U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times

Advertisements

Now my own personal reaction. I always liked Robyn, even though we were sometimes on opposite sides of an issue. She was direct and straight-forward - very little beating around the bush. She defended herself vigorously but at the same time remained civil.

When I got that first direct message from her (posted three posts above) I was really floored and felt so bad. It was in response to a query of mine - "Are you O.K.?", which was prompted by her not having posted for a while. And then I felt obligated to just sit on it out of respect for her own subsequent request. That was hard, but as a matter of principle I wanted to respect her request, so I didn't even share in private with "friends" here whom I trust.

A while back (maybe a month or two?) I wrote to her again asking how she was doing. No response. I thought "uh-oh". It was a very sad, sinking feeling. We feel we have come to know people after a few years of reading their posts. Therefore, I am so grateful to the OP of this thread for letting us know.

By the way, there is another female attorney whose screen name is on the tip of my tongue whose posts I have not seen in a while. I am hoping she and I are simply posting in different threads. It just came to me!: Lenora. Perhaps she will post here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 PM

19,836 posts, read 18,845,295 times
What an awful feeling, ER. And you knew but you had to hold it back out of respect for Robyn.

I have sent a message to the super mods telling them of her passing. Maybe another mod has also done so but I wanted to be 100% certain that they know and that she will have the words, "Eternal Member" placed beneath her id.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,985,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vttosta View Post
I just saw this post on the Jacksonville forum. Unfortunately Robyn passed away earlier this month.
Robyn55
Thank you so much for posting about Robyn. I was thinking of her last week and wondering where she was. Have missed her posts and will continue to do so. Her husband was quite elderly, I believe. Hope he is okay.

I had a friend on the City-Data from the Retirement Forum that I messaged back and forth with many times over 6-7 years. I never knew her last name, as she was very private personally (Susan2599). She only posted on this forum a few times. All of a sudden last year after Christmas, she quit responding, even though I sent many messages asking her to respond and if she was OK. She had had an accident and suffered some health issues after that. I hope that she is alright, but think maybe not. I guess I'll never know... That's one of rather sad things about the forum.

Last edited by staywarm2; 08-22-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 PM

8,886 posts, read 2,758,586 times
RIP Robyn. I always enjoyed reading her posts. I'm so sorry.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:46 PM

21,536 posts, read 43,992,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Her husband was quite elderly, I believe.
Actually, he is only a few years older - 73/74. You may thinking of her father in his mid 90's - who she mentioned often.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:51 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Default Robyn

I think about her all the time - wondered if they moved to the PNW as she had spoken of many times.

I really am sorry to hear this. We have lost so many CD people.

RIP Robyn.

If I ever have a secret I want to talk to someone about but want them to keep it quiet I'm telling ER - that says a lot about your character, especially in a world full of blabber mouths. I try very hard to do the same.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 PM

494 posts, read 880,262 times
I messaged Robyn a while back (more than a year ago, at a time when she was still an active poster) to ask for her quick take about something related to my search for a retirement home. I wasn't expecting more than a brief "could be worth pursuing"/"maybe not such a great idea" answer at most (but I felt that even a brief response from her would be helpful because of her combination of intelligence and knowledgeability).

But instead of giving me only her quick impression that I'd asked for, she took the time to reply in considerable detail with info that was extremely useful.

I then saw from her posts that she had just had a serious injury--so she was going to the trouble to reply to me so helpfully, and at such length, while she was simultaneously dealing with something major in her own life.

I know I thanked her at the time, but on reading this sad news, I hope she knew how genuinely I appreciate how she, and others here, have gone out of their way to provide helpful info to people they don't know. From what I could tell from various posts of hers that I read, our views sometimes aligned and other times didn't, but wow, what kindness she showed me, and at a difficult time for her.

RIP, Robyn.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 PM

7,628 posts, read 4,693,202 times
I was wondering about her just the other day and feared the worst.

She will be missed.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:42 PM

6,877 posts, read 7,276,074 times
Oh my. Just "knew" her here on the forum....and still, I'm very sad. A reminder that life is precious....and even a person lives to be 100, for others it can be so short, too short.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:40 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,922,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I was able to work backwards with the screen name and found the obituary. I think it's the shortest one I've ever seen.
My goodness, that is amazing detective work! Although the unusual spelling of her first name probably helped.

This is really sad news. I am kind of sporadic on C-D, but I always saw her name pop up in the Retirement thread. Can I ask why she was on the Jacksonville forum? Just curious, since she lived in the Miami area.

Thanks to those who informed us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or