U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:45 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times

Advertisements

Dad was raised on a farm. Life revolved around the farm schedule. He had a bunch of siblings and all of them were expected to save Dad money on hired help. But Dad didn't like the farm and left at sixteen to join the navy. His mother signed the release that allowed him to.

He was on a ship when Pearl Harbor came. He fought in most of the major sea battles. I remember once asking what one looked like. He just got quiet and turned away. He just said lots of blood. He carried those memories for a long time. After the war he left the Navy, and found his way into the early precidents of the space program, and worked on every landing. I was very proud of him, for my dad was a small bit of a man standing on the moon.

During the Vietnam war at home, Dad never said much, but had quit talking to my uncle who did not fight in WW2, with a comfortably arrainged deferant. Once he said he might feel otherwise if he'd seen the blood. I don't recall him saying more. But that the safety of before I felt like a child, and then having society come apart, and your neighbor is suddenly the enemy, and you watch what you say with family... it was like everything changed. Dad couldn't back up. Neither could his kid.

Luck hasn't been my choice exactly. But I'm philosophical about it. Don't tear yourself up about it if you can't change it. Find the good things and find a way through. Being sick wasn't my choice but I appreciate everything more now that I'm used to dealing with the leftovers.

I had wished to copy my parents, married for years, so close that when Mom died,he gave up. Didn't work our that way. But you make your peace and move on and leave the door open so you can see the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 02:26 PM

1,510 posts, read 969,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickPea77 View Post
As you are now

What I mean copied your parents life , I mean every aspect work amount of children , marriage etc
What exactly is the purpose of this question? Aren't we supposed to aspire to be better than our parents?

I would not be happy. I would be having chest pains if I walked 50 yards and would be dead in less than three years without enjoying any retirement...

Old 10-06-2017, 02:53 PM

13,874 posts, read 7,386,288 times
My father was an Oral Surgeon. By the time he was 45, he was doing pro bono 'interesting cases' like making a jaw out of a rib for a jaw cancer victim. The repetitive task work he did to earn a living like pulling wisdom teeth was sucking the soul out of him. He was pretty adamant that my sister and I not go down a career path like that. We both have "intellectual property creation" careers that are not repetitive task at all.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:51 AM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
I hope that jaw out of a rib thing worked. Damn, I'd want that guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement