 8610

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
Just think if there were 3 less posts in here (from you), the thread might have died.


As it stands, see the forum sticky on this very subject: Please, don't report all general threads as off topic


"Not every thread that has been started here, even though there is a general forum for the topic, has to be moved immediately. Retirement forum has become much more than just a retirement issues discussion. If someone starts a general thread here, they usually know what they are doing so please, stop swarming us with reports."

Amen. That's what makes this forum fun. Something more than SS, Medicare, the 4% rule and golf carts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2017, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Central IL
15,253 posts, read 8,556,682 times
Reputation: 35693
Everyone in my family married old and had kids late....so 3 of my 4 grandparents were dead by the time I was 6 and 2 were gone before I was even born. My mother's mother always seemed very old to me (actions and appearance) but actually only lived to her early 80's. She "watched" my sister and I when we were in elementary school but we certainly never did anything with her - play-wise, or outing-wise.

Grandparenting is much more of thing now - even though people are waiting longer to have kids they are aging more slowly and seem to have more money to do things with grandkids. I guess kids are lucky now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,754,097 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'm well aware of the forum title. There are grandparents who are retired and those who aren't retired. The OP's thread doesn't really have anything to do with retirement. It's about family dynamics and dysfunctional families. I also wasn't the only one who asked what the thread had to do with retirement.

In a narrow, technical sense, you are absolutely correct. But in the seven-plus years I have been participating in this Retirement Forum, I have come to realize that it serves as sort of an "all things senior" forum, whether we like it or not. There have been many discussions about splitting the forum into different parts by subject matter, but obviously the Administrator has remained unconvinced.


I don't see much point in complaining about it, which just introduces unneeded negativity into the discussion and represents an off-topic digression. Why all the resentment?


Why not do what I do?: If the thread topic is not something I am interested in, I don't even click on it. Or, if I come to the same conclusion upon reading the original post, I just move on. No big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 01:17 PM
 
6,649 posts, read 1,372,282 times
Reputation: 16723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
In a narrow, technical sense, you are absolutely correct. But in the seven-plus years I have been participating in this Retirement Forum, I have come to realize that it serves as sort of an "all things senior" forum, whether we like it or not. There have been many discussions about splitting the forum into different parts by subject matter, but obviously the Administrator has remained unconvinced.

I don't see much point in complaining about it, which just introduces unneeded negativity into the discussion and represents an off-topic digression. Why all the resentment?

Why not do what I do?: If the thread topic is not something I am interested in, I don't even click on it. Or, if I come to the same conclusion upon reading the original post, I just move on. No big deal.
Exactly, and well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,304 posts, read 10,782,389 times
Reputation: 20540
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
Just think if there were 3 less posts in here (from you), the thread might have died.


As it stands, see the forum sticky on this very subject: Please, don't report all general threads as off topic


"Not every thread that has been started here, even though there is a general forum for the topic, has to be moved immediately. Retirement forum has become much more than just a retirement issues discussion. If someone starts a general thread here, they usually know what they are doing so please, stop swarming us with reports."
And I didn't report any threads! You need to chill out. No need for a red font which bold in it.

The OP has issues with pretty much every person in his life. Simply reading other Threads of his show this. Again, his thread has absolutely nothing to do with retirement or really even about grandparents. It's another one of his thread complaining about the people in hi life. He never takes anyone's advice. He just likes to complain about people. That's his thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,304 posts, read 10,782,389 times
Reputation: 20540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
In a narrow, technical sense, you are absolutely correct. But in the seven-plus years I have been participating in this Retirement Forum, I have come to realize that it serves as sort of an "all things senior" forum, whether we like it or not. There have been many discussions about splitting the forum into different parts by subject matter, but obviously the Administrator has remained unconvinced.


I don't see much point in complaining about it, which just introduces unneeded negativity into the discussion and represents an off-topic digression. Why all the resentment?


Why not do what I do?: If the thread topic is not something I am interested in, I don't even click on it. Or, if I come to the same conclusion upon reading the original post, I just move on. No big deal.
I wasn't complaining. I asked a simple question. A question the OP has never answered. In fact, the OP hasn't been back since the original post. If you read the thread, you'll see I wasn't the only one who asked what his post has to do with retirement.

I have zero resentment. This OP just posts threads after thread complaining about his family and friends. He has some real issues. He never takes anyone's advice. He just lives to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Status: "I am Blessed." (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Spurs country. "Go, Spurs, Go!"
3,423 posts, read 3,977,201 times
Reputation: 8904
I happen to enjoy reading the OP's threads and posts, and the (positive) replies to them. If I didn't I would ignore them or put HIM on ignore. Anyone else enjoy his posts? If not, what do you do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 PM
 
6,330 posts, read 5,069,672 times
Reputation: 12866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I happen to enjoy reading the OP's threads and posts, and the (positive) replies to them. If I didn't I would ignore them or put HIM on ignore. Anyone else enjoy his posts? If not, what do you do about it?
I enjoy reading them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 04:36 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,278 posts, read 6,356,923 times
Reputation: 9903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I wasn't complaining. I asked a simple question. A question the OP has never answered. In fact, the OP hasn't been back since the original post. If you read the thread, you'll see I wasn't the only one who asked what his post has to do with retirement.

I have zero resentment. This OP just posts threads after thread complaining about his family and friends. He has some real issues. He never takes anyone's advice. He just lives to complain.
I'm beginning to think SC wants to retire but too young to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,754,097 times
Reputation: 32309
All this arguing about the original poster, his motivations, the nature of his previous threads and whether or not we find them on-topic, whether or not we enjoy reading them, is totally off topic here, since the thread is supposed to be about "relationships with the grandchildren". It is comical, laughable, really.


And no, I haven't reported any of the discussion as off-topic and I'm not going to. (There's a history behind my general refusal to report that I don't care to go into here.) My previous post was off-topic too, but I couldn't resist responding to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top