U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:55 AM

552 posts, read 640,893 times

Advertisements

In the 25 years I worked at the bakery my starting times varied from 0000 to 2359. My most hated shifts were starting between 1900 and 2300. I generally got up about 2 hours before my shift unless it was an afternoon or late morning shift. Now being retired I get up anywhere between 0300-0530. The cat doesn’t let me sleep in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 01:07 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,788,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Well I prep dinner to put in the slow cooker, I do something with the laundry wash,dry, put away etc., I pack lunches if not leftovers, I fix breakfast for my husband, I feed the animals, twice a week I take out the trash and get it out for pickup, I shower, make the bed, get dressed and try to do one quick chore maybe sweep the kitchen floor, unload and put away dishes something small that I know I won't have the energy for at night. Oh and in the winter I dig out my vehicle. Never a shortage of things to do.
Well, as they say, to each his own. Your morning stuff I do at night, love using the slow cooker exactly for the reason of starting it in the morning. Prep is the night before. Except make breakfast for my husband. He can manage to feed himself. And the dog. And take out the garbage. And does his own laundry.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:16 PM

1,443 posts, read 1,123,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Well, as they say, to each his own. Your morning stuff I do at night, love using the slow cooker exactly for the reason of starting it in the morning. Prep is the night before. Except make breakfast for my husband. He can manage to feed himself. And the dog. And take out the garbage. And does his own laundry.
My husband has mobility issues so it's easier for me to do some of it. If I can help make it a little easier for him I want to. We have acreage and live in a rural area, so he has plenty of his own chores to do. I also have a few chores I do at night (very few) I also stop at the post office before work. Home mail delivery isn't available where we live. Like you said each to their own. BTW when I say feed the animals it's not just like feeding a dog, we have a barn and animals.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:31 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,055,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I saw a report this week of a woman who gets up at 2:15am every morning to work a regular daytime job because she lives 3 hours outside of San Francisco where she works, and it takes her 3 hours of commuting time (one way)!!

The town where she bought her house is Stockton, CA. She previously lived in an apartment in or near San Francisco, but when that apt was no longer available, she decided to buy a house, and Stockton, a 3-hour commute outside of SF by pubic transit, had reasonably priced inexpensive houses to purchase.
I'm from the Bay Area (all over it) and went to college in Stockton - that is INSANE. Why even bother at that point? Just try to find a job in the Stockton area, or give up on the dream of buying a house. Honestly, I don't understand why owning a home is THAT important, to where one would spend hours and hours commuting. I don't know her entire story, but that just seems ridiculous to me. I'd rather live in a studio apartment, or even a room in someone's house, and actually have time to enjoy my life outside of work/commute. To each their own, but I personally would never do that. Ugh.

Not to mention, Stockton is a crappy (high crime etc) town with an unstable real estate market. LOL

Old 08-23-2017, 02:33 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,055,577 times
Another thing I don't understand, in reading through this thread: How one "gets up" at hours like 1-3am, when I consider that to be NIGHT time. Again, this is just my own personality, but I'd stay up instead - and then go to sleep when I got home, like most graveyard shift workers. I'm nocturnal by nature, though, so YMMV.

And sorry to barge in on your thread/subforum (since I'm not retired), but it came up on the "active threads" and caught my attention! To answer the original question, the earliest job I had started at 6am, and I woke up around 5:15am since it was a short drive... didn't last long, though, and I quit as soon as I found a night job.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:14 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,373,368 times
I attended Auburn University in eastern Alabama which was about 45 minutes from where I co-opped... in Georgia (read: different time zone).

I had to be at work at 6:30am, which was 5:30 in Auburn. So I needed to leave about 4:45am to make it to work on time. Typically, I woke up a few minutes after 4.

It sure was nice getting that hour back on the commute home.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:24 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,050,021 times
About 4:45AM to get myself, kid ready for daycare (my mother provided the daycare then), kid dropped off at my mother's house, then to work by 7AM.

Was able to get up later as kid got older, independent, and work hours started later at different jobs.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 PM

5,471 posts, read 2,930,754 times
1:30am

Old 08-23-2017, 05:06 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,433,009 times
I once had a job where I started at 4:30 AM. Had to get up at 3:30 AM.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:13 PM

6,326 posts, read 5,069,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm from the Bay Area (all over it) and went to college in Stockton - that is INSANE. Why even bother at that point? Just try to find a job in the Stockton area, or give up on the dream of buying a house. Honestly, I don't understand why owning a home is THAT important, to where one would spend hours and hours commuting. I don't know her entire story, but that just seems ridiculous to me. I'd rather live in a studio apartment, or even a room in someone's house, and actually have time to enjoy my life outside of work/commute. To each their own, but I personally would never do that. Ugh.

Not to mention, Stockton is a crappy (high crime etc) town with an unstable real estate market. LOL
I found it strange also. The difference between rent and mortgage was 600. It was 600 more to rent a small place. 1600 compared to 1000. But a house has so many other expenses.

And if necessary she could use the commuting time to get a second job to make up the difference. She made $81K a year.

I am a home owner, but look to be a renter in a small retirement type place in my later years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or