U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 05:37 PM

31,684 posts, read 19,984,454 times

Advertisements

Self absorbed over spenders with divorces and affairs, who only thought of themselves? No, I don't think that would make me happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM

5,202 posts, read 671,182 times
Two words:

HELL NO!

My folks fought like cats and dogs--even as a kid I wished that they would have gotten a divorce. I told myself that if I was ever that unhappy in a marriage I'd get a divorce.

And I did....

Old 08-23-2017, 06:30 PM

1,062 posts, read 490,660 times
Every generation is supposed to get at least a little bit better. Wiser, more humane, understanding and tolerant. Healthier.

Gotta work at keeping it that way.

But to specifically answer op's question, no.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:42 PM

13,321 posts, read 25,569,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
HA! Not a chance!

My whole life has been an attempt to counteract their lives. Anger, ignorance, and alcoholism wouldn't have made me happy.
Nothing about my parents' lives appealed to me on any level. The few things I got were from my father- an interest in sports and history and the daily news, and the emotional connection with the family dog.

If I'd lived either of their lives, I'd have been a suicide. Honestly.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:08 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,028,155 times
No, as well. Circumstances dictated their choices - and lack of money. My mother died at age 36 when I was four and brother was 9 mos. old. Dad - an intelligent man, voracious reader - responsible for two very young children - remarried when I was age 6 to what turned out to be a very a stupid woman. A very unhappy marriage.

My life is much better than theirs and so is my son's and I know, for sure, I am happier.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-23-2017 at 10:20 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 PM

446 posts, read 282,272 times
My parents are still alive, and have a good marriage, had good careers, and as best I can tell, led happy lives, giving my brothers and me a happy childhood. But starting from this premise, I still end up with the same answer of - no. Never married, never had kids, and don't regret it at all. I'm content on my own, and with being a sister, Aunt and friend. I think I'd chafe at sharing my life with the degree of intimacy required in marriage or parenthood. Their careers were as teachers. Mine was a job involving lots of travel, and constant change of pace. Loved it in my twenties, thirties and forties, got worn out in my fifties and chose a quiet, early retirement. I love and respect my parents, their careers, and their family choices, but that doesn't equate to wanting their lives. I had my own life!

Last edited by upnorthretiree; 08-23-2017 at 10:50 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,006,006 times
What???? NO. OF COURSE not.

Aside from the whole starving-through-the-Depression thing (and the whole WWiI thing as well), there's also that thing about women being chattel.

Yeah. Thanks anyway. I already passed on that.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,163,159 times
Not really - my dad, who was brilliant, had no ambition. But he had a good marriage, which is tremendously important (so do I, for the most part).

Old 08-23-2017, 11:28 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,313,328 times
Not my life per se... but would be quite happy having it.

Mom and Dad were very much in love and Dad often said Mom was the best thing that ever happened to him...

They did the best they knew how to make it all work even with Dad working 6 days a week my entire childhood so Mom could be a stay at home mom and she was most grateful only going back to work when we were in High School...

Old 08-23-2017, 11:46 PM

288 posts, read 140,571 times
My parents had a great life. Married in their 30s. Had 4 kids. Mom didn't work outside the home. Dad was a city employee. Paid off the house in 10 years. Retired and traveled. Helped out the kids. I would have loved to have been as financially secure as they were. Would have been okay if we had 4 kids instead of 2. But don't think I would have liked not working.

But We had more unemployment when the economy tanked. Oh well. Still happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement