Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

She lived and died at Ponte Vedra Beach near JAX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 01:06 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Can I ask why she was on the Jacksonville forum? Just curious, since she lived in the Miami area.
She lived in northern FL - Ponte Vedra Beach to be exact - almost 350 mi. north of Miami, but only 18 miles or thereabouts from Jacksonville. She often mentioned the Mayo Jacksonville Clinic. She and hubby had long been patients there and eventually joined its concierge practice, as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_...Beach,_Florida

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-23-2017 at 01:19 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 01:39 AM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
... Can I ask why she was on the Jacksonville forum? Just curious, since she lived in the Miami area ... [excerpt].
If I recall correctly, she lived in South Florida (not sure for how long) before moving to Ponte Vedra Beach. In particular, I think I remember her posting about what it was like to live in South Florida at the time of Hurricane Andrew, which I think hit Miami in 1992 or thereabouts (so maybe you're remembering those posts).

Old 08-23-2017, 03:08 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Very sad to read this. I remember her from the Jacksonville forums- for a while several years ago that was on our potential list. She was so full of knowledge and eager to share.
Very sad.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:18 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How on earth to you track these people down by Username???????

At any rate, she will be sorely missed [mod cut]
Yes, her first name was spelled a bit oddly, but someone sleuthing around who is familiar with a poster can most likely figure out who someone was. After all, many of us have shared our occupations, perhaps our first names (some people post with full names - there are "Larry Caldwell" and "Larry Siegel" for instance), often our town of residence, etc.

I have a good memory and remembered her being an attorney. If you Google, "Robyn Ponte Vedra attorney," she comes right up.

Several years back, I had someone on the Tennessee forums figure out who I was, messaged me on LinkedIn, and asked me if I was SC. I think I told her my first name and where I was working at the time. Admittedly, she was a reporter. I've mentioned on the forums that I've lived in both Iowa and Indiana. In this town, there probably isn't anyone else who has. I've also mentioned that I've worked for "a local contracting company." Someone could pull up that contracting company on LinkedIn, see the "alums," sift through the profiles, and easily find me because I've worked in Iowa and Indiana. It's not difficult.

Last edited by volosong; 08-23-2017 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 07:02 AM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Yes, her first name was spelled a bit oddly, but someone sleuthing around who is familiar with a poster can most likely figure out who someone was. After all, many of us have shared our occupations, perhaps our first names (some people post with full names - there are "Larry Caldwell" and "Larry Siegel" for instance), often our town of residence, etc.

I have a good memory and remembered her being an attorney. If you Google, "Robyn Ponte Vedra attorney," she comes right up.

Several years back, I had someone on the Tennessee forums figure out who I was, messaged me on LinkedIn, and asked me if I was SC. I think I told her my first name and where I was working at the time. Admittedly, she was a reporter. I've mentioned on the forums that I've lived in both Iowa and Indiana. In this town, there probably isn't anyone else who has. I've also mentioned that I've worked for "a local contracting company." Someone could pull up that contracting company on LinkedIn, see the "alums," sift through the profiles, and easily find me because I've worked in Iowa and Indiana. It's not difficult.
Don't look now, but I think you just outed yourself!

Old 08-23-2017, 07:04 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
^^

Very, very interesting indeed SC! I didn't realize there are those who use their real names, I always assumed otherwise!

Old 08-23-2017, 07:45 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
I just found this thread, how sad!

I thought Hurricane Matthew was perhaps one too many for her when she wasn't posting anymore. I should have realized it was more than that. She faced things straight on, she suffered no fools in her posts, and the hurricane would have been just another thing to deal with before she got on with her life.

Knowing her from her posts, it's no surprise that she kept her personal tragedy private. It's strange to feel so strongly over people we've never met in real life. I think we might have more insight on the way their minds work from their posts, than some people we know in real life.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-23-2017 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 08:09 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What an awful feeling, ER. And you knew but you had to hold it back out of respect for Robyn.

I have sent a message to the super mods telling them of her passing. Maybe another mod has also done so but I wanted to be 100% certain that they know and that she will have the words, "Eternal Member" placed beneath her id.
Thank you for this. I was going suggest it, but your post made that moot.

I am very sad to hear about Robyn55. She was a prolific poster who had tons of great information that she willingly shared. As someone else stated, she didn't suffer fools, either.

RIP, Robyn.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:22 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
It's strange to feel so strongly over people we've never met in real life. I think we might more insight on the way their minds work from their posts, than some people we know in real life.
Have had 1-2 posters from football forums pass away. You take it kind of hard as if he was a personal friend even though you don't even know his real name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement