U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:14 PM

37,152 posts, read 45,694,157 times

Advertisements

Although they started out with the Ozzie and Harriet life, the fates interfered. They got married during the war. Mom was pretty and Dad was a handsome Air Force navigator. After the war, they bought a little house and had 3 kids. Dad worked for the same company his father helped found.
Mom died at 40. After awhile, Dad married an alcoholic, and managed to pickle his liver by the time he was 70. They could have enjoyed a very prosperous retirement, playing golf and traveling, but instead, my dad's pension went keeping the second wife in a nursing home.
I'm about to turn 70, and hope my liver hangs in for a good while yet. If I had a do over, I wouldnt take my parents life, because I'd have been dead 40 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 01:17 PM

5,243 posts, read 3,645,924 times
My parents were just good ordinary, hard working folks, spent their lives working in a textile mill,no retirement plan. They survived on a $400/month SS check. I didn't want to do that.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:28 PM

7,316 posts, read 15,368,793 times
Absolutely not. My mother wasn't able to finish high school, let alone college, because it was more important that the family be able to send her 3 younger brothers (all of whom turned out badly) to school. So she worked in the fields picking crops from age 14 on. She married young (16) to a fairly abusive alcoholic who was killed in a training accident in WW2. Her second husband was no good deal, either. When she met my father, his entire family threw a fit that he had taken up with a shameful divorced woman, enough so that my father's parents and his sister did not attend their wedding. Both my parents had to work to support their families, even after they were married. My father was fortunate enough to go to school nights on the GI Bill - my mother worked whatever day job she could get, often low-status and poorly paid. One of the reasons I have never hired a house cleaner is that I sometimes went with my mother on her house cleaning jobs and never forgot how she was treated.

By the late 70's, my father's career had finally paid off and he was in middle management in a large corporation and they had more money, enough to afford a fairly nice house. But my mother died in 1985.

I see so many posters rambling on about how "ideal" the 50s and early 60s were - that depends entirely on who you are and what your family status was.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:29 PM

295 posts, read 150,184 times
Default No...

My father was the most irresponsible person I know.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,854 posts, read 54,552,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
HA! Not a chance!

My whole life has been an attempt to counteract their lives. Anger, ignorance, and alcoholism wouldn't have made me happy.
Same here. They had 9 kids, fought all the time and were miserable. My father beat us and wouldn't let us do anything fun at all. Very unhappy time of my life until I finally moved out while in college at age 19 and got my own apartment, having saved from the job I started at age 14, though my father took a big chunk of it since he was also on my savings account. Fortunately I got my own savings and checking accounts at 16 and stopped contributing to that joint savings account. I have modeled my marriage and parental role by doing the opposite.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:37 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,978,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I would have been miserable, poor and very unhappy.
Same here, to say the least

Old 08-23-2017, 01:48 PM

9,151 posts, read 7,224,621 times
No! No! No!

Old 08-23-2017, 01:57 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,160,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickPea77 View Post
As you are now

What I mean copied your parents life , I mean every aspect work amount of children , marriage etc
Nope.

My parents were in the work place for over 10 years prior to the bad inflection point of wage growth that hit during the early/mid 1970s. They were in tech, during a time when there was not very much competition for tech jobs. They rode the wave from the early semiconductor era into Web 2.0. They bought both childhood houses for what would be considered a pittance these days, and rode the successive appreciation waves. They had help from their own parents getting started and got decent inheritances. So many advantages I did not have.

I will never reach my parents levels of attainment. It's not for a lack of talent, discipline or trying. It's macro stuff.

Given all of this, in order to avoid being yet another debt ridden, depressed, "middle American," I have had to do lots of things very different from how my parents did it. No kids. Inner ring / urban all the way. Sort of bohemian. As a result, I have a survival plan. Had I done it like they did, I probably would have ended up one sad soul.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:08 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,688,776 times
Nope.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM

23,647 posts, read 17,615,071 times
I'm already living too much like them in the same routine in the same boring town. It's not a happy place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement