U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:12 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,527,506 times

Advertisements

Hello

For those of you retirees who live in an apartment or condo, how is that going for you?

Am currently in a SFR but will be selling out and moving near family. I would like to go the apartment or condo route but not sure I can pull it off practically speaking. And I am used to my own house.

It is all tradeoffs and dollars, so I just wonder how you all have done with it at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 01:30 PM

781 posts, read 892,352 times
Really could not imagine going back into a SFH. Lived in suburban and city apartments and condo's for 20 year's and love the freedom.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:32 PM

71,463 posts, read 71,629,249 times
perfect . no chores , no headaches , no repairs , no maintenance ' nothing to do but what we want.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-23-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 01:41 PM

7,292 posts, read 4,145,583 times
Not yet a retiree, but a little over a year ago I sold my house and moved into a 2-bedroom condo closer to work. I do sometimes miss the spaciousness and privacy of my house, but I don't miss the yard work, the daily commute, or the hassles of home maintenance at all. I have more free time on the weekends than I did as a home owner, and it's a lot easier to travel. And having someone always available to sign for packages or to deal with sudden, can't-wait problems like a leaky pipe is beyond wonderful. Overall the upsides outweigh the downsides.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:50 PM

10,128 posts, read 12,373,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Hello

For those of you retirees who live in an apartment or condo, how is that going for you?

Am currently in a SFR but will be selling out and moving near family. I would like to go the apartment or condo route but not sure I can pull it off practically speaking. And I am used to my own house.

It is all tradeoffs and dollars, so I just wonder how you all have done with it at this point.
We've always lived in a single family home ever since purchasing our first one in 1978.

We sold our last home late last year and purchased single floor plan two bedroom/two bath condo with a second floor loft if we ever had to use it for a bedroom.

It is turning out to be the best move we ever made.

I no longer own any yard tools or will I ever have to do yard work. I will never again have to shovel snow or worry about roof replacement or any repairs outside my drywall.

What really floors me is the cost of utilities. We are on a budget plan based on the past 20 years and the combined gas heat and electric air conditioning runs us $130/month. Garbage pick up, water and sewer is all taken care of by the HOA fee which runs $239/month.

While it isn't a senior retirement community it sometimes looks like it because I will bet 80% of the community is > 60.

Of course there are rules but looking them all over there is nothing bad in my view. No, I don't want to see a motor home parked in every driveway.

It is gated so it is safe.

At this stage of our lives it is the most perfect place we could have picked.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
I've lived in apartments all my life so just fine.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:24 PM

6,744 posts, read 3,851,875 times
I definitely don't miss vacuuming stairs anymore, and having an indoor pool year round is great! We've made many new friends, whereas we had become the old people on the block previously. I suggest looking around until you find a place that provides new pleasures.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:38 PM

10,128 posts, read 12,373,396 times
Our community has a outdoor swimming pool which I refer to as the grandchildren bait. They love to come visit grandma and grandpa on a hot summer day! I just mentioned "why don't we all go swimming?" and the whole room lights up!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:42 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,192,061 times
I'm in a duplex condo w/ higher HOAs ($500/mo) that cover a lot of the maintenance around the outside of the house, outside h20 lawn watering, inside h20 (h20 utility can be expensive here in FL), basic cable, free shuttle service around the community if/when the time comes, lots of fitness and indoor/outdoor pools, tennis/pickelball courts and other activities if I want to participate. Home is paid for though, so HOA fee is manageable for my finances, so not too taxing for me.

There are time where the communal living isn't what I prefer (neighbors nearby), but I like not doing yard, exterior home maintenance.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 PM

508 posts, read 302,965 times
Lived in apartments most of my adult life. Never had a problem except when I lived in cheap, low-end complexes. Then it wasn't apartment living or the old building. It was the neighbors. Find a good place and it's great.

For the past 12 yrs I have been living in a nice mobile home park. Yes, I mow the lawn and have to pay to fix things but the overall cost of living is less than the cost of the type of apartment I'd consider living in at this stage of my life. I've found it to be an acceptable middle ground especially since I decided to learn how to play guitar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or