U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 09:20 AM

708 posts, read 503,095 times

Advertisements

5 am to be at work at 6am. Luckily only 10 minute commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:42 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I get up at 3:15 am, leave the house at 5, get to work at 5:30, leave work at 6:10, get home 6:45 pm.
I've often wondered why people get up so much earlier than when they actually have to leave for work.
I prefer to sleep as long as possible! Up at 6:35am, out the door around 6:50-6:55am. I lay my clothes out and pack my lunch at night, coffee pot has a timer so it's ready...other than brush your teeth, make the bed, get dressed, grab the lunch sack and pour coffee into the travel mug, what else is there to do? What takes you nearly 2 hours to get ready for work?

Old 08-23-2017, 09:57 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,473,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
... what else is there to do? What takes you nearly 2 hours to get ready for work?
Everybody has their own unique routine. Add to your list a shower, shave the whiskers, prepare breakfast, eat breakfast while scanning the overnight headlines, washing the dishes and cleanup the kitchen after breakfast before heading out the door.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-23-2017, 10:03 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,511,151 times
I never liked to be rushed in the morning. Much of my later working years involved working from my home office in the morning and then going out and seeing clients in the afternoon. It became a way of approaching the day in a calmer, more enjoyable manner.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:13 AM

13,252 posts, read 6,345,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Other than pulling a few 'all-nighters', it is the early, and long, commute hours that finally drove me to retire. I'd have the alarm set at 4:15 so that I could get out of the house and to the vanpool lot by 5:45.

The van left work at 4:30 in the afternoon and I wouldn't walk into the door at the house until almost 6:00 p.m. If it weren't for the long commute, I'd probably still be working.
My husband had to do similar commute using vanpool. He too would not retire if the commute is not so long. Sitting 3 hours each day is not good for anybody's health. Plus he's slower to get ready, he set his alarm to get up at 4:45 am. Forget about reading or checking the news. It's the worst job ever. It's like prison cell. Once he got to work, he had no source of transportation to go anywhere.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,122,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Yeeech......that sucks......I can't imagine you have any kind of life during the work week. 12 hr days right??... I used to work 12 hr shifts but I lived only a few minutes from where I worked. Still, during that time it was get up, work, home, dinner, a brief bit of time to myself then sleep.....a vicious repeating cycle.

How many hours of sleep do you get on a work night? I knew one guy on this type of schedule who got home at 6:45 and was in bed by 8:30.
Yes 12.1 hours a day. Every other week I work the weekend but get two weekdays off. Workdays consist basically of work, dinner, sleep and repeat. I aim to be in bed by 8:30 and asleep by 9:00. Usually read for 30 minutes. I've been on this schedule for over 9 years, so I'm used to it. The really rough times are during the winter when it takes two or three times the normal for the commute.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:33 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,122,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I've often wondered why people get up so much earlier than when they actually have to leave for work.
I prefer to sleep as long as possible! Up at 6:35am, out the door around 6:50-6:55am. I lay my clothes out and pack my lunch at night, coffee pot has a timer so it's ready...other than brush your teeth, make the bed, get dressed, grab the lunch sack and pour coffee into the travel mug, what else is there to do? What takes you nearly 2 hours to get ready for work?
Well I prep dinner to put in the slow cooker, I do something with the laundry wash,dry, put away etc., I pack lunches if not leftovers, I fix breakfast for my husband, I feed the animals, twice a week I take out the trash and get it out for pickup, I shower, make the bed, get dressed and try to do one quick chore maybe sweep the kitchen floor, unload and put away dishes something small that I know I won't have the energy for at night. Oh and in the winter I dig out my vehicle. Never a shortage of things to do.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:37 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,006,816 times
As a child I used to have to get up at 5:30 AM to make breakfast for everyone, iron my dad's suit, and get everyone off to school including myself. Starting around age 6.

To this day I rarely iron anything. Unless its stupid wrinkled, like absolutely crushed, no ironing. If it routinely comes out of the dryer all crushed up, I get rid of whatever it is. I had some silk slacks and the like that always looked a bit rumpled. If someone made a snide remark, I just told them it was "distressed silk" and it was supposed to look that way. LOL!

Ironing is a stupid waste of time. Give me permanent press every day of the week.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:41 AM

4,234 posts, read 7,269,151 times
I grew up on a farm/ranch and my Father woke me up to start the day with a huge breakfast at 4:00 AM followed by a couple hours of intense work taking care of livestock etc. Then at 7:00 AM it was back to the house for another breakfast fixed by my Mother so my two younger sisters and I could go to school well fed.

Sixty years later I still wake up by 5:00 AM but my breakfast is nothing more than toast and Peanut Butter. I sure do miss the morning feasts that my Dad and Mom fixed. What I don't miss is throwing bales of hay to the livestock. Although it would be nice to still be able to do so LOL.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:44 AM

39,694 posts, read 2,998,682 times
In my 20s it was up at 5.30 to start at 6.30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or