U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:22 AM

297 posts, read 150,350 times

Advertisements

A pleasant drive in either my Challenger or Camaro. Building plastic model kits. Listening to records on one of my several turntables. Watching an old film. Thrift store shopping & flea markets. An occasional film at the cinema. Visiting a friend when they are not being too introverted. Museums & libraries. A good book. Time with the Calico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 06:52 AM

677 posts, read 842,767 times
We are busier now and loving it. Yes, we go to parties, but they no longer start and end late. We are home by 10 the latest. Fatty foods and desserts? Everyone brings something to share. No one has to touch a thing. You're going for the company. We go to various neighbors and someone will put on some great oldies music. We'll sing along! No "drunks", just people having social drinks.

I have the time now for book clubs, yoga, card games, bike rides, walks and swimming.

I like going out too. I like putting on my nice outfits, a little makeup and feeling good about myself. I eat lightly, it's not about the food. It's about going on a date with my husband and/or some good friends and socializing.

My 90 year old mother still enjoyed all of the above right up to last year when her health declined.

OP, most important is doing what makes YOU happy. I also love to read in bed. But, that's just one of the many things I enjoy doing.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:10 AM

3,922 posts, read 1,668,548 times
My preferences have changed over time;
I find less enjoyment in noisy or crowded places like concerts and fairs.
I avoid strenuous or dangerous activities like clambering down a cliff to go swimming.
I spend more time with friends, especially while eating out.
I don't like to drive at night.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:32 AM

17,641 posts, read 11,210,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I used to love going out to eat, try new restaurants , taste new cocktails, and good food. I find eating out not so appealing any except for those time when both our kids are with us and we go to our favorite place. I enjoy the ambience, being waited on while we can talk, and no clean up to do,and the company of my family all together. But with just the 2 of us I would rather cook at home and enjoy what I make which is fresher and tastier . My husband does the cleaning, which helps.
Going out with friends is not as much fun as it used to be. Our friendships have changed, many of them moved away, and we have lost touch with others. Parties bore me, all that small talk, eating fatty appetizers and dessert. I long to come home, get into bed, and pick up the book I am reading. Heaven!
I still like to travel.
Am I just getting old and boring?
No, I think it is simply part of us getting older. Things that were once fun and interesting may not be that way now.

I retired twice and am back working 40 per because I get bored easily, and working is better for me. But I work with a lady who is retired and so is her husband. They both own motorcycles, and I asked the other day if they had been riding much. She said "No, he doesn't enjoy it any more, and wants us to sell them. I hope he isn't getting old on me." She looked sad about it.

It must be tough when one mate starts to slow down and the other is still not there yet.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:53 AM

3,461 posts, read 1,860,264 times
Quote:
I used to love going out to eat, try new restaurants , taste new cocktails, and good food. I find eating out not so appealing any except for those time when both our kids are with us and we go to our favorite place. I enjoy the ambience, being waited on while we can talk, and no clean up to do,and the company of my family all together. But with just the 2 of us I would rather cook at home and enjoy what I make which is fresher and tastier . My husband does the cleaning, which helps.
Going out with friends is not as much fun as it used to be. Our friendships have changed, many of them moved away, and we have lost touch with others. Parties bore me, all that small talk, eating fatty appetizers and dessert. I long to come home, get into bed, and pick up the book I am reading. Heaven!
I still like to travel.
I don't think we know you well enough to answer your question, it sounds like your social personality is in some kind of transition. If you're in your 70's or 80's, it may be age related but if you're in your 50's or 60's, isn't that too young to lose interest in socializing? The older I get, 60's, the more I enjoy getting out and watching life and talking with people, watching them enjoy themselves, it makes me feel good and I would consider myself an introvert. Do you enjoy being old and boring? If not, change that, dinner out doesn't necessarily have to be about the food. You could go to a quiet exclusive restaurant where waiters fuss over you while you shovel gastronomic delights into your mouth and everyone is careful not to intrude on the guests at the next table. Or, you can challenge yourself to find lively establishments with like minded people or people looking for interaction to add to their experience of being out. We enjoy pubs, my wife doesn't drink, she's far more extroverted than I am, but there's always someone to talk to and she enjoys that, waiters are more casual and friendly (IMHO), it just feels more alive. Do you know what I mean? Get out there and stay in the game of life!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:55 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,678,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, I think it is simply part of us getting older. Things that were once fun and interesting may not be that way now.

I retired twice and am back working 40 per because I get bored easily, and working is better for me. But I work with a lady who is retired and so is her husband. They both own motorcycles, and I asked the other day if they had been riding much. She said "No, he doesn't enjoy it any more, and wants us to sell them. I hope he isn't getting old on me." She looked sad about it.

It must be tough when one mate starts to slow down and the other is still not there yet.
But is one really slowing down or is it some other reason? It would be interesting to hear her husband's side.

My Dad decided to get rid of their above ground pool a few years ago. My Mom was complaining bitterly to me about it and said just because he didn't enjoy it anymore was no reason she couldn't. I gently pointed out that Dad was in his late 80's doing the all maintenance: cleaning, adding chemistry, keeping the mechanicals in working order and opening and closing the pool each season. I didn't point out all she did was wash their swimsuits and towels.

It may not be getting old as much as finally becoming tired of doing most of the work. That can take the enjoyment level down if both partners aren't sharing the load to keep their "fun" things working.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-24-2017 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 AM

6,345 posts, read 5,079,035 times
Quote:
I still like to travel.
I would be concerned that you don't find going out to dinner with just your spouse as appealing as in going with the whole family.

I love going out to eat. But I no longer enjoy going shopping. My sisters can spend hours at Wal-Mart!

Or at some touristy spot in the hill country of Texas. I went once and thought - gee most of this stuff is made in China. What is the appeal? I do love visiting obscure little towns where our past generations settled.

I also no longer like loud music and bars. I have relatives older than me that go every weekend. They drink a lot. They carry alcohol around with them!

My roommate thinks I am an alcoholic if I have one beer -

Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,735,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
May I ask you, what do you do every day. go home and get in bed by 5???
I would call you boring. I won't attribute it to "old" because i'm late 50's and plan on retiring in 2 years. let see tonight I'm going to a concert (old motown group, small venue). Saturday I'm volunteering at a back to school drive then meeting my girlfriends for lunch and a free outdoor gospel concerts. Sunday my sons and I will probably hit the Jersey shore.

Sure our dislikes and likes do change but usually not drastically.
Friends: I never had many, even in childhood. My dad's job was such that he was transferred a lot and maybe that made not get too attached. I also have a resistance to pick up the phone and call someone just to chat, I have to force myself, which I actually do and call my sisters once in a while just to hear their voice. But once I do we talk for a long time. And because these are long conversations I also have to find the time and the right time zone. I also wait a bit before returning their calls, for the same reason. My kids I call more often but they are busy so mostly we text, which is fine with me. Then my daughter will cal, my son a bit rarer. Our best friends moved away. I have contact with one and it is also only because she always contacts me and we meet any time she is town or I am in the west coast. Which is always lovely and I appreciate she does that.

Lunch dates with friends - I am actually the one who initiates it. Last time only one could make out of four, and we met. It was nice, but nice is such a weak term. Last week another friend and I (she called after a long time out of the blue) went to a comedy show in the city. It was pretty bad, the best part was what we talked about to catch up. I find theater not very appealing any more, they just are not that good. We used to get season tickets and then go out to the city for dinner before or after. The last two events we went to were pathetic. But if I can get tickets to Hamilton in NYC I will go.

Maybe I am just getting very choosy. That is very old age.

I volunteer with a group that produces shows for the community channel. That keeps me quite busy because I have been the producer for many of them. It requires research and quite a bit of prep. I have my hobbies and gym or other fitness. I am booked for an Audubon course on shorebirds this weekend.

Basically I just want to be home, putter around, read, write, cook and clean. Or travel.

Edit to add: Oh we have made new friends through our hobbies, and we do enjoy going out with them. Just one couple though. I am choosy, I already told you.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,448,174 times
Not much of anything anymore. I don't feel the music as I once did and have no reason to dance hard and keep up to performance level, even if my body allowed it. I used to like to hike but my hips hurt too much now and I don't have anyone to go with. Local hiking groups move too fast. I still like to read and sew.

Worst thing is not having anyone to do things with - everyone has died or moved away. I'm not kidding. Joining groups bores me. I prefer one on one encounters.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,735,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I don't think we know you well enough to answer your question, it sounds like your social personality is in some kind of transition. If you're in your 70's or 80's, it may be age related but if you're in your 50's or 60's, isn't that too young to lose interest in socializing? The older I get, 60's, the more I enjoy getting out and watching life and talking with people, watching them enjoy themselves, it makes me feel good and I would consider myself an introvert. Do you enjoy being old and boring? If not, change that, dinner out doesn't necessarily have to be about the food. You could go to a quiet exclusive restaurant where waiters fuss over you while you shovel gastronomic delights into your mouth and everyone is careful not to intrude on the guests at the next table. Or, you can challenge yourself to find lively establishments with like minded people or people looking for interaction to add to their experience of being out. We enjoy pubs, my wife doesn't drink, she's far more extroverted than I am, but there's always someone to talk to and she enjoys that, waiters are more casual and friendly (IMHO), it just feels more alive. Do you know what I mean? Get out there and stay in the game of life!
I am in my 60's as well. I don't know maybe I do like being old and boring. I am quite happy and contented, until I start wondering if I should be doing something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or